• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ That is quite the deal. Hope you like them and they work for your foot. They can do a lot to them, including heat molding them.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ That is quite the deal. Hope you like them and they work for your foot. They can do a lot to them, including heat molding them.
My feet are 83mm wide at their widest and my heels are tiny. I’ll drop my ZipFit liner in them if I end up keeping them.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
are there flex/stiffness variations between sizes in 130 CS redster?

my 28.5 are 2020 mod, my 27.5 are 2021 mod, and the 27.5 just feel a bit softer in ancle / upper cuff section, might be all in my head. been skiing them in -5c to -18c so doubt its the massive heat ;)
Not between those sizes, and we haven't adjusted the injection material since the first year of this series (17/18) - it was way too stiff and after that first year it hasn't changed since it was adjusted.

While it may not seem like a lot, but going from -5° to -18° is a huge jump in terms of how a PU boot will feel. That will for sure affect the stiffness of the boot.

You are also most likely feeling the plastic manufacturer's material hardness tolerance, which can be noticeable at times. Your boots are definitely different production batches, so the chance that they are actually the exact same hardness is very low. This will be true for all plastics, for all boots, from all manufacturers.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
92mm Rossignol ZJ. At a 22.5 it's about 85mm wide I believe.

The Club Sport boot you bought might work well for you. I tried on Atomic's Redster WC boot (equivalent to the Rossi ZJ, Lange's WC or plug race series) which has a 92 mm last versus the Club Sport 96 mm last, and the CS fit was snugger on my foot, overall. The CS liner was much thicker and denser and made the boot fit my foot better. I had one bony spot that hit the shell, and it was a little worse in the 92 compared to the 96 last. Basically the heel was narrower.

When you are boot shopping again, try on the Atomic Redster STI series boot. Its a 92 mm last (in size 26, so 86 mm in your size). It should be easier to flex than a ZJ boot, but that's not always consistent with their flex numbers. If that boot gets offered with the professional foam liner, that would be a very good candidate for you too. I would expect what you have with the Zipfit should be a good solution for you, maybe a little stiff?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not between those sizes, and we haven't adjusted the injection material since the first year of this series (17/18) - it was way too stiff and after that first year it hasn't changed since it was adjusted.

While it may not seem like a lot, but going from -5° to -18° is a huge jump in terms of how a PU boot will feel. That will for sure affect the stiffness of the boot.

You are also most likely feeling the plastic manufacturer's material hardness tolerance, which can be noticeable at times. Your boots are definitely different production batches, so the chance that they are actually the exact same hardness is very low. This will be true for all plastics, for all boots, from all manufacturers.
more skiing today, I can say I skied them -6 to -18 now, and the larger 28.5 also in + temps ;) did some work to them yesterday and I'm getting friendly with them, jansrud toe isnt killing me.

the 27.5 just feels softer, not bad (best recreational boot I've skied) or to soft, just softer, I wonder it can be related to overlap on upper cuff? I had to move the ratchets to the outer notch, and Im kinda opening up the boot a lot when I step in & out ;) I dont really have that big calvs, but my boots suggest I do.

Will ski them 5-10 more days and see, its probably all in my mind.

my local favoriteshop stil hasnt gotten the pro liners, so I will probably just to to the atomic test center at snø which is only 30 mins away. blisters review was interesting and selling :)

the 130 CS redster keeps me happy. but when switching to other boots (touring etc), I'm left wanting

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Club Sport boot you bought might work well for you. I tried on Atomic's Redster WC boot (equivalent to the Rossi ZJ, Lange's WC or plug race series) which has a 92 mm last versus the Club Sport 96 mm last, and the CS fit was snugger on my foot, overall. The CS liner was much thicker and denser and made the boot fit my foot better. I had one bony spot that hit the shell, and it was a little worse in the 92 compared to the 96 last. Basically the heel was narrower.

When you are boot shopping again, try on the Atomic Redster STI series boot. Its a 92 mm last (in size 26, so 86 mm in your size). It should be easier to flex than a ZJ boot, but that's not always consistent with their flex numbers. If that boot gets offered with the professional foam liner, that would be a very good candidate for you too. I would expect what you have with the Zipfit should be a good solution for you, maybe a little stiff?
I didn’t order the club sport, I ordered the WC. I might have linked the wrong one, not sure. The Zipfits don’t feel stiff to me so that’s good.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn’t order the club sport, I ordered the WC. I might have linked the wrong one, not sure. The Zipfits don’t feel stiff to me so that’s good.

My mistake, I thought it was the CS. So that is the 92 last boot that I tried on in size 28.5, with a 130 flex. So in your size the last should be 84mm, which is better for your foot. That might be a great fit for you. I found the 130 flex WC to feel like a 150 flex to me, so your 110 will be softer, but maybe a bit stiff, depending on your preference. Keep in mind the shell can be cut easily to soften the boot if the fit is good and you feel its too stiff. From ONK, the STI version of that boot is softer flexing and aimed at a lighter person.

