• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Slowest Skier

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Works for driving, shooting, and skiing. And practice. If I get to the bottom of a tough run in one piece, I win. That said, I've lost a few times this year.:crash::doh:

NonNativeRado

Astonishingly Mediocre
Skier
I've had a variation of the following conversation a number of times:

"Yeah, I get my turns in at St Mary's in the summer"
"Oh, wow, you can ski during the summer?"
"Yeah, you just have to hike maybe half a mile up to the snow field, then boot pack or skin up to the top."
"... Oh." *enthusiasm fades from eyes as they realize they would have to earn their turns*

I have yet to do this. Is it worth the ride?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have yet to do this. Is it worth the ride?

For certain values of 'worth,' yes.

"If there is snow, it must be skied. To do otherwise is wrong." -A. McLean

Yeah, I mean, the snow has never been good for me, though it's been good for others. But it's a day in the sun, a short hike, a few turns with friends - what's not to like?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I rode up on the chair with a guy last weekend at Killington with a pair of Renoun skis, they were a demo pair between 100-110 underfoot, can't remember model. He knew the owner so was testing them out.

Anyway, he was a cool guy and he said something before we parted ways when getting off the chair.

Ski fast, take chances, have fun. This resonated in my head a bit. I tried to do this a little. It was a good attitude to have floating around in my head.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I rode up on the chair with a guy last weekend at Killington with a pair of Renoun skis, they were a demo pair between 100-110 underfoot, can't remember model. He knew the owner so was testing them out.

Anyway, he was a cool guy and he said something before we parted ways when getting off the chair.

Ski fast, take chances, have fun. This resonated in my head a bit. I tried to do this a little. It was a good attitude to have floating around in my head.
Sounds like the Endurance.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

It was over 100 mm underfoot but less than 110. I'm not that familiar with renoun models. I guess the renoun guy gave it to him to play around on for feedback.

Just looked them up. Thinking it was the 104. He thought it was overall a good ski but there were a couple things he wasn't wild about. I mentioned the z90 and then he said now THAT'S a great one.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

That is such a harsh word.
Remembered @JohnL used that word on me at one of the end of day runs.
Half way down the run, JohnL said "Was that a cool down lap or an endurance run?"
My reply was "That is such a harsh word. At my age, I like the word sustainability."

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
My daughter sends me this link

And I immediately think "buffer friend" (usually me).
You people have warped my mind (even more).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You people have warped my mind.

Just doing our job...

As to the bear, snopes says it's true. There are other videos taken from other overhead chairs. At first the skier didn't realize he was being chased. Eventually the skier dropped his backpack and the bear stopped to investigate.

And you people say there is no reason to ski lift-served with a pack!

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I was thinking about this earlier this season about boot packing. I am the slowest hiker/climber of all the people we ski with regularly and I feel bad, but the rest of the crew is hanging out chilling when I get there, not seeming to care that I was sooooo sloooooow.

Late to the party, and this fits with my position....
Me too, when it comes to climb, no matter how or what, hike, climb, ski, bike, boot, skins...I am always the slowest member of any group I find myself in.
When it comes to getting down...it depends. I usually take last position , not because I am the slowest skier (if skiing) but because I tend to want to (try) have everything under "control"/everyone in view ("sheperdog complex", I'd say), specifically in difficult terrain/offpiste.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
batman.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
No need for a backpack when you got buffer friends.
I read that as "butler friends" the first time. Which would be cool. When I get rich, I am going to hire somebody to ski with me and carry my lunch, water, bump skis, and the makings for old-fashioneds. Oh, and a folding chair and a sun shade on sunny days. And he or she must dress like an English butler.

Sponsor

Staff online