• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tips for taking private ski lesson?

Jittery3

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello everyone, this is our second season skiing and I was starting to check out the easiest way down on blues towards the end of last season and my partner is still loving the green life. (Daisy at Stevens Pass, WA is her current favorite for anyone familiar with that spot.)
We decided to kick off our 2nd season with a private lesson to help us better progress into Blues. We took a couple of green group lessons when we started last year.

I came across the section and thought I could ask any tips or suggestions for taking that lesson. We have our own equipment and passes already. ogsmile

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If he's available, ask for Mike Douglas

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Were you in the same group(s) for the group lessons, and if so, how did that go? Not all couples learn their best when they are together, so that is something you'll need to be honest about when considering doing a private lesson together.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
As an instructor who also takes paid lessons, my tip is sign up for a full day group lesson and then slightly overestimate your ability when they ask you your level as you do not want to be with skiers that are not as good as you. You will be in a typically smaller group and having a full day gives you time to practice with the instructor. Worst thing that can happen is they will bump you down to a lower group or let you disappear forever off a cliff depending on the instructor's mood that day. Be sure to mention what a great tipper you are a the start. Good luck!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Have a firm but realistic plan of what you want to work on. Communicate that clearly to the instructor upfront and then hold them to account on it. If you are paying private money make sure you get what you want out of it and not a lesson by the numbers.

Personally I'd do a day or two getting my ski legs back before having that lesson as it's wasteful and frustrating being told to do what you already know how to do on your own if you just had some time to get it dialled.

At your level unless there are some fundamental problems though I think I'd rather have 3 group lessons than a single private even if that means splitting.

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
I think I also agree on the group lessons for value, when making that transition to comfy on steeper blue runs, though of course if money is absolutely no issue than why not private. The group lesson you're going to get a couple of "you should focus on these 1-2 things" and in a private, you're going to get more of that :) You definitely will get a chance to ask more questions and have things focused more on YOU, and less standing around watching others ski, and hearing "OK, we're going to work on XYZ..." That said, 3 all day group lessons might cost similar to one 2h lesson, and you'll get much more observed time on snow and drilling than the single private. Depends how much you have very specific questions and want to go work on things a lot afterwards, versus just organically pick it up through being led through drills and skiing? Edit: 3x2 people all day group lessons will obviously be more money than a 2h private; I was thinking about myself when I take a lesson alone.

TS
Jittery3

Jittery3

Putting on skis
Skier
Were you in the same group(s) for the group lessons, and if so, how did that go? Not all couples learn their best when they are together, so that is something you'll need to be honest about when considering doing a private lesson together.
We did them together before and it went fine. At the time she was better than I was having ski a few times growing up as I was brand new, I have progressed a little further now because I took another group lesson alone and then was out weekly for 2 months after.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As an instructor who also takes paid lessons, my tip is sign up for a full day group lesson and then slightly overestimate your ability when they ask you your level as you do not want to be with skiers that are not as good as you. You will be in a typically smaller group and having a full day gives you time to practice with the instructor. Worst thing that can happen is they will bump you down to a lower group or let you disappear forever off a cliff depending on the instructor's mood that day. Be sure to mention what a great tipper you are a the start. Good luck!
Not sure I completely agree with this recommendation as it seems a bit selfish. You're saying that you don't want to get stuck in a lesson with others who are at a lower level. However, you're perfectly willing to put yourself in a group where you're possibly the lowest level skier. Seems a bit hypocritical to me. As one who has been in groups where there have been significantly lower level skiers, it is definitely not as good of a lesson for the higher level skiers. The pace is much slower, the terrain skied is not as enjoyable or challenging and the skills taught during the lesson are often focused on the lowest level skier. I've also found that its not that easy to move people around once the group has formed. Seems like most people automatically, unconsciously overestimate their skiing level. On top of that, if you're consciously overstating your level you may end up way over your head and with other members of your group resenting you. Don't be that guy.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Personally I'd do a day or two getting my ski legs back before having that lesson as it's wasteful and frustrating being told to do what you already know how to do on your own if you just had some time to get it dialled.
Totally agree. Don't "kick off the season" with a private. Give it several days until you remember how to do it (whatever "it" was) and then take a lesson.

I also think a group lesson or two before you take a private makes sense. Private lessons are pricey, and should be saved for when you need a keen eye to identify your faults. Right now I could probably do that and I'm not an instructor AT ALL.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
Not sure I completely agree with this recommendation as it seems a bit selfish. You're saying that you don't want to get stuck in a lesson with others who are at a lower level. However, you're perfectly willing to put yourself in a group where you're possibly the lowest level skier. Seems a bit hypocritical to me. As one who has been in groups where there have been significantly lower level skiers, it is definitely not as good of a lesson for the higher level skiers. The pace is much slower, the terrain skied is not as enjoyable or challenging and the skills taught during the lesson are often focused on the lowest level skier. I've also found that its not that easy to move people around once the group has formed. Seems like most people automatically, unconsciously overestimate their skiing level. On top of that, if you're consciously overstating your level you may end up way over your head and with other members of your group resenting you. Don't be that guy.
In my defense I did say slightly overestimate not grossly exaggerate. I think anyone could agree that you will never get better skiing with skiers who are not as good as you. You are right about changing groups though, it rarely happens. I was stuck in a lower group once and I convinced the instructor to do mogul skiing drills for a week. I got my moneys worth and the rest of the group got more than they bargained for.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
IMHO, private lesson is the better value. You have insrtuctor time divided by number of people in the group versus instructor time divided by 1.
Don't take less than a 1/2 day private; 1 hour is not enough time.

