• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Seafood Thread

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Occasionally God kicks me in the head and reminds me how lucky I am to live where I do, within ten minutes of the Atlantic, and within a half hour of one of America's new foodie capitals, Portland, Maine.

I cannot possibly keep track of all the ambitious restaurant openings and closings around here, but one of the places that has made a big name for itself and stood the test of time is Eventide. I ate there once within a few months of its opening, probably 15 years ago, before it was a phenomenon. They were still figuring things out. Since then I've never felt like enduring the long frigid (or scorching) sidewalk wait for a table. (It's a tiny space for a nationally renowned restaurant.) Too many easier options.

Tonight, finally, almost by accident, @Wending and I ended up there. Only had to wait 15 or 20 minutes, inside. It was pretty damn good. Oyster shucking guy, Eric, was fun and knowledgeable. The food was interesting - not too intellectual, but imaginative and delicious and rooted in a few solid foundations. If you are really old school you might think some of the items a bit twee, but there is always J's Oyster Bar for you, where you can probably still put out your cigarette in the dregs of your beer. Eventide does the over-understatement thing well, serving homemade "saltines" with the lobster stew. See pic.

Then on the way home in the car I got to listen to the nightly statewide radio call in show, which on this occasion was all about seaweed. The phones were ringing off the hook. Everyone has something to say about seaweed. Go Maine.

So next year if the New England gathering is here, plan some extra days to check things out in the neighborhood.

PXL_20220421_231913512.MP-01.jpeg IMG_20220421_203517-01.jpeg PXL_20220421_233111143.MP-01.jpeg

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have been in and out of Brunswick, ME a few times the last several days. $34 for fried clams and $40 for a lobster, neither of which can really be screwed up, is not even a little inviting. $30 lobster rolls? No. Color me twee.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And once again, contrary to popular expectations, I have been passed over for the Eeyore award.

A good lobster roll can be made by a 10th grader, given the very few basic ingredients, so it doesn't and never has made sense to buy one pre- fab, so to speak, if value for money is your thing.

If you're a local your probably know a guy who knows a guy, and can get your lobsters for home use at a decent, even if not everyday eating, price.

Fried clams are all about the clams. Whole belly steamers or bust. I have never tried and probably never will try to make fried clams at home. I am willing, once or twice a year, to pay for them because they are just so good. But not $34 good, I agree.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does fresh king crab have much flavor? The frozen ones I've had are kind of dry and don't have much crab flavor -- compared to snow, Dungeness, or blue crabs.

Oh, you haven't really know crab until you tasted fresh king crab. The cooked, brined and frozen ones does not compare. Most crabs other than blues and some Dungeness are sold cooked and frozen. The flavors do not compare with the crabs cooked fresh (live).

Like lobsters, crabs should be live just prior to preparation. The quality of the dead ones degrades precipitously in a short span of time (minutes).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Live Dungeness crabs are easy to come by. Kings, not so much.

Seafood is best prepared when they are live.
the lobster and crabs generally degrade to a noticeable difference after 20 minutes.
Fishes change texture after about 4 hours.

In NYC, live Maine lobster and Dungeness runs around $10/$15 per lb.
Live king crab is runs $70/$100 per lb. The larger the better. Some runs over $1K per.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Does fresh king crab have much flavor? The frozen ones I've had are kind of dry and don't have much crab flavor -- compared to snow, Dungeness, or blue crabs.
Oh yes. Night and day comparison. One of the best things I ever ate was live king crab in Seward AK. The knuckles were the best part.

If you must buy frozen never buy the pre-split.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January