• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

That Aluminum is a Tricky Material..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Cautionary tale, do your inspections now and again...
IMG_20240211_131842772.jpg
IMG_20240211_130347165.jpg

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Happy ending? Kona warrantied the frame as promised. 10 year old frame replaced with a 2023. It will require some new parts but that's a solid response from Kona. For $500 he'll have basically a brand new CX bike. Fortunately he has access to cheap labour.... :ogbiggrin:

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
LOL

In the spirit of the late Jobst Brandt, I challenge him to show more compliance in any frame besides aluminum! Sure if you have a carbon with some built-in iso blobs or flexy posts. But really, you're sitting at the apex of a triangle, show me where the compliance is!!! :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Happy ending? Kona warrantied the frame as promised. 10 year old frame replaced with a 2023. It will require some new parts but that's a solid response from Kona. For $500 he'll have basically a brand new CX bike. Fortunately he has access to cheap labour.... :ogbiggrin:

BB? Brakes? HS? What changes to the drivetrain?

If that's a 2012 wheelset you might be able to get one of those ginormous Mz plates from Sunrace, go to 1x front and lose the FD cabling?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Seatpost, front der and headset work, same sizes. Rear der, cassette chain, stem, bars, cables good. Basically BB and crankset (Shimano and GRX 600), wheelset (work in progress) and calipers (TRP hyd/mech hybrid on sale currently here for $50 each). Soma had some Suzue wheels on for $104 (!!). $20 for thru-axle conversion and needs discs. Sale is over..currently trolling for wheelsets or I'll build a set from whatever bargain bin stuff he can find. Frame arrives next week. I'll post something of the final build. Looks decent though.

Again, good on Kona for making the warranty happen.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
You know, setting up a motion amplification camera could be a quite fun project...
Honestly, one of the primary reasons I like sloping top tube is longer seatpost which offers compliance. They really need to compare apples to apples in these "aluminum is harsh" things..

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, one of the primary reasons I like sloping top tube is longer seatpost which offers compliance. They really need to compare apples to apples in these "aluminum is harsh" things..

Shall we raise our glasses to the nice people at Giant then?

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
In the spirit of the late Jobst Brandt, I challenge him to show more compliance in any frame besides aluminum! Sure if you have a carbon with some built-in iso blobs or flexy posts. But really, you're sitting at the apex of a triangle, show me where the compliance is!!! :ogbiggrin:
I like modern aluminum! One of my carbon bikes is probably the smoothest bike I've ever ridden - Salsa Cutthroat. But that said, I've been on a couple of far cheaper Alu bikes lately too,and they have been remarkably smooth. Even one with a cheap aluminum fork that is significantly smoother riding than aome carbon forks. Some aluminum tubing tuned up really nicely nowadays!

On the other hand, I bought a aluminum Specialized e-hybrid for my wife maybe a year ago. Not cheap, and it rode like a miserable rattle trap from the late 1980's. Sold it. I'd almost forgotten how bad aluminum used to be, didn't love the ride down memory lane.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I hear they'll be bankrupt by summer and that it's fairly self inflicted. Glad this frame got done!

Yup, that's definitely floating around out there.

But always easy to armchair quarterback (see Peak thread).

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steel has an endurance limit and if stresses are below that it won't crack (theoretically, it gets more complicated in practice). Aluminum does not have a limit and will crack with enough cycles.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Ended up with a new Shimano RS510 crankset with 46x36, new standard ultegra bb, take off TRP Spyre mechanical calipers and used Shimano RS rims with 105 12 sp hubs. He's into it for $1300 all in. Not bad. Rebuilt everything along the way. Fits perfectly and mechanically is as good as new. I personally found it a bit short on top and a little too long in wheelbase and head angle. But good for gravel. Customer is happy and that's really all that counts.

Sponsor