• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Trip with my 13 y/o- Fly into Calgary for Big 3, Revy and Kicking Horse or Spokane for Red, Whitewater & Rev in mid January?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
A nice part about doing Red and White H2O is the lack of passes from Spokane to do them.
I would be a very happy camper to just be skiing those two. Hope the heaven is a lot like Roseland, BC.
I hope that spelling doesn't count in Heaven, OTOH Roseland likely smells better than Rossland. :duck:

Good point about Rossland being a nice town as the OP is also looking at real estate.

Revelstoke and Fernie (not on the OP's ski list but should be) are also very nice ski towns.

Nelson is 20 minutes from Whitewater and is the hippie capital of Canada, both young and old.

Banff and Lake Louise are in a National Park making prices high and availability very limited.

Golden is OK, I guess.

In the highly unlikely event that the Canada-US border has cumbersome restrictions in 2022, then a Schweitzer-Whitefish trip would make sense for the OP. I have done the drive on highway #2(?) between Bonner's Ferry ID and Whitefish a couple of times in my 8500lb truck camper and found it an easy drive with only a couple of spots with signs saying "10% grade, Trucks Gear Down".

As far as mountain passes go, one has to cross Kootnay Pass (highest in B.C.) on the Salmo-Creston highway to go from Red/Whitewater to Schweitzer. The good news is that other than a long sweeping corner near the bottom of the Salmo end, it is pretty much a straight shot up and over the pass with no switchbacks.

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I hope that spelling doesn't count in Heaven, OTOH Roseland likely smells better than Rossland. :duck:

:
:

As far as mountain passes go, one has to cross Kootnay Pass (highest in B.C.) on the Salmo-Creston highway to go from Red/Whitewater to Schweitzer. The good news is that other than a long sweeping corner near the bottom of the Salmo end, it is pretty much a straight shot up and over the pass with no switchbacks.
Speaking of spelling, is there both a Kootnay Pass and a Kootenay Pass in BC? Or is Kootnay a Canadian thing? https://www.travel-british-columbia.com/kootenay-rockies gets a little confusing, but https://www.google.com/search?q=kootenay+mountains does say Kootenay.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Of those you mentioned:

1. Kicking Horse
2. Red Mountain
3. Whitewater

If you and your kid can hang in powder and not slow the group down but can get back to the Cat promptly, I highly recommend Big Red Cats near Red Mountain.

Don't forget Ainsworth Hotsprings.

And remember that Northern Exposure was filmed in Rossland, B.C. So, tool around there for fun too.

P.S. Don't blindly follow your GPS. The pass is sometimes closed in the Winter, requiring a drive around.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you and your kid can hang in powder and not slow the group down but can get back to the Cat promptly, I highly recommend Big Red Cats near Red Mountain.
There are several Cat and Heli operations in B.C. that could be part of the OP's itinerary but most require a reservation months in advance.

One option is Selkirk-Tangiers Heli-Skiing offer day/half day/ single runs, loading right out of the base at Revelstoke.

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Of those you mentioned:

1. Kicking Horse
2. Red Mountain
3. Whitewater

Don't forget Ainsworth Hotsprings.

And remember that Northern Exposure was filmed in Rossland, B.C. So, tool around there for fun too.

P.S. Don't blindly follow your GPS. The pass is sometimes closed in the Winter, requiring a drive around.

My son is getting his powder chops but he's not quite ready for Cat or Heli trips but hopefully after these 2 Canada trips, he'll be closer. We are also hoping for a trip to Chile this Summer but Covid is still a big deal there (they did a great job getting people vaccinated but wasted money on a Chinese vaccine that is only 30% effective) so it's not looking good.

That brings up a question I've been thinking about...is the avy mitigation really good at those resorts? Should one really be skiing with a beacon in bounds? Obviously it's better to have them than not but is it almost a requirement along the powder highway? There's only been a handful of in bound situations where I wished I had one in the States and since we no longer live out West, we don't have them or airbags. Can they be rented?

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
There are more knowledgeable avy people here than me. I have only taken AIRE 1. Are airbags used in Cat skiing now, I am not sure. But everyone is required to carry a pack with shovel, probe and beacon and know how to use them and training is refreshed at the beginning of a Cat skiing trip.

For inbounds resort skiing , avalanche mitigation is done by Patrol.

For out of bounds resort skiing, avy equipment should be carried.

On big dump days (~3 ft. in 24 hours and concerns raised by the Sierra Avalanche Center), I have carried my avy gear and insisted that my wife carry hers even inbounds.

