• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Peak By Bode Miller Skis Discussion Thread

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I will wholeheartedly agree with you on the free demos ogsmile
If not free demos, then a no questions asked full refund after 30 days (or ? days) if not 100% happy with the skis.

For me, I have experienced too many skis that I did not demo and ended up not liking. So I need a liberal return policy or a sale price, cheap enough for me to easily re-sell if I'm not happy with the ski.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
If not free demos, then a no questions asked full refund after 30 days (or ? days) if not 100% happy with the skis.

For me, I have experienced too many skis that I did not demo and ended up not liking. So I need a liberal return policy or a sale price, cheap enough for me to easily re-sell if I'm not happy with the ski.

That's the whole paradox with DTC in skis. Generally the market expects DTC to deliver value in some way (often price) but without extensive demos (or a willingness to hit the road) then there needs to be a friction free returns policy - essentially a sale is a demo and you rely on customer inertia re not bothering to return when less than totally happy to not go bankrupt. All those returns though - drilled, possibly banged up.....logistical problem all of its own.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is what I have said from the start, skiers like technology, technology sells. They should have some indication either in the structure or at lease the graphics where the Keyhole is so people can see it.
As worldwide skis sales have fallen by over 50% since the 1980s I’m not so sure. Most of what’s sold to us as technology is really just gimmickry, something that’s there to attract attention.

The lack of an indent over the ‘Keyhole’ is a bit odd, I suspect it isn’t there in the form depicted in the video. From “What's Under the Hood?” for the 98: “A vertical cut in the upper metal makes for buttery turn initiation”.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

or at least a 5 days of use guarantee like these guys do

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The 4frnt guarantee is pretty poor if they actually charge an outbound shipping charge. Plus 5 days usage sounds a bit sketchy - what if you return them but core shotted them the first day because new skis are rockfinder general and they argue they have more thsn 5 days wear and tear?

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
The 4frnt guarantee is pretty poor if they actually charge an outbound shipping charge. Plus 5 days usage sounds a bit sketchy - what if you return them but core shotted them the first day because new skis are rockfinder general and they argue they have more thsn 5 days wear and tear?
I don't know how they would verify the 5 days usage, but it is theoretically better than the 30 day guarantee coming from Peak. If you preorder Peak skis now, and they are delivered to you in October, what are the odds you would be able to get any time on the skis before the 30 days expire? Depending on your situation, you may also lose a few days waiting for your local shop to tune the skis to your preferences and mount bindings.

njred

Putting on skis
Skier
As for DTC.. the only DTC company that ever convinced me to buy one without question asked and no return was Down Skis.. https://www.downskis.com/ but only because of some really bad ass skiing down by their ambassador Mik Bimboes.. Not that I could ever drop the Xavier de Le Rue cliff at the Bec des Rosses in Verbier.. but that's too rad.. I think that is what Bode needs to do.. join the Freeride World Tour.. and drop some 60 ft cliffs in 50 deg exposure on the peak skis and looking good while doing it. I am sure that will move some skis. Also cheap prices helps like 370 euros for a 114 underfoot powder skis.

:ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think Down penetrated precisely because of the ski bum or aspiring quiver builder friendly pricing. Very different from Bode's premium aspirations Not much of a gamble when you could ski them a season and likely flip em on for 100 Euro loss. Don't see so many about now but maybe supply chain has hit them like many smaller brands.

Dunno if Bode needs to actually build awareness through dropping edits. Maybe he's already found his demographic - those with cash in their pocket willing to drop it on his name alone (with attendant bragging rights in the lodge/locker room/chairlift). I guess that ultimately didn't work too well for Bomber or Crosson but.....

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How does Miller get name recognition when his name is not on the ski? And how does the Keyhole innovation get recognition when it is not depicted in the skis' graphics? So, imo Peaks Skis has failed to deliver any recognition of what Bode Miller brings to the skis.

DTC sales may be initially a good fit with low production numbers but at some point won't they need to sell more than a few dozen skis to be successful?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How does Miller get name recognition when his name is not on the ski?
1653050826302.png

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
As for DTC.. the only DTC company that ever convinced me to buy one without question asked and no return was Down Skis.. https://www.downskis.com/ but only because of some really bad ass skiing down by their ambassador Mik Bimboes..
And?
Do we really need to point out that-
A) He could’ve done that on any appropriate ski, as the other competitors proved
B) Just because he used them, doesn’t mean he liked them, or even thought they were good.
C) Price was likely the determining factor, with little downside.

njred

Putting on skis
Skier
And?
Do we really need to point out that-
A) He could’ve done that on any appropriate ski, as the other competitors proved
B) Just because he used them, doesn’t mean he liked them, or even thought they were good.
C) Price was likely the determining factor, with little downside.

Well as I alluded in the last part of my post, I only bought the skis cuz they were only 350 euros and I was going to France.. not that I could do what the FWT peeps do on any skis.

ps not too many people could drop that particular cliff that smoothly.. AFAIK the only other skier to attempted that was a Tahoe local and this happened.. Bottomline I think edits from rad skiers could sell any stuff if they are not that special

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
That’s the most tomahawks I’ve ever seen.
Lot of incidents around Holmes!

So, you wouldn’t buy the skis Holmes skis? ogsmile
Describes the crash-

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
As for DTC.. the only DTC company that ever convinced me to buy one without question asked and no return was Down Skis.. https://www.downskis.com/ but only because of some really bad ass skiing down by their ambassador Mik Bimboes.. Not that I could ever drop the Xavier de Le Rue cliff at the Bec des Rosses in Verbier.. but that's too rad.. I think that is what Bode needs to do.. join the Freeride World Tour.. and drop some 60 ft cliffs in 50 deg exposure on the peak skis and looking good while doing it. I am sure that will move some skis. Also cheap prices helps like 370 euros for a 114 underfoot powder skis.

:ogbiggrin:

Down skis are also ‘currently on hiatus’.
The fact that the website seems to have paused in 2019-20 suggests things are not 'bouyant'. Going to hazard a guess and say 'Sporten'.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
From an email received today;

"Your Peak 110 Skis are entering production soon. Once they’re prepped and quality controlled here in Bozeman, Montana, we’ll package them up and get them out to you. In the meantime, we’ll be sure to check in often to keep you updated.

Thanks to our innovation, our materials, our technology, and our craftsmanship, we’re confident you couldn’t have purchased a better ski."

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Down was put into hibernation because of the Covid pandemic, skis sales for 200/21 were down around third because of it. Down is a very small business, it is not VAT registered so has a turnover of <100k, it has one shareholder and is run from a residential address. The skis were made in Poland and those that were destined for customers in the EU were shipped directly to the customer from the factory, this saved them the hassle of importing them into Switzerland and reexporting them. Most of the skis seemed to be sold via sales which made the prices pretty attractive.

I think Bode has much bigger plans.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Wow 25 pages. Bode is an amazing skier. Is creative with equipment ideas, often successfully. Has changed brands with abandon. Some of us drop cash to check it out, others (including me) do not. Mostly we wait with interest.

Sponsor

Staff online