• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thinking about a gravel bike

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Taking the Checkpoint SL5 out for a test ride on Tuesday. They’re ordering me a 52 in red (so Mike and I aren’t totally twins, just brothers, with him getting the tall genes).

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Taking the Checkpoint SL5 out for a test ride on Tuesday. They’re ordering me a 52 in red (so Mike and I aren’t totally twins, just brothers, with him getting the tall genes).
Nice! I did really like the red also. The way the weather is going we’re going to transition quickly from skiing to biking soon. :rolleyes:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm disturbed by this... :roflmao:

IMG_20230212_144317.jpg

Bonus points for a vintage d-r on a new wheel build...

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. And you need those anyway for when you have to replace the cassette because you were too lazy to replace the chain. :)
I just took a pair of nippers to it and it came right off. I’m a bit of a tool junky anyway and like to tinker. Putting together a tool list this week. ;)

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cleaned up and lubed my hardtail today and put air in the front shock. We’ll see if holds. Needs new tires and the rear rim is bent. If I need to replace a wheel and tire, I might as well go tubeless and 1x… ;) Project bike for down the road.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Cleaned up and lubed my hardtail today and put air in the front shock. We’ll see if holds. Needs new tires and the rear rim is bent. If I need to replace a wheel and tire, I might as well go tubeless and 1x… ;) Project bike for down the road.
If you want a project, by all means.

Otherwise, you can pick up a decent 2nd hand 26" wheel for a song. Remember, tires are consumables.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh and take off the dork disk and reflectors or risk getting heckled. :D

That red is sweet! Congrats!

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Oh and take off the dork disk and reflectors or risk getting heckled. :D

That red is sweet! Congrats!
It's great.

-Trek Wayne set up tubeless for me.

-Still getting the hang of the handlebars. I miss the stability of wide mountain bike handlebars. I probably won't be sending this bike on singletrack until I get comfortable with the handling. But with the right tires it might be more capable than some of the 90's hardtails I've owned. It's got some beefy tubes!

-Definitely appreciated buying it a local bike shop as opposed to the direct-to-consumer model of Lauf or Canyon. The guys at the shop were helpful. Plus I got it literally 3 days after ordering it.

-Getting a proper bike fit at some point.

-Probably swapping some old Shimano SPD pedals on it from my mountain bike.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went with tubeless also. First time with them. Do you typically carry a tube in case you get a leak that cant]’T be sealed? I did pick up a repair tool and some strips.

I ended up going with dual sided Shimano SPD pedals. I’m sure I’m going to fall over a few times and probably should grab the cleats that are easier to release.

Watching the conditions at Blue this weekend and if it’s crap I’m probably going for a ride instead.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So. My former lbs posted that the bike they’re selling the most of is a Trek Dual Sport 3 Gen 5. And I look, and it actually looks like a pretty appealing and useful bike. Huh. Must be getting old.

Sponsor

Staff online