• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Things I learned on my first ever skinning experience

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I completed my first ever skin up and ski down run earlier today and I learned a few things. I didn't go anywhere "epic" I simply went to my local not-quite-open ski area and went up and down it under my own power. The normal season policy for uphill traffic is that it is not allowed, however, I had asked the owner the day prior if it was ok to skin up the runs prior to opening day and was granted permission. So I parked outside the gate at about 9:30am as the sun is just beginning to rise somewhere behind the cloud cover, it's about 15*f and a very tiny bit of wind. I've got about quarter of a mile of flat across a very long and skinny parking lot before I get to the base of the runs and then it's all up hill from there with no cat track or access road, just the runs going up. I got about 1400ft of vertical and about 1.5 miles planned for the UP portion.

I have brand new Solomon S/Lab MTN boots that I've never skied in, brand new Solomon Shift bindings, new poles, new Black Diamond skins that I cut myself (while sweating bullets I might add). I'm a total newb to this whole going up hill on skis thing. I've actively avoided it since I stopped XC skiing back in middle school 18 years ago. But somehow I got it into my mind last spring when I bought the boots that I wanted to try going up hill.. anyways lets get this bad idea going.

- I forgot to bring my camping pad that I can stand on while getting boots on and off at my car. Oops. It was the very first time out skiing this year, so I'll forgive myself.
- Brand new boots.. Well this should be interesting. I learned that the couple hundred I spent on foot beds and getting the liner heat molded actually paid off! No blisters and the discomfort in my feet I attributed to never ever doing this before.
- Wow, skins actually have a lot of grip.
- Shift bindings are slick! and easy to use! Stoke levels rising.
- Not even 10 steps in my calves and hips were protesting and I was having doubts that I was even going to make it across the parking lot. Moral fell a lot
- The pain went away a couple hundred yards later, I should have done some stretches or warm up. Moral back up again
- Risers.. not as scary as it seems, they help a TON. The 10* on the shift felt perfectly fine for the entire trip up the blue square run I was climbing. (we don't actually have any greens on the main area)
- Oh my god walking up a hill on skis is a LOT of work. By the time I was maybe 10 minutes in I was down to my tshirt, the hat, shell, and insulation layer was all stuffed in my backpack.
- Those youtube videos on how to skin were actually useful. I practiced the various kinds of turns on the way up and actually felt like I accomplished something!
- Should have left the headband on to catch all the sweat.
- Keep reminding myself that this isn't a race and to go slow as my body has never ever done this sort of thing before and has no idea whats going on.
- Mid way up snack time! talk about the best idea I've had all morning. Just like my dog, I'm pretty food motivated so a mid way snack break was perfect to get my brain back on track and keep telling myself that I could do this and that falling down the hill and dieing in a sweaty pile of brand new gear wasn't going to happen
- That snack break was a game changer, the remaining half of the skin up was actually kind of fun! Kinda like riding a road bike.. it's gotta hurt before it feels better.
- I should have brought more than 16oz of water.

I got to the top and the transition goes well, I get all my warm stuff back on and ski down on 6 inches of drag packed powder on top of 3 inches of grass, sticks, and rocks. It's my first run of the season after walking up the hill, there was nothing special or amazing about the actual skiing down except that I had actually worked for it. It was fun and I'll do it again but with more water and snacks.

I took a picture of one of my kick turn tracks, that's how proud of myself I was on the way up!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congratulations! I haven't done any skinning since I was a kid; I went to a ski camp where every day we hiked up carrying our skis and skied down. One day some of us got to skin up, which meant we got to go up further than when we hiked, and it was so nice. Lately I've been wanting to do this again.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
Good job and nice write up! I went through a similar experience to yours when I started skinning last spring however my first transition almost didn’t happen. After removing my first skin I absentmindedly threw my ski into the snow before I had released the brake and it took a mad scramble from me to stop it from sliding down the mountain on its own. So I’ll add to make sure your brakes are released before setting down your skis!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice reports, fun to read. I am also new to skinning and living in northern MN don’t get (m)any chances to go on AT backcountry tours at home, so I plan to do some laps at our local ski hills too.
We do have great backcountry XC touring, including river skiing which I love, so I will keep doing that, but add the resort skinning to work on the AT bindings, skins and techniques.

TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was mostly impressed with myself during the entire adventure. I'm in pretty good shape, rode my bike to work for most of the summer, did a few cyclocross races this fall and in general try not to be a lazy bum. But even with that, the first half of my experience was an eye opener on just how much effort skinning can be, the pros in the movies really do make it look easy. I'm looking forward to trying to get another preseason lap in this coming weekend, the forecasted snow didn't pan out so I don't believe that we will be opening quite yet.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good for you, glad you enjoyed it. Very good write up. I skied Friday at Sunday River in Maine, but I didn't break out my new AT setup, snow was too good and I didn't want to stop.

Did you notice any pin friction that I did when I scrutinized my new shifts on the bench? Which tour mode did you use? first click or second.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Last Saturday, I did an introduction to the backcountry course by Backcountry Babes. We started at the Vail Pass rest area on I-70 and skinned up on the south side of the highway. Our guide was great and helped us all with trip planning, avalanche information, safety tips and technique tips. We went uphill for about 2 hours and skied about 1.5 foot of fresh, beautiful powder. I really enjoyed it. I plan to do much more this season. For any women who are interested, I highly recommend Backcountry Babes. Very professional, fun and safe.

I figured out a few things:

1. I am getting separate gear - helmet, gloves, etc. for touring and will keep it in my pack. It is too easy to forget stuff.
2. I have to make hydrating a priority. I can see where it is easy to keep going without drinking.
3. I need a belt or suspenders. The way my pack sat on my back pulled up my shirt leaving me with some exposed skin that was not pleasant.
4. I am considering a different boot - the Scott boot I have seemed very flimsy in the powder but time will tell.
5. I get a huge adrenaline rush from sustained cardio activity.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
Last Saturday, I did an introduction to the backcountry course by Backcountry Babes.

For any women who are interested, I highly recommend Backcountry Babes. Very professional, fun and safe.

Glad to hear it was a good experience, I am thinking about gifting my partner a course like this for Christmas, I think she'd really enjoy it.

Sponsor

Staff online