• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Too much snow, too much wind, not enough power, but a great week anyway! (National Gathering 2024)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Tahoe Gathering 2024 160 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
A view of "the palisades" runs at Palisades Tahoe, Olympic Valley

Some of the members here refer to "the Gathering Effect", where we seem to get good snow regularly for SkiTalk Gatherings. At Big Sky in 2019, we got 40". At last year's Gathering in Utah, we received 30-50". And earlier this year we got 51" in Taos. But this Gathering might have set a record... Palisades Tahoe officially received 98 inches of snow, starting the Friday before the Gathering, through Tuesday. Mount Rose and Diamond Peak got a bit less, but still more than 6 feet!

While that sounds great, it did present some problems - but Gatherers show up for a reason, and we still managed to ski 5 days, across 3 different resorts (4 if you count Alpine Meadows separately), and had a great time!

I'm going to pre-apologize for all the "action" shots... it seemed to be the thing to do this go-round for some reason, and I took a lot more of them than usual. There was a bit more formal action photoshoot by @Matchstix too, with some real equipment one day. (See here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2024-national-gathering-tahoe-live-trip-report.33691/post-972886) With that said... on to the Gathering trip report!

Day 1 and 2 - Saturday and Sunday, March 2nd and 3rd

With the storm having started Friday, most resorts in the Tahoe area were closed on Friday and Saturday. And I-80 was closed both directions between Donner pass and Reno, so several folks decided to wait things out in Reno, me included. That meant a get together at SkiTalk World Headquarters, aka STWH, aka Chez Ziggy, aka Phil and Tricia's house... Some food and drinks, ski gear talk of course, and some boot work was done over the weekend. (Thanks for the canting!)

There was even some skiing in the back bowls of Chez Ziggy... you can see video of that HERE and HERE.

Nice to see friends new and old, even if we didn't get to ski
20240302_165039.jpg

Hat guys! @mdf and @Tony S
20240302_164729.jpg

Checking out the test ski selection...
20240303_135808 ACR Conv.jpg

Day 3 - Monday, March 4th

I headed out from Reno early with @Tricia riding along to serve as my local guide. I-80 was still technically closed, but we'd heard that was more about Donner pass, and they'd let people through to get to local places. Well at the main checkpoint on I-80, I was told "no" and had to exit... so we tried the alternate route onto the highway. The guy at that checkpoint simply asked if we were just trying to get to Truckee, I said "yes", and he waved us through. Strange how different the two checkpoints were, but we were off to ski!

Alpine Meadows was the plan for the day, and they would only wind up getting two lower lifts running... Treeline Cirque (TLC) and Roundhouse. The snow, while there was a lot of it, was compacted, blown away, and carved by the wind. So there wasn't much powder skiing, but a lot of nice overall conditions depending on pitch and aspect. It was too bad we didn't get to the other lift areas, but was still a great day! And nice to be through the storm. That evening, I was finally able to check-in to my hotel at Palisades.

Booting up in the Alpine Meadows cafeteria, where you can also leave bags on hooks or by the fireplace
Tahoe Gathering 2024 001 ACR Conv.jpg

Booting up by the fireplace - @Philpug and @Tricia both going with a classic "thumbs up" photo pose. :P
Tahoe Gathering 2024 002 ACR Conv.jpg

First lift ride of the day with @Rainbow Jenny ... who unfortunately would get injured (hope you're healing!)
Tahoe Gathering 2024 004 ACR Conv.jpg

And a ride with @mdf... we more often share first chair than last chair
Tahoe Gathering 2024 005 ACR Conv.jpg

Early runs with @mdf, @Rainbow Jenny, @SKI-3PO, and his son Matthew
Tahoe Gathering 2024 006 ACR Conv.jpg

The sun was trying pretty hard to come out... but it didn't happen. This is the Treeline Cirque area
Tahoe Gathering 2024 014 ACR Conv.jpg

Looking up at the Scott chair area, which we didn't get to ski!
Tahoe Gathering 2024 015 ACR Conv.jpg

Afternoon crew... @Dean, @theNitza, @mdf, @aveski, @Unpiste, @Tony S, @Sinecure, @David Chaus, @DebbieSue, @Gary Stolt, @Phelmut, @SKI-3PO
Tahoe Gathering 2024 017 ACR Conv.jpg

View from somewhere up on Roundhouse lift... the hills around the lift held some nice snow in places!
Tahoe Gathering 2024 021 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Lift ride with @mdf, and some young'uns... @Matchstix and @Vince
Tahoe Gathering 2024 024 ACR Conv.jpg

