• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That happens.
You've learned a lot in the past few years about your own balance, ability and ski technology. I like the direction you're going.
And I'm skiing pretty darn well, lately, too! And in a lot of different terrain and conditions, too. I'm hoping for some more powder days so I can drag out my Savory 7's again. I hated them on anything firm and also in crud. But I was skiing a lot differently then, too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They didn't have the FX in non HP versions at Mt. Rose.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bump - Because @Stephen was quoted in the Tester's Choice awards, which was featured in our recent newsletter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting reviews! I have to say that your love for the Monster 88 struck me; I have understood it to be a pretty strong ski, demanding a pretty strong pilot, and your other reviews seemed to favor softer, more easy-going skis.

Maybe those Monsters aren't as demanding as I've been led to believe.
Or...maybe you're more able than you think. :)

Whichever, it's good to get some input from someone who is not already a highly developed expert! Thanks.

I don't find the M88 hugely demanding, and the reviewer's notes are pretty spot on. The 98 and 108 are a bit stiffer in the ends and 'feel' longer.
Being a lightweight I couldn't help but notice the OP is 6'1" 205lbs on a 177cm Monster, would he feel the same about it on the 184???

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Being a lightweight I couldn't help but notice the OP is 6'1" 205lbs on a 177cm Monster, would he feel the same about it on the 184???

I demo'd the Monster 83 and Monster 88 last year. I am 5'10", 167lbs. and demo'd the 170cm versions. My experience was similar in terms of the skis being responsive, quick turning, intuitive, etc. without being demanding at all. "Hand flexing" makes you feel these are stiff skis ... and stability is there when you need it, but they did not feel demanding in any way to me. They were actually quite responsive and fun.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
But notice the title.."An Intermediate Skier Checks out..." The 184 Monster would have taken him for a ride

And I dont know that the 98 or 108 would be appropriate in any length for the OP. These are both substantial skis.

TS
Stephen

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you get to try the Dynastar Powertrack? Hope you liked them, since they will be my one ski quiver this season :D

I did not try them. I have a friend that got some last season and absolutely loves them. They are his one ski quiver.

TS
Stephen

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
But notice the title.."An Intermediate Skier Checks out..." The 184 Monster would have taken him for a ride

On this day, after each demo run I would take down a few notes then I would carefully select my next skis by trying whatever @Philpug told me to. :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I did not try them. I have a friend that got some last season and absolutely loves them. They are his one ski quiver.
I think that is the one that we recommended for him right?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I actually hadn't, thanks for paging me, Tricia! Good work, @Stephen ! Did you get to try the Dynastar Powertrack? Hope you liked them, since they will be my one ski quiver this season :D

Great choice! A very nice ski that suits a range of skier abilities and terrain. Jeb Boyd (PSIA demo team member) skis the heck out of his.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I think that is the one that we recommended for him right?

Why, yes. You mean for me, right? :D I can't wait. I literally can't wait. I wonder if Mrs Mendieta will kick me out of the house if I fly to A Basin to catch some wrod :popcorn:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why, yes. You mean for me, right? :D I can't wait. I literally can't wait. I wonder if Mrs Mendieta will kick me out of the house if I fly to A Basin to catch some wrod :popcorn:
I am thinking "road trip". Just a day's drive from Reno.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online