You and your son can take an avy course at Kicking Horse. I strongly recommend taking one. It will change the way you look at the mountains on the way to a resort, at a resort, and out of bounds at a resort.

I remember scouting hole in the wall (an out of bounds feature at another resort which can be dicey) with some in our group three years ago and pointed out 9 crowns. And I was astonished that some in our group did not know what a crown was and, therefore, did not know what to look for and, in fact, had trouble seeing them.

Last edited:

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Regarding ski real estate- In 2005 my wife and I decided to move from BC to Ontario to share in the care of her parents. Rather than give up skiing (insert sound of outraged Ontario skiers) and on a limited budget we bought a relatively cheap condo in Sparwood BC. 35 minutes to the Fernie parking lot and 1 hour and 15 to Castle.
IMHO these two hills are some of the best in Western Canada. Sparwood is a blue collar coal mining town, not a a resort and that is just the way we like it.. Not an Aussie in sight but lots of Nerwfies. Summer and winter in Sparwood and Spring and Fall in Ontario. We did this for 10 years until we moved back to BC in 2015.
I am suggesting try to find a place with two ski options like Rossland ($$$$) or Sparwood ($) If you have a big budget with US$ by all means buy in a resort but it isn't the only way to go.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The OP, when it comes to real estate prices, might experience Sticker Shock because B.C. really stands for Bring Cash. In other words, housing in B.C. is expensive even with the strong US dollar vs CDN $.

The other Sticker Shock is gas prices around $5.50+/gal in the B.C. interior ($6 where I am on the coast) and that is around $4.50US.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't get me wrong Schweitzer is a nice resort, but you just cannot put it in the same class as Banff, Lake Louise, Revy, Kicking Horse, Fernie, Panorama, Big White, Silver Star, Sun Peaks, Red Mountain ... etc. Just to name a few.

I can address some potential short comings that would be a big negative if they existed: Does Schweitzer get less snow, more fog, more crowds, or is more expensive than some resorts on the list: NO.

How about terrain? Schweitzer has black diamond bowl skiing, tree skiing, and you can go Cat skiing on terrain right beside the resort.

Modern lifts? They have a 6 pack chair (with cool loading in an old barn) and several quads, so that can't be Schweitzer's big negative. Or is there a flawed lift layout design? I only have about 6 days at Schweitzer so I am no expert on the pluses and minuses but I can guarantee few places are worse than KH or Revy for poorly designed lift layout and certainly not Schweitzer.

On hill accommodation? Yup, some is ski in/out I think.

Access? There is free parking on mountain as well as a free parking lot with a inexpensive shuttle bus if you don't want to drive all the way to the lifts.

So @dovski, just what is it about Schweitzer that keeps it out of the same class as the resorts that you have listed?

Last edited:

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
FYI in terms of border… some restrictions on the quarantine are lifting on July 5 for Canadian citizens/permanent residents who are fully vaccinated, so a phased opening is already beginning (I’m actually in the US myself right now waiting to cross back home to Canada once quarantine is lifted). There is a study out there from the govt laying out the recommended reopening strategy (too lazy to find the link, but it’s on the govt site)… likely scenario is that if you aren’t vaccinated you will be subject to some length of quarantine that would be quite restrictive to tourism travel (7+ days?), with no restrictions on fully vaccinated.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FYI in terms of border… some restrictions on the quarantine are lifting on July 5 for Canadian citizens/permanent residents who are fully vaccinated, so a phased opening is already beginning (I’m actually in the US myself right now waiting to cross back home to Canada once quarantine is lifted). There is a study out there from the govt laying out the recommended reopening strategy (too lazy to find the link, but it’s on the govt site)… likely scenario is that if you aren’t vaccinated you will be subject to some length of quarantine that would be quite restrictive to tourism travel (7+ days?), with no restrictions on fully vaccinated.
Are you around Tahoe?
Give us a shout if you are.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I can address some potential short comings that would be a big negative if they existed: Does Schweitzer get less snow, more fog, more crowds, or is more expensive than some resorts on the list: NO.

How about terrain? Schweitzer has black diamond bowl skiing, tree skiing, and you can go Cat skiing on terrain right beside the resort.

Modern lifts? They have a 6 pack chair (with cool loading in an old barn) and several quads, so that can't be Schweitzer's big negative. Or is there a flawed lift layout design? I only have about 6 days at Schweitzer so I am no expert on the pluses and minuses but I can guarantee few places are worse than KH or Revy for poorly designed lift layout and certainly not Schweitzer.

On hill accommodation? Yup, some is ski in/out I think.