I skied these the first couple of days... Salomon QST Echo 106... pivoty, rockery, pretty fun
Tahoe Gathering 2024 029 ACR Conv.jpg

Lift ride with @Jim Kenney and @Tony
Tahoe Gathering 2024 030 ACR Conv.jpg

And with the other Tony... @Tony S
Tahoe Gathering 2024 031 ACR Conv.jpg

SkiTalker ridge...
Tahoe Gathering 2024 033 ACR Conv.jpg

@Vince and @Unpiste
Tahoe Gathering 2024 035 ACR Conv.jpg

@Jim Kenney
Tahoe Gathering 2024 037 ACR Conv.jpg

@SKI-3PO and Matthew
Tahoe Gathering 2024 041 ACR Conv.jpg

@theNitza

Tahoe Gathering 2024 042 ACR Conv.jpg

Day 4 - Tuesday, March 5th

Mount Rose day! Tuesdays are "Two For Tuesday" at Mount Rose, so several Gatherers decided to head for a place some of us had never skied. A few more had planned to go, but as part of Mount Rose highway was still closed, access was via a long drive around through Reno - which kept some folks away. I got up a bit earlier and made the drive. Mount Rose was a lot of fun, with variable conditions.

It didn't help that the first run, @Philpug and others decided to lead me down a black diamond slope that was untracked. It looked nice, but it was highly variable, with crust, wind scour, stiff turns... and a few soft ones thrown in too. It was a lot of work for me... but things would get better from there. They shut down the backside after a few runs there, so we spent most time on the shorter front-side Lakeview lift.

The wind was a bit fierce at times, but the sheltered lower mountain areas were better, and things improved throughout the day. Lunch was good, and in the afternoon, we found some nice snow, bumps, and trees that we lapped a bunch of times. It made for a good afternoon, and I enjoyed Mount Rose. Seems a bit like an eastern area, with the single main lodge, small cafeteria, but with plenty of seating, and simple to get around mountain. The terrain is great too, though the chutes weren't open, which looked imposing, and fun if the conditions are right.

Looking at "The Chutes" at Mount Rose... they're impressive looking, but weren't open
Tahoe Gathering 2024 043 ACR Conv.jpg

@Philpug and me
Tahoe Gathering 2024 046 ACR Conv.jpg

Looking up the Zephyr lift on the "slide side" of Mount Rose... this lift closed after just a little while due to high winds
Tahoe Gathering 2024 050 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

@Philpug, @David Chaus, @JFB, and me
Tahoe Gathering 2024 053 ACR Conv.jpg

Looking down a groomer to the valley at Mount Rose
Tahoe Gathering 2024 054 ACR Conv.jpg

More of the valley view
Tahoe Gathering 2024 058 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

@Philpug
Tahoe Gathering 2024 068 ACR Conv.jpg

@Neurodrive
Tahoe Gathering 2024 071 ACR Conv.jpg

@David Chaus
Tahoe Gathering 2024 075 ACR Conv.jpg

@Stephen
Tahoe Gathering 2024 077 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tricia
Tahoe Gathering 2024 080 ACR Conv.jpg

@SSSdave
Tahoe Gathering 2024 082 ACR Conv.jpg

Checking the snow depth... went in pretty easy
Tahoe Gathering 2024 085 ACR Conv.jpg

A horde coming down some bumps
Tahoe Gathering 2024 092 ACR Conv.jpg

Nice view of nearby peaks
Tahoe Gathering 2024 101 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Afternoon crew... Amy, @Neurodrive, @Eleeski, @Philpug, @David Chaus, @Tricia, and @Stephen
Tahoe Gathering 2024 104 ACR Conv.jpg

@Philpug in some nice snow
Tahoe Gathering 2024 109 ACR Conv.jpg

@Stephen
Tahoe Gathering 2024 112 ACR Conv.jpg

@Eleeski cruising
Tahoe Gathering 2024 115 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tricia
Tahoe Gathering 2024 117 ACR Conv.jpg

Interesting trees and view near the top
Tahoe Gathering 2024 122 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

We skied these trees a few times in a row... they were lots of fun... @Stephen and @Eleeski here
Tahoe Gathering 2024 124 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tricia coming out of the trees
Tahoe Gathering 2024 128 ACR Conv.jpg
@Tricia's favorite tree
Tahoe Gathering 2024 131 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

