• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
001.jpg
Toyota City, October 6, 2017―Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) intends to showcase its new crossover genre concept vehicle, the Tj CRUISER, for the first time at the 45th Tokyo Motor Show 2017* to be held at Tokyo Big Sight from October 25 through November 5. The Tj CRUISER represents the harmonious balance between the roominess of a cargo van and the powerful design of an SUV.

The Tj CRUISER was designed for drivers with lifestyles where work and play dovetail seamlessly. The "T" in Tj CRUISER stands for "Toolbox" in reference to how the car can be used like a toolbox, while the "j" stands for "joy" in reference to the joy of visiting various places by car. The name "CRUISER," which is traditionally used for Toyota's SUV lineup, is assigned to the Tj CRUISER to express the power of the vehicle. Inside, the passenger seat can be reclined completely flat, and not only can the Tj CRUISER easily hold outdoor equipment, it can also store large items such as 3-meter long surfboards and bikes.

Design
  • The square-shaped cabin, similar to that of a van, exudes high utility. Meanwhile, the sturdy suspension realized by large SUV-sized tires is fused with a bold front. The Tj CRUISER symbolizes a new genre incorporating the strengths of a van with those of an SUV.
  • The hood, roof, and fenders use materials (with special coating) that resist scratches and dirt, even when objects accidentally come into contact with them.

Interior Space
  • The front and rear passenger seats can be reclined completely flat for storing long items up to 3 meters in length such as surfboards.
  • The backs of the seats and deck boards include numerous tie-down points to enable easy anchoring of items from small packages to longer objects. Moreover, the large opening of the back door makes for easy loading and unloading of large items such as bikes.
  • The seat cushion on the passenger seat directly behind the driver can be flipped up towards the front to create dedicated space for storing groceries or shopping items.
  • The large openings of the sliding doors enable loading and unloading of large items from the sides and easy entry and exit for family members, as well.

Other Features
  • Use of the next-generation TNGA platform expected
  • The unit to run on a 2.0-liter class engine + hybrid system
  • Front-wheel-drive, four-wheel-drive system to be used
002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I guess when they bring it to the USA they will put the steering wheel on the left side.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
No. Leave it on the right, and it could be the official delivery vehicle of the USPS.
Nah...it doesn't take up nearly enough space on the road when they double-park in the street..they wouldn't keep up to their standard of pissing off the most people possible.. :huh:

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Oh come on, first they come out with the Fake Jeep Cruiser, now it's the TJ Cruiser? :D(TJ is the 97~06 Jeep Wrangler for those who don't know)

To be honest it would've fit Scion brand better if they didn't screw it up and then killed it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Came here excited always loving the look of the FJs.. Arrived disappointed to see the child of a Hummer and a sprinter van.. cool the way the seats fold down... other than that, not the least bit impressed..

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...and I bet it gets at least 9 miles to the gallon. :eek:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just can't get over how ugly the front looks.

Muleski

Inactive
Not saying that I love the looks of it; of course we'll see what the real thing looks like in time.

I'm just pleased to see a car company at least trying to design a vehicle that does fit active family lifestyles.

The cars that I like the most, and drove for decades, pretty much no longer exist. "Sportswagons", decent power, AWD, stick, high build quality. Gone, for the most part. Toast.

Nobody seems to be putting energy into that market {save for the Alltrack}. At least here's some thinking that seems to serve a market of people who're active, on the go, in all sorts of weather and driving conditions, with both people and a lot of "stuff." That sounds OK.

Will be interested in the final-final edition. Kind of underwhelmed at first look.

I remember thinking that the Honda Element was one of the ugliest, oddest vehicles that I had ever seen when it rolled out. I can't count how many families we know who still have one, and ran to to reload when Honda discontinued it. It's one of those that just works, I guess.

Maybe this will be another. Sienna is a great vehicle for a ski family, BTW. Can't believe how many I see in ski parking lots.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Definitely needs some racks and a box on top.. More room for people inside and gear outside up top..

