• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

the_eleven

Booting up
Skier
Does this work on a Mimic Platinum liners or only Memory Fit? I have an Ultra foot in a Prime shell....and could use some firming up.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Anyone done an intuition fit alongside a memory fit? If so...need to do them separately (mem fit then intuition fit?) -- or can be done all at once?

Context: Putting some Intuition pro tours into my well loved XTD Ultra 130s. They have never been memory-fitted or punched, but the new liner is a bit higher volume and toes have always needed a bit more room -- esp with the new liners. I've got an appointment tomorrow with a shop that does memory fit but wanted to go in there well informed.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone done an intuition fit alongside a memory fit? If so...need to do them separately (mem fit then intuition fit?) -- or can be done all at once?

Context: Putting some Intuition pro tours into my well loved XTD Ultra 130s. They have never been memory-fitted or punched, but the new liner is a bit higher volume and toes have always needed a bit more room -- esp with the new liners. I've got an appointment tomorrow with a shop that does memory fit but wanted to go in there well informed.

I have done the memory fit twice on my XTD's. They heat both the boot and and liner for the process. So as I see it, you just have them heat your intuition's instead of the stock liner. For more toe room, use the top caps they have. I did that on my second Mem fit and it worked perfect. Toes are really comfortable now. The second mem fit was for my new Mimic liner in the boot and to use toe caps for more room. The Mimic liner really transforms the boot into a decent resort boot, and you don't loose much for uphill. You do gain some weight, though. I kept the original light weight orange liners if I ever want to put them back in. So far I haven't bothered as the Mimic's go uphill just fine.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I have done the memory fit twice on my XTD's. They heat both the boot and and liner for the process. So as I see it, you just have them heat your intuition's instead of the stock liner. For more toe room, use the top caps they have. I did that on my second Mem fit and it worked perfect. Toes are really comfortable now. The second mem fit was for my new Mimic liner in the boot and to use toe caps for more room. The Mimic liner really transforms the boot into a decent resort boot, and you don't loose much for uphill. You do gain some weight, though. I kept the original light weight orange liners if I ever want to put them back in. So far I haven't bothered as the Mimic's go uphill just fine.
Great -- thanks. Sounds like it should be heating the whole dealio, padding the foot, shoving it in, and waiting.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Does this work on a Mimic Platinum liners or only Memory Fit? I have an Ultra foot in a Prime shell....and could use some firming up.
They work on all liners of all kinds. It's a universal boot-fitting tool for exactly the reason you described.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Great -- thanks. Sounds like it should be heating the whole dealio, padding the foot, shoving it in, and waiting.
The only thing I would add is that you absolutely cannot buckle boots tightly after the shells come out of the oven (which is sometimes done to form Intuition liners). Very light buckle pressure, just enough to close the boot up.

If you bake & mold both at the same time you might mold only the liners later on. Depends on how everything jives together following the first Memory Fit + Intuition process.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Matt, now I am a bit confused about the process. When I get my Professional Liner molded and foamed into my Hawx Prime 130s shells, which have been molded and punched, I understood that I do not want to remold the shell. Is this correct?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Matt, now I am a bit confused about the process. When I get my Professional Liner molded and foamed into my Hawx Prime 130s shells, which have been molded and punched, I understood that I do not want to remold the shell. Is this correct?
That is correct. If the shell works for your foot, just fit the liner.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The only thing I would add is that you absolutely cannot buckle boots tightly after the shells come out of the oven (which is sometimes done to form Intuition liners). Very light buckle pressure, just enough to close the boot up.

If you bake & mold both at the same time you might mold only the liners later on. Depends on how everything jives together following the first Memory Fit + Intuition process.
So appreciate the insight.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Did exactly this -- used up an Atomic fit kit for pressure spots/extra toe room...very impressed with first round. I expect I won't need another mold of the intuition. (In my experience I can ski'em hard enough to mostly mold them -- if they aren't so painful I can't ski.) After 100+ days in the orig orange liners I expect these to be quite the upgrade. Should be able to get this and at least one more season out of these boots.... That'll make 5? 6? years I've had 'em. The only durability issue I've had is the boot boards are super brittle and both broke in same spot under the heel.

Got to fondle the pro series boot and liner for the first time. While I've got a stockpile of Lange RXs for shells that work for me with no work, I see a professional mimic liner in my future after this season inside them.

Fitters quite enjoyed my boots with their brand-identity crisis.

267394984_445639333731527_6057885355428870243_n.jpeg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Finally got my Hawx Magnas all day plush comfy with Zipfit Grand Prix( now the freeride). Who knew you could happilly wear ski boots all day and unclip only for walking?,

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Matt, what would be the best fit if I wanted to change the stock liners of my Lange RS 130 for Mimic ones. Size 27,5, last 97mm boots.
I guess Ultra, that correct? Or CS?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did exactly this -- used up an Atomic fit kit for pressure spots/extra toe room...very impressed with first round. I expect I won't need another mold of the intuition. (In my experience I can ski'em hard enough to mostly mold them -- if they aren't so painful I can't ski.) After 100+ days in the orig orange liners I expect these to be quite the upgrade. Should be able to get this and at least one more season out of these boots.... That'll make 5? 6? years I've had 'em. The only durability issue I've had is the boot boards are super brittle and both broke in same spot under the heel.