And her with the tree!
Tahoe Gathering 2024 132 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tricia did take one header into the snow... and @Eleeski couldn't explain it
Tahoe Gathering 2024 136 ACR Conv.jpg

@Don4Fun, @Eleeski, me, and @Tricia... fun people to ski with!
Tahoe Gathering 2024 138 ACR Conv.jpg

Looking for good snow toward the end of the day... the snow in the trees in the background looked pretty nice, but was very wind sculpted

Tahoe Gathering 2024 140 ACR Conv.jpg

While Mount Rose was fun, the drive home for me certainly wasn't. I left Mount Rose at about 4:30... and the Mount Rose highway back toward Lake Tahoe was now open. It was completely cleared, and a really nice drive to the lake, where I proceeded to take Rt. 29 around the north shore. There was some traffic ahead but I didn't think too much of it. After a half-hour or so of crawling, traffic pretty much came to a standstill. I waited about 45 mins more, before I gave up.

I turned around, and drove back over all of Mount Rose highway, through Reno, back to I-80, and the whole way back to Palisades. With a stop for gas, I got back about 4 hours after I left. Quite an ordeal, but it sounded like if I'd waited it out, I'd have been stuck there another couple of hours! (Turned out a stuck truck in some snow backed things up for several hours.)

But at least where I was stuck, the views were nice!
20240305_172255.jpg

Day 5 - Wednesday, March 6th

Palisades Olympic Valley... just rolls off the tongue. :P We'll call it OV for short... the storm had finally cleared out, the winds were down, and everything was expected to be open. Granite Chief and Headwall lifts hadn't opened since the storm, so the local skiers seemed to be excited to ski them. I stood near the greeters prior to the meetup, and heard several folks come up and ask them which lifts were going to open for the first time that day.

The morning was spent exploring and waiting for Headwall lift to open. We hit a variety of conditions, and some folks decided to hike the palisades. I took a lap and came back for some (you guessed it) action shots. We had a pretty big group lunch at the top of the Funitel (surprisingly good Indian food), and then I headed down to the lower mountain with @Tony to take a few Red Dog chair laps and wait for the photoshoot @Matchstix had offered up. We wound up with a group of maybe 15 to do the shoot, and had a good time heading down some groom and bumps.

After that I spent the afternoon on KT-22 and Headwall, with @Near Nyquist hunting out good snow for me and @Pumba, even as the afternoon was getting downright warm. An après drink at the iconic Le Chamois was a nice way to end the day.

Booting up at Wildflour
Tahoe Gathering 2024 141 ACR Conv.jpg

I always like this sign/view at the Funitel station
Tahoe Gathering 2024 143 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tony S, @Philpug, @Tricia, and me
Tahoe Gathering 2024 145 ACR Conv.jpg

We somehow, without trying too much, kept a huge group together most of the morning...
Tahoe Gathering 2024 150 ACR Conv.jpg

Some avy debris coming out of The Attic area
Tahoe Gathering 2024 151 ACR Conv.jpg

Me, @Phelmut, @theNitza
Tahoe Gathering 2024 153 ACR Conv.jpg

Headwall chair, The Palisades runs, and Siberia Chair - left to right along the ridge
Tahoe Gathering 2024 157 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

After riding Siberia, a bunch of folks decided to hike the Palisades... while me, Winks, and Phil took a lap to come back and watch them come down... the hike is on the right here, and steeper than it looks here
Tahoe Gathering 2024 164 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

me, @Winks, and @Philpug
Tahoe Gathering 2024 167 ACR Conv.jpg

Catching @Tony S coming out of National (one of the Palisades runs)
Tahoe Gathering 2024 173 ACR Conv.jpg

Tony then stopped to watch everyone else
Tahoe Gathering 2024 174 ACR Conv.jpg

@SKI-3PO
Tahoe Gathering 2024 181 ACR Conv.jpg

@David Chaus
Tahoe Gathering 2024 186 ACR Conv.jpg

@Dean
Tahoe Gathering 2024 188 ACR Conv.jpg

@Neurodrive
Tahoe Gathering 2024 191 ACR Conv.jpg

@theNitza
Tahoe Gathering 2024 196 ACR Conv.jpg

Some tired SkiTalkers after the hike and ski
Tahoe Gathering 2024 197 ACR Conv.jpg

View of Lake Tahoe across Chicken Bowl and the top of Headwall lift
Tahoe Gathering 2024 201 ACR Conv.jpg

@Jim Kenney, @Chickenmonkey, and @Vince at the top of Siberia
Tahoe Gathering 2024 203 ACR Conv.jpg