Do spend a day skiing before you take that private lesson. You want to get somewhat back to where you left off last year, but don't take too much time. Practice makes permanent, and you don't want to make bad habits permanent. One full bell-to bell day is plenty. If you spend half your day in the lodge instead of on the hill, then two days is fine.

In a private lesson, you don't have to worry about being in the wrong group.

Try to find a good instructor. Do a little research. Ask for recommendations.
Book that instructor if you can (some hills make it difficult). A half day with the wrong instructor can be a challenging way to improve. Higher certification level helps; it's not a perfect system, but at least it's some indication of their ability to teach you.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't take less than a 1/2 day private; 1 hour is not enough time.

When I was getting back into lessons in 2015 after just being an occassional (poor) skier for many years, I found an hour was long enough. At least the first couple of times out. That's because, IMO, there were so many obvious/fundamental things to work on, that an hour was enough to gain some understanding, and send me off with a few things to practice. So I think it somewhat depends on the particular instruction you need.

As I took more lessons, I did take a couple of 2 hour privates, and a full day. 2 hours, I think, was great, and a half day is great. The full day I actually turned into a group lesson for the afternoon with a couple of others. A full day private is a very long lesson.

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
I agree, the sweet spot is 1.5-2h for me for privates. They need to get you to feel something different, and then you need to go practice it. In a full day lesson I suspect you either get more topics than you can successfully focus on and you get oversaturated (it's tough to do deliberate practice! it's draining, and most of us don't have the capacity for 6-7 hours of that in a day) OR you end up paying signficantly to having them supervise you getting tired near the end of the day when you could be practicing alone. Cost for a full day is approaching 3-4x 90 minute early bird lessons over multiple days. I often get showed things, feel new things, and want to go get on with the practice. Sometimes a series of early morning lessons (work on something, then go drill, check in the next morning, repeat) is a good approach. I also agree with the "don't book your lesson for 9am on the first day back on snow in 3 weeks (months)."

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree, get your ski legs under yourself first. With only a year or two under your belt, you will be getting a lot thrown at you and depending on your absorption rate, you might consider a half day, then go back for another half day later once you get comfortable and confident in what you learned. I would also suggest midweek if you can and like mentioned, depending on the area, group lessons are not the worst idea if it is not busy.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any chance of a seasonal clinic? I've gotten a lot out of doing the women's clinic at my local hill. As long as you have a good fit with the instructor, working with the same person can be a big plus. And price wise it is usually a bargain.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Any chance of a seasonal clinic? I've gotten a lot out of doing the women's clinic at my local hill. As long as you have a good fit with the instructor, working with the same person can be a big plus. And price wise it is usually a bargain.

Great advice! Then take a private as a supplement.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the half day lesson. Learn something new in the morning and reinforce it with practice in the afternoon. One needs to repeat a movement several hundred (thousand) times to get it "learned" in the brain.

Either know what you want to improve and ask the instructor to show you how to do that, or ask the instructor to evaluate your skiing and decide on the most important movement for you to learn now to advance. Don't let the instructor throw too many things at you. One or two important things learned well is valuable. A dozen things you touch on but don't learn is nearly worthless. If you don't like what the instructor is teaching you, or how they're teaching you, it's OK to fire them. Go to the ski school office and let them know of your dissatisfaction.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ding ding ding. This!

A ski week or even better a weekly clinic over 4 to 6 weeks is the best. Many resorts have these.. sometimes referred to as locals programs..

You will have the same instructor and they can help you progress over time, building on what you worked on before. It will be fun and, with the same people every week, you may meet friends you'll want to ski with after. And it can be helpful to see what other students are doing because it can be difficult to "feel" what the instructor is saying you do but easy to see in others.

At the level you describe, there won't be a huge difference in the things you will need to work on vs the rest of the group. When those differences develop, that's when a private lesson is worth the money IMO.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hello everyone, this is our second season skiing and I was starting to check out the easiest way down on blues towards the end of last season and my partner is still loving the green life. (Daisy at Stevens Pass, WA is her current favorite for anyone familiar with that spot.)
We decided to kick off our 2nd season with a private lesson to help us better progress into Blues. We took a couple of green group lessons when we started last year.

I came across the section and thought I could ask any tips or suggestions for taking that lesson. We have our own equipment and passes already. ogsmile
Best way is to get a line of credit

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
Try to find a good instructor. Make notes. Look on the websites of the ski schools then either email or call them up in order to find out more. Good luck to you on your journey.

Most ski schools have a number of ski lessons and clinics. These are for people who are interested in the sport. If you ask around, you will be able to find someone good. Read the information on the website which is provided free of charge then decide how to proceed further. Inquire properly at the ski school equipment hire shop or contact the office.

Review goals every four weeks or so. You will have a lot of fun out on the slopes but try to keep safe at the same time too.

Sponsor

Staff online