• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Broke out the CT 1.0s today, was a struggle early with breaking in new boats but once I got things squared away they were great on firm snow, very stable even in choppier stuff. Will need to detune them a bit more in the soft stuff.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Broke out the CT 1.0s today, was a struggle early with breaking in new boats but once I got things squared away they were great on firm snow, very stable even in choppier stuff. Will need to detune them a bit more in the soft stuff.
They should not need to be detuned as they should be sharp up to their widest taper points.
Check the base flatness and if okay that the base bevel is even tip to tail at 1 degree. Bet it’s the base bevel as they usually have more of a race tune on them. Might be a more aggressive than a 1 degree base bevel right now(especially at the tips and tails).
Have mine with a 1/3 tune sharp to the widest taper points and then smooth above that.

Was out all day on mine and were great even with Spring like, heavy crud conditions in the afternoon. Usually had to swap to different skis by the afternoon with the Kendo 88s.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@GregK, finally broke down and ordered a pair of Faction CT 1.0 183s: for now instead of sized down 3D Kendo 170 or 177s for steeps, steep bumps; and whatnot; it will be a bonus if the 1.0s can do the same things on steeps, but If in the case of the 1.0s, I gain a strong ski for more playfulness on groomers, off piste versatility, and more playfulness all around, I'll be happy. Even if the 1.0s can't do what the down-sized Kendo slalom-like short ski carve can do, seems it will be a fun ski for lots of stuff, and a great change of pace to my normal race ski and more directional, precise-carving narrow skis. Thanks!

I believe you wrote above that you mounted yours at - 2. (with - 1.5 for the 2.0s and -3 for the 3.0s? Did I get that right?)
I may mount mine with Schizo bindings or demo bindings, so I can play with mount point ongoing.

Thanks again (along with thanks to @anders_nor also), for your scouting out these '21 CTs for a bunch of us!

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ski otter 2 Glad you got a set! You’ll love them. Insane deal right now for how great of a ski it is. Mine are much stiffer than my 184cm Kendo 88s were and about 225gr heavier yet feel lighter with their mount point and quieter with their rubber dampening.

The CT marked mounting points go further back from Center as they go wider because they are more directional so I actually have my CT 1.0 the furthest back -2cm(-4cm total). All the others are around -1.5cm back as I’m used to more forward mounts and that seems to be the actual Center of the “minimum width” range on the CT skis.

Went a bit further back to -2cm on the CT 1.0 to make it even more stable. For your size and the fact that you’re used to more Center mounted skis, I wouldn’t hesitate to go -1.5 or -2cm with yours. There it’s a good mix of playful and ability to still drive the ski.

The larger guys who are used to more traditional mounts I’d recommend putting most CT skis -3cm back of the CT line near the end of the “minimum width sweet spot range. Will give the most stability, float and will make them ski longer especially on the CT 1.0 which tops out at 183cm.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
More people joining the 21 CT cult! Love it. Haha

@Rdputnam515 just reminded me that I never mentioned the Sierra.com deal I saw when looking for some 21 178cm CT 3.0 skis for him.
Sierra.com has the 21 169cm CT 3.0 and the 169cm and 178cm CT 3.0x on right now for $399.99 US. Only the top sheet and base colour is different between those two skis so if someone is looking for a great powder/Spring ski in those lengths, it’s a fantastic deal. The 3.0x would look great with a set of red(or yellow!) bindings on them.

Forgot to mention that on the Sierra.com site it has 2 separate listings for the 3.0x skis. I guess when inventory shipments come in there on separate dates they are assigned different item numbers.
They are the same ski and just arrived on a different date to their warehouse so purchase from either link.

Last edited:

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
More people joining the 21 CT cult! Love it. Haha

@Rdputnam515 just reminded me that I never mentioned the Sierra.com deal I saw when looking for some 21 178cm CT 3.0 skis for him.
Sierra.com has the 21 169cm CT 3.0 and the 169cm and 178cm CT 3.0x on right now for $399.99 US. Only the top sheet and base colour is different between those two skis so if someone is looking for a great powder/Spring ski in those lengths, it’s a fantastic deal. The 3.0x would look great with a set of red bindings on them.
Or yellow lol

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the 2021 lineup has been very very very good, marketing around it has not. will be interesting to see new names & what happens for 2023

2021-12-15 23.00.45.jpg

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Boards arrived today as advertised and hey they don’t look half bad. Kind of a seventies color scheme. Made in Ukraine factory (Fischer was made there before a fire)

Good deal on them for sure

7EBF6F84-62C2-48E6-9CDE-AB3B2A7749DE.jpeg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Boards arrived today as advertised and hey they don’t look half bad. Kind of a seventies color scheme. Made in Ukraine factory (Fischer was made there before a fire)

Good deal on them for sure

View attachment 151678
Glad you got them okay. Pretty quick turnaround for Sierra to get them to you. Think they look better in person too!

All the Factions for 21 were made in either the Ukraine or Austrian Fisher plants so you are correct.
If you have a kitchen scale I’m curious what they weigh! Did you get some yellow bindings to match?

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Glad you got them okay. Pretty quick turnaround for Sierra to get them to you. Think they look better in person too!

