• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

To BOA or not to BOA (we have real world insight)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Stephen and I had the opportunity at the WWSRA demo event at Brighton to take several runs on Fischer's new RC4 MV 130 with the BOA. There's been a lot of discussion in this thread about the BOA. Hopefully we can answer some questions.

Here are some first impressions, not necessarily of the boot itself, but of the BOA.

First off, the BOA and cable are burly, more so than snowboard boots and way more than other footwear. The cable is rated at 450# or so. The knob is designed to "break away" with a stout impact and then snap back on. I didn't get to check that design feature but I've seen it.

Unlike some other BOAs the ski boot specific design can tighten or loosen by one or more clicks allowing for very accurate adjustment. Like other BOAs, a simple pull on the knob releases tension on the cable.

The manufacturers claim the cable system allows for a smooth, consistent closure of the lower portion of the boot and I'd agree. With a traditional buckle system, the top of the overlap can sometimes be pressed into the top of the foot with little effort. With the BOA system on the Fischer I could feel a gentle wrap around my forefoot. I liked that feel. The BOA also allows for very quick micro adjustments on the hill.

On the hill the boot skis as one would expect. The BOA is unnoticeable. My current boot is a Fischer RC4 The Curve GT 130; the RC4 MV is a bit roomier, especially in the toe box. Flex is similar. With the stock footbed and no canting the boot felt very stable and transmitted inputs well. Fischer does not offer a LV boot with the BOA, instead relying on the ability of the cable system to smoothly close and compress the clog. This won't work for everyone but should suit many.

So, BOA. Obviously the long term durability has yet to be seen by the consumer. If you're comfortable with your current boots there's no reason to toss them for BOA boots (or any other boots for that matter!). If you're looking for a new boot, they are worth a look. The initial hands on (feet in) look at the BOA seems to show more pluses than minuses, even if they're small pluses, over buckles.

20230131_175728.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for that review. I’m open minded about this and think the micro adjustability and more evenly distributed pressure at the fore foot may be useful for those with high instep/ volume feet. Now,if the tension points on the cable were also adjustable it would be even more customizable.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What about the ZipFit liners in the Fischers? That's potentially more of a game changer than the cables and mushrooms. ;)
I do not disagree with you in the advancement of the Fischer boots is hte Zipfit liners but Unfortunately, there were none to demo ... yet.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What about the ZipFit liners in the Fischers? That's potentially more of a game changer than the cables and mushrooms. ;)
Unfortunately that one was not available to demo. They had one Pro boot, literally. Got to touch it. It is not a Vacuum boot, has some carbon that will stiffen it up some, and the nice Zipfit liner.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Did you learn which Zipfit this might compare to? Is it similar to their off-the-shelf offerings or more of an OEM Special?

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fischer does not offer a LV boot with the BOA, instead relying on the ability of the cable system to smoothly close and compress the clog.
Presumably this is the business case for BOA, the manufacturers will be able to reduce the number of shell widths they offer. This will save some of the tooling costs and the cost of setting up the injection molding machines to produce boots in different widths. As well as any costs associated with the production of liners in different widths etc.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Clicked into the binding and at very high edge angles, it looks like the boa would make snow contact before the outer forefoot area, it that so?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Clicked into the binding and at very high edge angles, it looks like the boa would make snow contact before the outer forefoot area, it that so?
If you are clicking in at that angle, you are a master at self arresting.

I am sorry, but the Nth degree of grasping at straws in trying to find faults and and shortcomings is bordering in rediculousness. :doh:

James

Out There
Instructor
So how was it getting in?
You unwind it to the max or is there a freewheeling setting that allows the overlap to just get bigger?

How does it unthread for say boot punching or grinding? Tools or no tools needed?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the BOA system on the Fischer I could feel a gentle wrap around my forefoot.

That's what I'm talking about!

Presumably this is the business case for BOA, the manufacturers will be able to reduce the number of shell widths they offer.

For some boot companies, yes. FWIW Atomic says no.

If it were to be the case, this would help retailers by making ordering and inventory decisions a little less complex.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Have they done CFD studies on the knob? Looks like it could shed some vortexes and cause aerodynamic instability on the Hahnenkamm. When is the rollout for aftermarket aerodynamic fairings?

Never mind shedding vortices. The obvious upgrade path is to install spinners and use the Magnus effect for self steering boots.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid