• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
OK, I got my Moments properly tuned up by EdgeWerks here in Steamboat. The bases were off but the main culprit was some warping due to the mount. I dont know exactly what happened but the base's were off directly below the toe and heel pieces on both skis. EdgeWerks ground base's slightly and re-did the edges. I will get out on them as soon as we get a few inches.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Hey Moment Wildcat 108 fans, please go back a page to post 87 for an updated review from todays testing.

Here's what was on the menu this AM,

D87AC452-E3C6-4E32-A457-491C84D3C3CF_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
So, I knew I loved this ski in powder and tight places but what I was truly blown away by how amazing this ski is on open terrain, I popped out of the trees onto the lower 1/3 of Buddys, a blue run with a nice pitch with untracked and broken 5". The Wildcat eats this terrain up! Put it on edge and it will blast through the snow like it's fresh snow with an uncanny calmness and stability. The Wildcat is easy to ski here. On broken and skied out fields, I have never skied so fast with total confidence.

Remember when I said you you would love them in crud and days that weren’t just big powder days? And you mentioned you had a 77mm ski for that and I lol’d? :roflmao:

Glad you are another one to discover the magic of the Moment Wildcat!!!

Had my 118mm version stone ground today to make them more flat and will try them out next week in afternoon crud and I’m sure they will kill it!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will say, the Wildcats are coming out now for 4" and above. just a kick in the head fun.

That is great to hear!....especially from someone who tests a lot of skis.

Now...can u convince the “carving” crew on the site to buy into the fun your having on a ski that is >70 underfoot...lol.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
That is great to hear!....especially from someone who tests a lot of skis.

Now...can u convince the “carving” crew on the site to buy into the fun your having on a ski that is >70 underfoot...lol.

well, if we are talking about a true carving ski, yes, Ill take my Blossom SL ski's any day. But the Wildcats tips engaged very well and flowed really smoothly. I would never have guess the tails would finish so well but they really were solid . I really think the magic is in the rocker design and the camber.

Reactions: BC.
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
You just have to get the Wildcats up to speed as their turning radius is higher but I find they carve amazingly well on soft snow. Very solid underfoot!
Find it feels like I’m going 10mph slower than I am they are so stable at speed.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
well, if we are talking about a true carving ski, yes, Ill take my Blossom SL ski's any day. But the Wildcats tips engaged very well and flowed really smoothly. I would never have guess the tails would finish so well but they really were solid . I really think the magic is in the rocker design and the camber.

Totally agree....smooth is exactly how I describe my Moments....albeit a different model (C98)....but the Moment shape/construction/design is very impressive. I’m a believer.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
You just have to get the Wildcats up to speed as their turning radius is higher but I find they carve amazingly well on soft snow. Very solid underfoot!
Find it feels like I’m going 10mph slower than I am they are so stable at speed.

I was skiing them on mellow blues today and really able to rock them over well inside the 22m TR. I had commented to @Jwrags just how well these turned on edge

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And, you guys - I'd still like to know, no fooling, if the newest Wildcats are for me, either or both of them, the 108s or the fatter ones. Or are they not quite damp enough yet, me being still so spoiled by the Bibby Pro/Blister Pro dampness and crud stability, having both the 184 and the 190 in Jack & Jill models?

Yeah, I figure that both 108 and 117/118 Wildcats are light and lively, lots of energy; carve as well as the Bibbys; may even float a bit better than the Bibbys - you'd have to tell me if this is so, dunno. And the 108s would not be overkill on less deep days. Lighter, not as tiring.

But I am gun shy from my experience with "more lively" powder skis: the Rossi Super 7 HDs (180 & 188) were very good, but required such active feet, a bit tiring and a drag in heavier crud, as I got older; and later the Rossi 190 Super 7 RDs also (although I have not tried the most recent slightly changed ones).

Those RD 190 things required such active feet, quickness, so lively, as if wanting me on uppers; and they required some speed to work right also, great for me at one time maybe, but not as an old guy - gradually a bit less a charger now.

@Ron , as a new guy on these things, with fresh experience underfoot, and with lots of experience of comparables, are these damp enough for a guy spoiled by the best of Moment damp skis, and winding down on the quick feet stuff? (Probably hard to say, if you've never been on the Bibby Pro/Blister Pro "playful chargers," to me a baseline standard in this category; but maybe.....)

@GregK , you in particular have lured me onward towards considering the latest Wildcats strongly. Have you gotten enough time on them now in this strange season to say how you like them (at either width) compared to the Bibby models, in crud and for float? (To me, easy float was the one thing the Bibbys were lacking just a bit, when things got really deep in particular.)