All the Factions for 21 were made in either the Ukraine or Austrian Fisher plants so you are correct.
If you have a kitchen scale I’m curious what they weigh! Did you get some yellow bindings to match?
No bindings yet, I will wait till after Christmas. High tide won’t come until late Feb into March.
yeah they ship from Cheyenne, only about 40 miles north of me.

I will weight up the pair and post the weights later on today.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
We are looking at

2138g label on ski so a few grams heavier than actual
2111g

4249ish g/pair on an accurate scale
Thanks for measuring! The spec is 2090gr each, so like most of the 21 CT line they are a bit over spec. The right ski in the pair is always a bit heavier it seems. :huh:

They should be a BIG upgrade in suspension over the previous or current versions yet still feel light on your feet.
The 20 version was around 1850gr each(similar to your 180cm Kore 99) and the 22 version is a bit over 1900gr each.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@GregK, finally broke down and ordered a pair of Faction CT 1.0 183s

Just got 21 3.0x on order waiting for them to arrive.

Greg beat me to it, but welcome to the cult.

I have (2021) 190cm CT 3.0 and 183 CT 1.0 skis now. Still mounting the 1.0's, so they weren't ready to ski today for my first day of the year. Went to Loon Mtn in NH for a bluebird day with temps right around 40 deg ( 4.4 C) for you metric cult members (you know who you are). Expected softish snow, got boiler plate everywhere. Even with no clouds, all their trails but one where shaded by trees and never softened up. The one which got full sun was piles of sugar snow and really fun. 100% man made snow. I took the CT 3.0 with me just to see what I thought of them. Spent the day on my 187cm Brahma's which were really sharp and skied well. The best trail had lots of death cookies, but the Brahma's did well regardless. It really is a good all around ski. Decided to try the CT 3.0 at the end of the day for 2 runs before quitting.

They definitely ski different than the Brahmas. Edge grip was not as good, although not terrible either. I actually was hoping for better grip, but it was really firm conditions. I could get them on edge fairly easily, especially for such a wide ski, but they weren't going to bite real hard no matter what I did. It really wasn't a fair test in those conditions and on the positive side I didn't want to immediately get off them. I skied a DPS Wailer (112mm) in those conditions and couldn't wait to get off them.

At the bottom of the run there was about 500 ft of sugar snow (the sun was hitting it) and once I hit that, the skis transformed. They became carvy, felt much lighter, and were really fun. Basically the tip began contributing to the turn and the ski came alive. I could make them do whatever I wanted. Really nice. They are a wide ski biased towards softer snow and I just learned their not horrible on boiler plate, but not great either. Now I have higher expectations for the CT 1.0's on boiler plate, but we will see soon I hope. (should have been on those today)

I think I have the 3.0's mounted at -2.0 from the candide line, whatever Greg told me to do. I am a Clyde. I have them on adjustable bindings and will try them at other settings once we get some decent snow. My first run I did think I was kind of forward, but they felt fine there, it was more of a mental thing after being on the Brahmas which are about -10cm from true center. By the second run they seemed normal and felt fine. They are definitely a more forward mount ski, but they are designed for that, so I plan to just adjust to it and see how I like it. They are very stable and feel very good. I compare them to my son's Moment Bibby in my mind (as that was the other ski choice I was considering). I never skied the Bibby in these type of conditions, so not much to say yet. I can tell I will like these skis, but need some better conditions to really find out what they can do.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
These skis are not anywhere near as stiff as my Kores but not complete noodles either.

interested to see how much energy I can put into them
The tip/tails stiffness in the CT should be very similar to the Kores but the CT are softer underfoot so they hand flex softer if you’re pushing in the Center of the ski.
One of the reasons the tips don’t deflect on the CT through crud yet their more forgiving flex underfoot makes them very fun in bumps and off piste.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Curious to see if everyone in this thread is Gen X?

I know I’ve seen a total revolution in ski design in my lifetime. Raced on Equipe 9000s, got into more off pist stuff with my F9s, moved on to Volkl G30s on to G3s, Rossi Exp etc.

now onto a totally different concept. Crazy evolution in my time. From Scott Schmidt and Glen Plake, The Evans to Candide Thovex, and Sam Kuch

wild ride

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
The tip/tails stiffness in the CT should be very similar to the Kores but the CT are softer underfoot so they hand flex softer if you’re pushing in the Center of the ski.
One of the reasons the tips don’t deflect on the CT through crud yet their more forgiving flex underfoot makes them very fun in bumps and off piste.
This makes sense to me. They are not for carving hardpack.

otter skis the same places I do, it will be interesting to see his interpretation of the ski. waiting for the tide to come in

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ScottB Always feels weird for a bit when swapping from traditional flat tailed skis to wider twins so I’m sure a few more runs you’d start enjoying them even more.

I think you’re right that you are mounted at -2cm on your demos so that you could try moving them around from there. Do some runs at that -2cm and then try moving back in steps to a max of -3cm.

Forgot what you ended up doing with the edges but I just moved my CT 3.0 to a 1/3 tune for more bite but haven’t tried them since changing them from 1/2.
The CT 1.0 have less rocker, taper and splay so are definitely more of a hard snow ripper. Those have had a 1/3 tune from the start like my CT 2.0.

Sponsor