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just can't get over how ugly the front looks.
Toyota's front ends have been awful for the past few generations of vehicles. The Preditor look has gotten old real fast.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Toyota's front ends have been awful for the past few generations of vehicles. The Preditor look has gotten old real fast.

I think the Lexus grills are the ugliest.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Element was a bit of a tin can. It was very loud on the highway.
muleski - how about the new Buick Regal TourX?

Muleski

Inactive
I'm not saying I{we} liked the Element. I know a surprising number of people who do. A college fired of mine has two cars. A very "tricked out" Porsche Cayman, and an Element. Maybe his 3rd Element. He fills it with ski stuff, boat stuff, fishing stuff, bikes, kayaks. He and his wife camp in it. For a certain segment of the active lifestyle group, that thing was a home run. I admit, watching him wash the interior with a hose never seemed quite right.

We are confirmed Toyota Land Cruiser owners for one of our vehicles. Will always own one. Have had at least one for 20+ years, replacing two Suburbans.

The Tour X may be an interesting car. I say car. We'll see. The Volvo V90 is another, but the prices of these things are "not cheap." We are very closer to buying a cousin's A6 3.0T Avant. Company car with really low miles. I so wish that it has a six speed. A conversion is a waste of money, regardless of how long we'd keep it. Which in our family tends to be a long time.

Back on topic, I'm interested in seeing how this project and platform unfolds. Always interested in cars, and vehicles designed to reach "our kind of people." I bought the FJ Cruiser was hideous at first , and it had a lot of appeal to many people.

We'll see!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
AFAIK, BMW is still making their Sportwagon. And I guess the Outback is still a wagon.

I don't see very many Toyota Venzas on the road (don't know if they come in AWD).

The Volvo V90 is interesting because Geely (sp?), the huge Chinese car maker that owns Volvo has had Volvo go even more high tech, upscale, luxury. So, there are automotive journalists that speculate that since Geely cars sold in China don't meet US standards, in order for Geely to enter the US market they will build cars based on the Volvo chassis but with less expensive down market bodies and interiors.

I don't have any idea when (or if) Geely Volvos will be available but a used GeelyV90 would interest me in about 10 years.

I currently drive a 2006 XC70 in winter.

Muleski

Inactive
@DanoT,

The BMW 330xi comes with only an automatic. It's pretty small for us. Our son just picked up a used one, last year with the six speed. One of the last AWD, manual trans cars with some decent performance sold in the U.S., a 2010, I think.

The Outback with the 3.6 engine has never come with a six speed. Both Outback models in the US only come with a CVT. I know that the four cylinder manual is available for you in Canada. But neither car is what I'd really want. My Subie days are behind me.

Venza is no longer sold in the US, and was never available with a manual.

Audi has no AWD six speed wagon. that ended a few years ago. It ended quite some time ago with the A6 3.0T, which as a used car has some serious interest on our part.

Back in the late 90's my wife had a 1998 Volvo V70R wagon. Should have held onto it. I had a 1989 BMW 325ix, with a stick. We had the AWD thing dialed in. We had a Cross Country for a while, then the second generation V70R wagon. That one had a few issues.

We've owned a VW Synchro, two S6 Avants, two S4 Avants, a VW W8 wagon, a BMW 535xi....all manual transmissions. Then my wife got into a MT X3. I had so many issues with the 535 that I dumped it for a Subie LGT, having had a Subie loaner for about four months! That was the last manual transmission AWD wagon that we bought.

At one point our son said, "you really ought to buy a couple of these NEW, as the car companies could care less about used car sales. If nobody buys them new, they sure as well will not bring them into the country,"

Smart guy. Gone. The all track is back!

I just like driving a manual trans in a car like that. I understand all of the merits of
an automatic, etc. Just a personal preference thing.

Will be interesting to see how the V90 goes. Looks like quite a car, on paper and in print. Then we have the E class of MB wagons.

Should have hooked all of my friends on MT wagons back around 2000!

Sponsor

Staff online