Access? There is free parking on mountain as well as a free parking lot with a inexpensive shuttle bus if you don't want to drive all the way to the lifts.

So @dovski, just what is it about Schweitzer that keeps it out of the same class as the resorts that you have listed?
There is nothing wrong with Schweitzer, I just prefer interior BC and Canadian Rockies over it for the following reasons:
  1. Quality of snow is consistently better in the Canadian Rockies and interior BC. My experiences at Schweitzer and those of my friends who had season passes there this year were inconsistent at best
  2. Quality of terrain at Schweitzer is fine but does not hold a candle to many of the resorts I mentioned in my earlier post
  3. Ambiance and atmosphere at Schweitzer is nice, but I much prefer small ski towns, national parks ... etc. that you find in the Canadian Rockies and interior BC
  4. Proximity to other great resorts there is just no comparison on this one - if you start in Banff you can take highway and hit so many different world class resorts it is not funny
So again nothing personal against Schweitzer, again it is a nice resort, I just don't see it as part of the Powder Highway/Canadian Rockies ski experience and quite frankly there are so many amazing resorts in that grouping if I was going to add on an extra resort or extra ski days it would be there and not Schweitzer. Be honest with me Dano T if you had to chose one or the other would you go to Banff or Schweitzer? Now do the same with just about every other resort I listed (minus KH or Revy) and sum up the number of those amazing resorts you would chose over Schweitzer and you have your answer. Better yet Dano T where would you rather buy a place Sun Peaks or Schweitzer ;)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is nothing wrong with Schweitzer, I just prefer interior BC and Canadian Rockies over it for the following reasons:
  1. Quality of snow is consistently better in the Canadian Rockies and interior BC. My experiences at Schweitzer and those of my friends who had season passes there this year were inconsistent at best
  2. Quality of terrain at Schweitzer is fine but does not hold a candle to many of the resorts I mentioned in my earlier post
  3. Ambiance and atmosphere at Schweitzer is nice, but I much prefer small ski towns, national parks ... etc. that you find in the Canadian Rockies and interior BC
  4. Proximity to other great resorts there is just no comparison on this one - if you start in Banff you can take highway and hit so many different world class resorts it is not funny
So again nothing personal against Schweitzer, again it is a nice resort, I just don't see it as part of the Powder Highway/Canadian Rockies ski experience and quite frankly there are so many amazing resorts in that grouping if I was going to add on an extra resort or extra ski days it would be there and not Schweitzer. Be honest with me Dano T if you had to chose one or the other would you go to Banff or Schweitzer? Now do the same with just about every other resort I listed (minus KH or Revy) and sum up the number of those amazing resorts you would chose over Schweitzer and you have your answer. Better yet Dano T where would you rather buy a place Sun Peaks or Schweitzer ;)
I can (but don't feel like) list the all negatives (and positives) of every ski resort in western Canada, and they all have some, but none of these resorts are head and shoulders above Schweitzer.

As far as Banff vs Schweitzer, Lake Louise gets less snow than I like although I am not a powder hound. But what LL has is great terrain, some of the best in Canada. OTOH I would chose Schweitzer over Sunshine Village, so it's a wash.

Yes I would buy a place at Sun Peaks rather than Schweitzer but my point is that Schweitzer would be on the list for consideration while other resorts such as Big White, Silver Star, Panorama would not.

Big Whiteout speaks for itself.

Silver Star has the Powder Gulch which is mostly steeper and more mogul-ed than I like while the rest of SS is flatter than I like. Also 40k people living in Vernon 20min away, can lead to some crazy busy powder mornings.

I have never skied Panorama because any resort that gets less snow than Sun Peaks and has the most snow making in B.C. and needs snow making to the very top of the mountain, I'm not a player. The locals joke about Panorama being "the hole in the doughnut", meaning it snows all around Panorama but not in the resort when the storms blow thru.

As to preferring small B.C. ski towns, well that is great but Big White, Silver Star, and Sun Peaks have the most on hill development but they are purpose built ski villages and in that regard are just like Schweitzer. IMO, for a vacation visit, Schweitzer's nearby town of Sandpoint ranks higher than Kelowna, Vernon, or Kamloops for those not staying on the mountain.

Snow quality was also part of the @dovski criteria. Well I am here to tell you that one of the main reasons I am not a Red Mtn. regular is that Red gets rain and wet snow, similar to Stevens Pass. I have friends who have spent a week at Red playing pool because it rained to the top of the mountain all week. Pro ski tip: If skiing at Red during a mild spell, pack up and go to nearby Whitewater which is higher elevation.