View down into the village from Red Dog
Tahoe Gathering 2024 207 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Me, @Pumba, and @Near Nyquist heading up KT-22
Tahoe Gathering 2024 208 ACR Conv.jpg

View of Headwall chair from KT-22
Tahoe Gathering 2024 209 ACR Conv.jpg

@Near Nyquist and @Pumba in the Saddle area of KT-22
Tahoe Gathering 2024 216 ACR Conv.jpg

Looking down from the Saddle area
Tahoe Gathering 2024 221 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Looking down at the base of Headwall chair
Tahoe Gathering 2024 222 ACR Conv.jpg

Sun-bow over Headwall
Tahoe Gathering 2024 223 ACR Conv.jpg

These guys were coming up when we were going down... @John Webb, @mdf, @David Chaus, @Tony, @Vince
Tahoe Gathering 2024 225 ACR Conv.jpg

End of the day, après scene at Le Chamois... nice place to have a beer on a pretty warm day

Tahoe Gathering 2024 228 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Day 6 - Thursday, March 7th

Another day, another new resort... this time Diamond Peak, near the western side of Lake Tahoe. It's a smaller, more local mountain, but has a lot going for it. They pride themselves on their grooming, and their manicured glades which are all over the mountain. The views are wonderful too, when you can see them. We did deal with low clouds that rolled in and out across the top of the mountain.

So unfortunately, we didn't quite get Diamond Peak at it's best... but the grooming was great, we had great views at times, and it was a very fun day. The only lift lines of note were pretty much caused by our group - which seems to be the norm on weekdays there from what I understand. I bet it would be a wonderful place on a nice powder day.

The group getting the tour of the place from @Stev early on
Tahoe Gathering 2024 230 ACR Conv.jpg

@theNitza checking out the trail map
Tahoe Gathering 2024 231 ACR Conv.jpg

View of Lake Tahoe from the (of all things) Lakeview lift
Tahoe Gathering 2024 234 ACR Conv.jpg

For Diamond Peak, I was on my Stockli SR95s... always a great all-around ski
Tahoe Gathering 2024 235 ACR Conv.jpg

The grooming really was outstanding... I can see they put care into it
Tahoe Gathering 2024 236 ACR Conv.jpg

me, @Tricia, and @Stev
Tahoe Gathering 2024 237 ACR Conv.jpg

More SkiTalkers coming up behind
Tahoe Gathering 2024 238 ACR Conv.jpg

In addition to being smooth, some of the groomers were also steep... this isn't the steepest of them either
Tahoe Gathering 2024 239 ACR Conv.jpg

Nice views of Washoe Lake off the top
Tahoe Gathering 2024 250 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Lake Tahoe coming down the Crystal Ridge run
Tahoe Gathering 2024 252 ACR Conv.jpg

@Neurodrive and the lake (sounds like an alt-rock band :) )
Tahoe Gathering 2024 257 ACR Conv.jpg

Matching set of Stocklis... SR88 (@Near Nyquist), SR95 (me), and SR105 (@Unpiste)
Tahoe Gathering 2024 259 ACR Conv.jpg

@Near Nyquist and @Unpiste coming out of some trees... it was mostly not good in the trees, but there were a few good turns to be had... the glading is typical all over the place
Tahoe Gathering 2024 260 ACR Conv.jpg

@Near Nyquist
Tahoe Gathering 2024 263 ACR Conv.jpg

A group coming down Spillway from the top... @David Chaus leading the way
Tahoe Gathering 2024 265 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tricia in some light falling snow
Tahoe Gathering 2024 266 ACR Conv.jpg

Another group... SkiTalkers were everywhere... Amy, followed by @aveski and @MarkP here
Tahoe Gathering 2024 267 ACR Conv.jpg

Me, @Phelmut, and @Chris V.
Tahoe Gathering 2024 270 ACR Conv.jpg

Frosted trees near the top
Tahoe Gathering 2024 271 ACR Conv.jpg

Fog coming in before lunch
Tahoe Gathering 2024 273 ACR Conv.jpg

And some brief heavy snowfall
Tahoe Gathering 2024 277 ACR Conv.jpg

Followed by clearing and more lake views
Tahoe Gathering 2024 284 ACR Conv.jpg

The next 2 pics were taken on consecutive runs from the top... conditions changed fast (@Near Nyquist in both)
Tahoe Gathering 2024 302 ACR Conv.jpg Tahoe Gathering 2024 304 ACR Conv.jpg

Sunnier lake view
Tahoe Gathering 2024 316 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

It's not quite spring skiing yet, but there seems to be a wiggle forming already at Diamond Peak!!
Tahoe Gathering 2024 321 ACR Conv.jpg

Day 7 - Friday, March 8th

Well for the last ski day, we wound up back where we started - at Palisades Alpine Meadows. It was a beautiful day that promised to warm up. And Alpine Meadows planned to get all their lifts running... I was excited to ski Sherwood, Lakeview, and Scott chairs. But the local power grid had other ideas... A power outage after a few runs shut down everything!

