• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The end of Ski Magazine is on the horizon

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is never healthy for an industry to lose a major player. Outside Inc, Ski Magazine's parent is announcing that there will only be two additional issues published. Skiing, Powder, and now Ski. If you work at Freeride, is it time to update your resume?

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 5.15.06 PM.png

Edit to add second page of the email.
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 6.48.39 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a typo in the last sentence of the second paragraph? ...Ski annual is will look like...

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a typo in the last sentence of the second paragraph? ...Ski annual is will look like...
Probably not a good time for their ability to hire an editor.

James

Out There
Instructor
Unfortunately it’s been pretty irrelevant for awhile. I read most of Skiing History, but not much of Ski.

Should be ‘issue’.
See, those who read have left the proverbial building already.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hard to care - it was hardly acclaimed for fierce, independent, relevant, quality journalism was it?

I still have some piles of old ski, snowboard, music, mtb mags languishing in the bottom of a wardrobe. Can't say I've even flipped a copy on a rack the past few years.

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
As the hard copy ski magazines shut down, what are the leading media sites that are filling the void?

There are a number of forums that seem to be draws for hardcore skiers such as SkiTalk, TGR, and NewSchoolers, but what about more "traditional/generalist" ski media that exist as entities on .com, YT, etc?

I'm assuming there must be a market for the more casual skier....

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As the hard copy ski magazines shut down, what are the leading media sites that are filling the void?

There are a number of forums that seem to be draws for hardcore skiers such as SkiTalk, TGR, and NewSchoolers, but what about more "traditional/generalist" ski media that exist as entities on .com, YT, etc?

This is the problem, there are still many people that are unaware that sites like this/these exist.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just checked out the SkiMag.com website, which I think is where the online version of Ski Magazine resides? Haven't perused the website too much in recent years, but looks like the site has been remodeled as a subset of Outside Mag's online presence? Website contains lots of interesting article topics, with about half behind a paywall.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

I think you probably have to define more casual skier. I'd say there are plenty of websites/channels that serve all sorts of skier from travel to family to instruction to stoke to jerries (I mean even Ed Sheeran is a follower of Jerry of the Day). Of course quality is variable and badly edited cut and pastes, poor listicles and naive personal experience abound but wheat from chaff is essential in parsing all media. The fact that poor listicles, resort funded travel articles and repetitive tips are not harboured in a glossy mag which is more ad than content doesn't mean the casual skier has been failed.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just checked out the SkiMag.com website, which I think is where the online version of Ski Magazine resides? Haven't perused the website too much in recent years, but looks like the site has been remodeled as a subset of Outside Mag's online presence? Website contains lots of interesting article topics, with about half behind a paywall.
This does expose what, for me, is one of the weaknesses in online subscription content vs. print. I am prepared to plunk down the five bucks for the print copy of the annual SKI gear issue so I can have it next to the toilet. I am not prepared to subscribe to Outside Online for whatever-it-is per month, so that I can realize at the end of the year that I've spent $120 on the stupid thing. I understand that what for me is a bug is a feature for the publishing industry. But guess what? Not only are they not getting my $120, they're also not getting my $5.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yep - all online media need to think about a pay per month model which doesn't depend on a recurring subscription. There are so many things I'd be willing to pay a one off charge for but simply don't want to risk forgetting to cancel or don't need for the full year - e.g. maybe a travel mag is useful when planning a vacation or a consumer mag when buying a washing machine. Of course that would expose the reality of how consumers want to use media

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I first started working in ski shops 12 years ago we would occasionally see a customer walk in with a ski buyer's guide in hand as a reference to look at skis. I haven't seen that in at least 8 or 9 years.
I'll admit that I've been a subscriber, in part because it makes sense for us to keep tabs on what's happening, and we skied with one of their editors back in January.
Sadly its been obvious that the print magazine has been a shell of what it once was for a very long time.

Think about it, going back to Epic days someone always posted with excitement when the buyer's guide landed in their mailbox but we haven't seen that kind of excitement for a very long time. I wonder how much is because reviews like ours have been available for several months before the buyer's guide is printed.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was trying to remember how long ago SKI was acquired.
It's only been two years!

Sponsor

Staff online