Last edited:

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone tried the Wildcat 101 / PB&J? Was thinking to do a Wildcat quiver 101 /116.
I am afraid that those don't carve as much as my Rustler 9. I really like the Rustler but at over 40mph they don't inspire confidence.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So just skied the Moment Wildcat 108's in champagne powder Knee deep and up to the crotch. The trees were totally loaded and untracked. I have never skied the trees with such ease and total confidence in a ski. I was skiing much faster but with more control through tight aspens. Skiing on the groomers with broken and piled snow was a blast. It is so stable and capable. I could either run them flat or put them on edge and rip. My friend skiing with me said he couldn't begin to keep up with me. The Wildcat 108 takes my award for Absolute Best Powder Ski.
preist creek pow.jpg
68F93E6F-9728-49A2-B736-3B25089EC0FE_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Ron , as a new guy on these things, with fresh experience underfoot, and with lots of experience of comparables, are these damp enough for a guy spoiled by the best of Moment damp skis, and winding down on the quick feet stuff? (Probably hard to say, if you've never been on the Bibby Pro/Blister Pro "playful chargers," to me a baseline standard in this category; but maybe.....)

Yeah, I can't really tell you but once the skis are in soft snow, they have a really good feel, they aren't as damp as the Dynastar M-free 108 or some other truly damp ski's but they don't feel "tinny" or cheap. I would say they feel similar to a Liberty Evolv. it has a nice solid but lively feel. once in truly deep snow, they just feel really solid and dependable.

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
My friend skiing with me said he couldn't begin to keep up with me. The Wildcat 108 takes my award for Absolute Best Powder Ski.

Glad to hear you’re loving them so much! Think the grind made any difference?
Retuned my Wildcats today after getting a grind and think I’m going to notice a big difference on mine.
The Wildcats were the only ski not bad enough to “have to” get a grind right away but while waxing, I noticed some unevenness so for the $20 I got them done.

Your comment on “keeping up with me” reminds me of the comment I give to all the people(usually middle age men on race skis) who comment about my “water skis” when it’s heavy afternoon Spring crud and I was on my Bibbys. I tell them “you can try to keep up with me if want to try” and usually one of my friends will lean over on the lift and say “btw, you won’t be able to!”. Lol
Had a few that wanted to “see these crazy skis go” and back down at the lift they would say to me “I was with you for the first 2 turns and then you were GONE!” :roflmao:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Glad to hear you’re loving them so much! Think the grind made any difference?
Retuned my Wildcats today after getting a grind and think I’m going to notice a big difference on mine.
The Wildcats were the only ski not bad enough to “have to” get a grind right away but while waxing, I noticed some unevenness so for the $20 I got them done.

Your comment on “keeping up with me” reminds me of the comment I give to all the people(usually middle age men on race skis) who comment about my “water skis” when it’s heavy afternoon Spring crud and I was on my Bibbys. I tell them “you can try to keep up with me if want to try” and usually one of my friends will lean over on the lift and say “btw, you won’t be able to!”. Lol
Had a few that wanted to “see these crazy skis go” and back down at the lift they would say to me “I was with you for the first 2 turns and then you were GONE!” :roflmao:

well, in my case, the bases needed to be evened out but EdgeWerks also puts a really nice structure on the bases so in all likelihood, yes im sure it helped.

I dont really care about skiing fast, I just like how well they handled the snow and I didnt need to slow down, which equals less energy.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@GregK , you in particular have lured me onward towards considering the latest Wildcats strongly. Have you gotten enough time on them now in this strange season to say how you like them (at either width) compared to the Bibby models, in crud and for float? (To me, easy float was the one thing the Bibbys were lacking just a bit, when things got really deep in particular.)

The 2020 Wildcats weren’t THAT much different than the Bibbys as they only went to carbon infused fibreglass vs separately adding the strips requiring more resin and then going to semi cap tip/tail to prevent top sheet damage. So they skied very similar but had lighter swing weight and the lighter tips floated better but the skis did drop in overall weight making them a bit less damp. Not “they feel like another ski” different just not the class leaders anymore.

With the heavier wood core and new side walls and bases, the overall weight is now very similar to the old Bibby but with lighter swing weight and better float. The stiffness went up a bit vs my 184cm Bibbys but still forgiving at the extreme tip/tails. The 2021 Wildcat 108 even went up a bin weight with the new bases/side walls but it already had the “heavier than the Bibby/old Wildcat” wood core. The 116/118 Wildcat is definitely damper than the 108 version with the extra weight.

Had mine out for only one day so far with my area being in Covid lockdown for 7 weeks but they ski just like the Bibby did but seem like they are easier to handle than the old 190 Bibbys were. Glades were fun and even skied some bumps on the trail out that were doable. Anyone who liked Bibbys would like the new Wildcats especially for those between sizes as you could upsize without it being “too much ski” like the 190cm was to many.

Will bring my Wildcats out this week for soft crud charging as my local hills are no longer grooming mid day for night skiing due to Covid crowd gathering behind roped off runs.

Sponsor

Staff online