Some people decided to leave... some people took a seat to wait it out... and many folks (though no one from SkiTalk I don't think) were stuck on the lifts until they could get them unloaded via generator - some for over an hour! Eventually, the base-to-base gondola with OV got running, and a bunch of us decided to take it over, even though it wasn't assured that we'd be able to take it back. (And would have then have to take the shuttle back to pick up cars.)

That was a good choice, as we got some laps in on the OV side of the resort. A couple of runs off KT-22 and Headwall, and then a run down Red Dog and Resort chairs. Fun stuff, and better than sitting around waiting for power to come back. After a few runs, we WERE able to take the gondola back to AM, in time for lunch. The afternoon was spent mostly on Summit chair with a bunch of Wolverine Bowl laps among other things. Some of the other lifts never did re-open after the power outage, which was a disappointment. But the skiing was still good overall, and a nice way to end the Gathering. (Well, a couple of drinks at après were really the end, but the skiing was good too! :) )

Morning started with a big group at the top of Roundhouse chair
Tahoe Gathering 2024 322 ACR Conv.jpg

After a couple of runs... then an hour or so of waiting... the gondola over to OV was boarding... here some folks are getting off at the top of KT-22
Tahoe Gathering 2024 323 ACR Conv.jpg

Then back to AM, and looking for good snow after lunch... @SKI-3PO here
Tahoe Gathering 2024 331 ACR Conv.jpg

@Gary Stolt
Tahoe Gathering 2024 333 ACR Conv.jpg

@Phelmut
Tahoe Gathering 2024 334 ACR Conv.jpg

@Neurodrive on the left, with @Gary Stolt
Tahoe Gathering 2024 335 ACR Conv.jpg

We skied the D-chutes a few times down into Wolverine Bowl... I would ski this one later, and fall (gently)... it was very steep... @Neurodrive and @Phelmut coming out of it
Tahoe Gathering 2024 340 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tony S
Tahoe Gathering 2024 342 ACR Conv.jpg

Sun setting behind Wolverine Bowl
Tahoe Gathering 2024 346 ACR Conv.jpg

Final couple of runs were down The Face under the Summit chair... lots of SkiTalkers... and a random tumbler (and it was a lot more bumped up than it looks)
Tahoe Gathering 2024 351 ACR Conv.jpg Tahoe Gathering 2024 353 ACR Conv.jpg

That was it for 5 days of really good skiing, and a lot of great turns. Other items for the trip...

Flight
I flew in and out of Reno from DC, which is, IMO, easily the best choice. It does require a 1-stop flight from DC, but many ski areas do. And since Reno was getting way less snow than the resorts or passes, my flight got in fine. Coming in from Sacramento or San Francisco would have been tougher.

Lodging
I stayed most of the time at the Olympic Valley Inn, at the outskirts of the village at Palisades. I think it was a good place to stay, though would have been more convenient had we skied Palisades more. It's walkable to the lifts, though a pretty long way in ski boots, and they run a shuttle. The rooms are all suites, with small kitchens, and I was able to eat-in some nights. Maybe most interestingly, per their website, it was built out of the left-over dorm-style buildings where the athletes stayed during the 1960 Olympics, which is cool.

Next Year
The most likely plan is Jackson Hole... but I'm not making any promises yet. :)

BIG THANKS to everyone who came out, dealt with the weather, dealt with the travel, dealt with me, dealt with power outages, and still made this a great Gathering.

We do it, because SKIING IS FUN!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And her with the tree!
Tahoe Gathering 2024 132 ACR Conv.jpg

This is a great TR.
Fun fact of this tree, it was featured in our Buff contest in a buff graphic by @Dave Petersen
It's interesting how the wind affects the trees and how cool they look. I often refer to them as Dr Seuess Trees, like they belong in Whoville.