Got to fondle the pro series boot and liner for the first time. While I've got a stockpile of Lange RXs for shells that work for me with no work, I see a professional mimic liner in my future after this season inside them.

Fitters quite enjoyed my boots with their brand-identity crisis.

View attachment 152409

Overthinking everything waiting for snow in the NE to actually use the boots, I tried the Scarpa Pro Flex G (Intuition) Liners in Tecnica Zero G Tour Scout boots for a more Alpine Boot Fit out of the Zero G's and ended up going back to the stock liners. The Scarpa Pro Flex did tighten up the heel pocket. They also lowered the instep to heel distance to where I removed the heel lift wedges added by the boot fitter to keep my heel from lifting which was good, only then I listened to a Blister Podcast ( ~ 12m in), about the Zero G etc., and how a touring boot should fit and realized the boot fitter probably got it right with the stock liners, heel lift wedge and MasterFit footbed. The boot fitter also widened the shells at my pinky toes. The right bothered me, left wasn't bad but I had him do both for the extra room which I'm sure I'll appreciate on the up. Zero G has golf ball like dimpled zones for heating and molding shells to feet so no visible bulges or anything weird looking going on with the boots.
My biggest problem with the Scarpa Pro Flex G Liner was that it has a rather wide elongated oval throat (obviously fit to match Scarpa Maestrale shells) which made it difficult to put the tounge back inside the boot and within the liner when putting the boots on. I imagine that would be even worse booting up in a cold parking lot when the boots are cold and stiffen up.
If after I actually tour in the boots I find the need for more ankle hold I'll either try an Intuition Pro Tour Medium volume and maybe add the High Volume Pro Tour Flex Tongue or move on to a different boot. I'm just getting started with this stuff and may decide I want a lighter weight boot so figured the Zero G was a good place to start.
I did try on the Atomic Hawk something or another but never at the same time as the Zero G's, the Hawks seemed workable too. It was more a matter of which boot was available at the time vs traveling far out of state or online ordering the Atomics and good luck with a boot fitter at a shop I didn't purchase the boots from.

scarpa-pro-flex-g-ski-boot-liner-for-men~a~58hrt_2~1500.1.jpg

PRO_TOUR3.jpg

Last edited:

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
“ the heel lift wedges added by the boot fitter to keep my heel from lifting which was good,”

Hell lifts should only be used for limited ankle motion. Which if you have it they will both solve heel lift and for aft alignment issues.

If tyou have normal or above normal ankle dorsiflexion heel lifts will throw off your fore aft balance.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
"only" to me is a strong word when it comes to any bootfitting advice.

The "only" thing that matters to me in a solution is that it solves a problem and is a net gain for the skier. Maybe a wedge puts them in a better spot in the shell. Maybe the like the effective change to the zeppa/ramp angle. Maybe the snugging of the instep is a gain.

Not everyone has the time, energy, funds or access to an absolutely perfect setup. And most people don't need the perfection of a racer.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 152194 View attachment 152195 View attachment 152196

We made EVA foam pads that get glued onto the liner to reduce excess volume. The pads themselves are 3D-formed with tapered edges, covered in Cordura fabric for durability, and fully heat-moldable to match the contours of your anatomy & shell shape. The glue that is provided is the same glue we use to attach the outsole to the liner (read: very strong).

The kit includes: 4 ankle pads, 2 top of forefoot pads, 4 side of foot pads, glue & application brush.

And now tell us we can order it direct?

Oh please, let it be so! I could use a little bit more squeeze around the heel while I'm patiently awaiting the Pro Liners.

And, while I'm looking this gift horse in the mouth, a link would send things right over the top. :ogbiggrin:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
are there flex/stiffness variations between sizes in 130 CS redster?

my 28.5 are 2020 mod, my 27.5 are 2021 mod, and the 27.5 just feel a bit softer in ancle / upper cuff section, might be all in my head. been skiing them in -5c to -18c so doubt its the massive heat ;)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What I know is the liners might be different, Mimic versus non-mimic (forgot what they called the non-mimic liner). I thought they put the mimic liner in the 2021 model. I changed my Hawx Ultra XTD from stock lightweight liner to a mimic and the mimic flexed a little softer. That surprised me, cause the fit was better with the mimic, but the tongue was stiffer on the stock liner. From ONK's Blister pod casts, he said the fit of the boot on your foot will make the boot feel stiffer or softer. I believe the better it fits, the softer it feels. Your hole foot gets into the flex "action" when the fit is good and spreads the load out over more surface area and therefore less force per unit area.

Sponsor

Staff online