1640714095699.png

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My mistake, I thought it was the CS. So that is the 92 last boot that I tried on in size 28.5, with a 130 flex. So in your size the last should be 84mm, which is better for your foot. That might be a great fit for you. I found the 130 flex WC to feel like a 150 flex to me, so your 110 will be softer, but maybe a bit stiff, depending on your preference. Keep in mind the shell can be cut easily to soften the boot if the fit is good and you feel its too stiff. From ONK, the STI version of that boot is softer flexing and aimed at a lighter person.

View attachment 153050
That's a great chart! Yes, I figure at a 22.5 in a 92 last boot that they are around 84mm so it doesn't get much better than that. I'm in a 92mm last Rossi right now and haven't had to grind anything--in fact, I STILL have to take up space with a ZipFit WC liner with some cork added on both sides. Word is the heel cup on the Redster is smaller than the heel cup on the Rossi which would be great. I think the 110 flex will work fine but can definitely do the modifications to soften if necessary. I'm becoming convinced that a well balanced fore/aft shell can allow for a stiffer boot and frankly with my hypermobility, stiffer is generally better.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If tyou have normal or above normal ankle dorsiflexion heel lifts will throw off your fore aft balance.
Not necessarily…

I have normal (skewed towards above normal) dorsiflexion, and heel lifts fixed my balance in my touring set-up. However, I would be miserable with them in my in-bounds boots. My touring boots have a super flat ramp, plus way too much space on the instep…two birds, one stone. As a bonus, my AT boots are just a smidge shorter than I ideally wanted them. The heel lift pulled my foot back *just enough* to pull my toes off of the front.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

So it seems that the WC 110 that I apparently ordered and the STI 110 are rather different animals. This from my friend whose daughter races in Atomic.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So it seems that the WC 110 that I apparently ordered and the STI 110 are rather different animals. This from my friend whose daughter races in Atomic.

I am in my 2nd pair of 24.5 WC 130 boot. Tried on the current 130 TI (24.5), fitted like a glove. Stuck my foot into the 24.5 STI. Just for laughs. Ouch. That is one seriously slim fitting boot.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am in my 2nd pair of 24.5 WC 130 boot. Tried on the current 130 TI (24.5), fitted like a glove. Stuck my foot into the 24.5 STI. Just for laughs. Ouch. That is one seriously slim fitting boot.
Which is what I need. I'll have to see how the WC fits. I can always return them.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Purchased these for the daughter for Christmas. Molded them for her and first night out was a succes. All skiers in the family now have Atomics and 3 have the Hawks. Also 3 skiers have Renouns. :) Might be cool pic, but would have to ski Utah.

1640894726834.png

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Purchased these for the daughter for Christmas. Molded them for her and first night out was a succes. All skiers in the family now have Atomics and 3 have the Hawks. Also 3 skiers have Renouns. :) Might be cool pic, but would have to ski Utah.

View attachment 153310
Damn i know it doesn't matter what the boots *look* like, but that colourway is fire. Dark grey/black boots with the mint accents - love it! Glad your daughter is enjoying them :)

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
Thanks so much for the great info. Awesome response. Sorry about the boat comment (sometimes I try to be funny and fail). Yes, the white board produced much more volume, for me anyway.
I'm going to go ski the STI now. I'll report back afterwards. It feels like this boot was made for me. I weigh 155-160lbs, 5'11, cyclist build. I usually cut my 150 Dobie to a 140, but I'm not getting any younger at 52yrs old.
@Mike B, what are your thoughts on the STI 130 :D

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
92mm Rossignol ZJ. At a 22.5 it's about 85mm wide I believe.
Your boots must be 84mm wide if they are 22.5, in actuality 84+ as the ZJ+ has more space sculptured inside for the ankle and the forefoot(this is true for the ZSoft+ and ZA+, as well). I've tried STI 110 and ZA(the slightly narrower version of your boot) both in 25.5. and the STI does indeed feel narrower(very low instep as well) even though it's rated at 93mm for the 26.5. The last is very roundish inside which "shrinks" it in feel.

I am very curious to see if the shell is able to handle the WC Sidewinder... The instep is seriously low. See the picture below.
Screenshot_20211223-012442.png

Note: according to a video in YT that I watched the STI has a positive sole cant of 1 degree. @onenerdykid can you confirm that?
Screenshot_20211223-012540.png

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Your boots must be 84mm wide if they are 22.5, in actuality 84+ as the ZJ+ has more space sculptured inside for the ankle and the forefoot(this is true for the ZSoft+ and ZA+, as well). I've tried STI 110 and ZA(the slightly narrower version of your boot) both in 25.5. and the STI does indeed feel narrower(very low instep as well) even though it's rated at 93mm for the 26.5. The last is very roundish inside which "shrinks" it in feel.

I am very curious to see if the shell is able to handle the WC Sidewinder... The instep is seriously low. See the picture below.
View attachment 153369

Note: according to a video in YT that I watched the STI has a positive sole cant of 1 degree. @onenerdykid can you confirm that?
View attachment 153373
I think you are correct that the ZJ are in fact narrower in a 22.5.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Level Nine was having serious issues fulfilling my order. I canceled it and picked up another Rossi ZJ+. The shells with the Zipfit work so well for me. I'm going to take baby steps getting the fore/aft and canting dialed in this time around. I'm fortunate that I can get on the hill several days per week to test things out.

Sponsor