This a post with pics of the tree from the other side and with different snow levels.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice writeup!
And I-80 was closed both directions between Donner pass and Reno,
80 was actually closed all the way down into the California foothills - a significant chunk of highway not unlike the stretches that were closed last year during the onslaught of atmospheric rivers. Part of why it took so long to open the road (Monday morning) was that several of the snow removal equipment broke!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Part of why it took so long to open the road (Monday morning) was that several of the snow removal equipment broke!
Yeah, that reminds me... we actually saw something about that on the news. Something like 6 out of 8 of the large auger trucks were broken down!

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, that reminds me... we actually saw something about that on the news. Something like 6 out of 8 of the large auger trucks were broken down!
When I drove up Monday morning, I saw one stopped on the shoulder, and the driver was trying to shovel snow out of the blades! For how messy the roads were at the time, I passed shockingly few snowblowers/plows.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is Palisades-OV part of Palisades-Tahoe or just the same thing, and a different name people use?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is Palisades-OV part of Palisades-Tahoe or just the same thing, and a different name people use?
Theoretically, Palisades Tahoe consists of two sides... Olympic Valley, and Alpine Meadows.

But officially, per the website, it's the Palisades side and the Alpine side. But just saying "Palisades" gets confusing then as to whether you're referring to the whole resort, or just the OV side.

Cases in point, their renaming page and their trail map page:

Our Name
'Palisade' is defined as a line of bold cliffs. The Palisades Tahoe name also references and honors two of the resort’s beloved terrain areas. On the Olympic Valley side (now called the Palisades side), iconic granite walls rise looker's left of Siberia Express where generations of freeskiers made their mark in the legendary arena. The terrain with the same name alongside the historic Alpine Bowl Chair on the Alpine Meadows side (now called the Alpine side) is slightly more hidden, but also a proving ground for skiers and riders and a powder day favorite for those in the know.

1710384440938.png

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OV (Olympic Valley) refers to the Palisades Tahoe base area that held the Olympics and had the problematic but recognizable name. OV didn't really stick, though, as a base name, and marketing was erratic when the name change happened, so colloquially, OV is often referred to as Palisades.

But the combined two base areas (Alpine Meadows and Olympic Valley) is Palisades Tahoe.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
In the beginning there was Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows.
The combined new resort name is Palisades Tahoe. The original plan was Squaw Valley -> Olympic Valley. Alpine Meadows -> Alpine.
but marketing was very inconsistent and confusing. It seems to have settled down to Squaw now called Palisades, Alpine is still Alpine, and the two together are Palisades Tahoe as originally renamed.

Also note, both Palisades and Alpine have specific terrain/areas called "Palisades" in their own boundaires.
So you could ski the Palisades at Palisades or the Palisades at Alpine, both in Palisades Tahoe! :philgoat:
:roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
I get it. Yikes.
So OV was where they filmed Hot Dog?

“Alpine Valley” would’ve been a much easier name for the combined area. But then Alpine Meadows gets top billing.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I get it. Yikes.

“Alpine Valley” would’ve been a much easier name for the combined area. But then Alpine Meadows gets top billing.
Yes, Squaw/OV/Palisades is the Hot Dog movie location.

To add to the hijinks ... Nearby resort Sugar Bowl also has their own Palisades terrain.

They had a little fun with it during the Squaw/Alpine renaming :D

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I get it. Yikes.

IMHO, Olympic Valley or Olympic Meadows would have been better options. I heard the cost was too high to use Olympic ... Honestly it was a higher cost not using it. Palisades Tahoe sounds more like an industrial park, business center or old age community.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
IMHO, Olympic Valley or Olympic Meadows would have been better options. I heard the cost was too high to use Olympic ... Honestly it was a higher cost not using it. Palisades Tahoe sounds more like an industrial park, business center or old age community.
I really like "Palisades Tahoe", personally. I just think they should have come up with a better name for the Palisades/OV side - and then really used it/marketed it everywhere. Or otherwise avoided the confusion.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great report @dbostedo!! Thanks for all the time you put into keeping these events going. I had a lot of fun, met new people, and skiied a few days, despite the challenging weather and transportation issues.

As for next year’s gathering - are there open threads to discuss this before the decision is made? Has Taos ever been in the mix for the main gathering?
It makes a lot of sense and kills a couple birds with one stone!

I also just learned that big sky is now not affordable at all for most normal folk?

I hope Snow-mass is still attainable…

any thoughts on a power highway or Canadian Rockies gathering?

sorry, just thinking out loud right now…

k

Sponsor

Staff online