• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
4 dog night, mom, dad, and the twins.
20240218_190955.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
20240227_143916.jpg
20240227_143920.jpg
20240227_144835.jpg

I was driving from Tucson to Brian Head and this guy was walking in the desert along side the road. At first I thought coyote but got closer and saw it wasn't. It took about 30 minutes to get his trust with some string cheese to where he'd let me touch him. Soon he'd lie down and let me pet him. I put a leash on him and he freaked out so I took it off. Finally I was able to pick him up (he wasn't hurt) and put him in the truck. This was north of Flagstaff and Cameron on 89. Not much there.

I stopped in Page hoping their animal control was open but it wasn't. There appeared to be a animal sanctuary in Kanab but they were closed when I called. I passed two Kane County, UT deputies parked on the side of the highway, turned around, and stopped and asked if Kane County has a shelter. They were very helpful, called ahead to Kanab to Kanab PD, and a Sergeant met me at the shelter. It is a no kill so that was good.

He's super sweet and I hope I didn't take someone's dog 150 miles away from home. I think he was on a reservation but there were no homes for several miles. Besides the string cheese he'd eaten macaroni somewhere along the way. We found that out the messy way. Twice.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
View attachment 227215 View attachment 227216 View attachment 227217
I was driving from Tucson to Brian Head and this guy was walking in the desert along side the road. At first I thought coyote but got closer and saw it wasn't. It took about 30 minutes to get his trust with some string cheese to where he'd let me touch him. Soon he'd lie down and let me pet him. I put a leash on him and he freaked out so I took it off. Finally I was able to pick him up (he wasn't hurt) and put him in the truck. This was north of Flagstaff and Cameron on 89. Not much there.

I stopped in Page hoping their animal control was open but it wasn't. There appeared to be a animal sanctuary in Kanab but they were closed when I called. I passed two Kane County, UT deputies parked on the side of the highway, turned around, and stopped and asked if Kane County has a shelter. They were very helpful, called ahead to Kanab to Kanab PD, and a Sergeant met me at the shelter. It is a no kill so that was good.

He's super sweet and I hope I didn't take someone's dog 150 miles away from home. I think he was on a reservation but there were no homes for several miles. Besides the string cheese he'd eaten macaroni somewhere along the way. We found that out the messy way. Twice.
Nice work, helping mans best friend.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We're thinking of getting a dog after ski season. This will give us 6 months to establish a routing before we start skiing again in November. Haven't had a dog in 10 years. Have cats that are 6, 7 and 14. Don't want to give any of them a heart attack so thinking a medium energy cat savvy adult dog would be best. Thinking of fostering so that we can help dogs in general and if it's not a match it won't be long term. If it is a match we'll have first right of adoption.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly, the stray dog situation on reservations in the southwest is really bad. There are hundreds of thousands of stray dogs just roaming. The rescue Ginsburg is from does a lot of work in the 4 corners region and just raised enough money in a fundraiser on local television to host 2 spay/neuter clinics on the Navajo or Ute reservation.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
with luck, he's microchipped. If not, he will be .. if they operate like most rescues.

every little pet should be, makes things so much easier.
Luckily it's a no kill and they go to another sanctuary after a certain number of days.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Meet Ziggy, he's a Moyen, small standard, poodle. He's 14 months old, but hasn't lived inside or had any training. He is very well adjusted socially. It's going to take a lot of work, but he's smart. He learned stairs in less than a day.
PXL_20240317_172651292.jpg
PXL_20240317_172526139.jpg
PXL_20240318_000853594.MP.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online