As far as proximity to other great resorts, it has already been mentioned in this thread that Red/Whitewater/Schweitzer make a very good mini trip and if Revy replaces Schweitzer, then there is more driving involved.

It comes down to personal choice, but with a list as long and varied as @dovski's, not only would I include Schweitzer as part of great skiing in the region because it is very comparable to much of the skiing avaiable in Western Canada, I would also include Apex and Castle and Whitefish on the list.

Last edited:

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
No need to be so pessimistic or optimistic to need airbags or beacons inbounds on the Powder Highway. We get snow but we also get a lot of hype.
'Roxanne' with Steve Martin and Darryl Hannah was filmed in Nelson if you want to check it out.
Have you thought about Mount Baker in Washington for buying ski property? Incredible beauty and record snowfall. As a National Park you can't buy on the mountain but Bellingham in a very cool town and there are communities closer to the hill. I skied there for 20 years and aside from Castle it is the only place I have had face shots going over my shoulders and head. The snow can be heavy but not a problem with the right skills and equipment. That is one place I might wear a bag/beacon.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No need to be so pessimistic or optimistic to need airbags or beacons inbounds on the Powder Highway. We get snow but we also get a lot of hype.
Yeah, if you encounter a local on a powder day and he/she is wearing a beacon it is because they plan on going out of bounds once the Powder Hour is over.

"The Powder Highway" is a great marketing slogan but really it is only Whitewater that is off the hooks as they are tied with Whistler for the most snow in Canada. They don't get the rain and wet snow like Whistler, though.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I can (but don't feel like) list the all negatives (and positives) of every ski resort in western Canada, and they all have some, but none of these resorts are head and shoulders above Schweitzer.

As far as Banff vs Schweitzer, Lake Louise gets less snow than I like although I am not a powder hound. But what LL has is great terrain, some of the best in Canada. OTOH I would chose Schweitzer over Sunshine Village, so it's a wash.

Yes I would buy a place at Sun Peaks rather than Schweitzer but my point is that Schweitzer would be on the list for consideration while other resorts such as Big White, Silver Star, Panorama would not.

Big Whiteout speaks for itself.

Silver Star has the Powder Gulch which is mostly steeper and more mogul-ed than I like while the rest of SS is flatter than I like. Also 40k people living in Vernon 20min away, can lead to some crazy busy powder mornings.

I have never skied Panorama because any resort that gets less snow than Sun Peaks and has the most snow making in B.C. and needs snow making to the very top of the mountain, I'm not a player. The locals joke about Panorama being "the hole in the doughnut", meaning it snows all around Panorama but not in the resort when the storms blow thru.

As to preferring small B.C. ski towns, well that is great but Big White, Silver Star, and Sun Peaks have the most on hill development but they are purpose built ski villages and in that regard are just like Schweitzer. IMO, for a vacation visit, Schweitzer's nearby town of Sandpoint ranks higher than Kelowna, Vernon, or Kamloops for those not staying on the mountain.

Snow quality was also part of the @dovski criteria. Well I am here to tell you that one of the main reasons I am not a Red Mtn. regular is that Red gets rain and wet snow, similar to Stevens Pass. I have friends who have spent a week at Red playing pool because it rained to the top of the mountain all week. Pro ski tip: If skiing at Red during a mild spell, pack up and go to nearby Whitewater which is higher elevation.

As far as proximity to other great resorts, it has already been mentioned in this thread that Red/Whitewater/Schweitzer make a very good mini trip and if Revy replaces Schweitzer, then there is more driving involved.

It comes down to personal choice, but with a list as long and varied as @dovski's, not only would I include Schweitzer as part of great skiing in the region because it is very comparable to much of the skiing avaiable in Western Canada, I would also include Apex and Castle and Whitefish on the list.
Well played sir, I will concede that personal preference and timing/snow conditions plays a key role here. My limited experience with Schweitzer has been poor snow conditions, so perhaps I need to give it another chance on a good snow day and I have not spent much time in Sandpoint as I typically drive through Idaho to get to Montana :) . That said Sunshine is one of my favorite resorts anywhere and always has great snow, Lake Louise has epic terrain that rivals some of the best mountains in the world and Banff/Lake Louise are pretty special places and tops in my books that just add to the overall ski experience. I have also been skiing interior BC for most of my life and really like a lot of those resorts and have had great experiences there, so this also shapes my personal opinion. As an FYI I also really like Whitefish and Big Sky. So to be clear I do not hate Schweitzer I have just had better snow and overall ski experiences at other resorts, but that could just be bad timing.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Sandpoint has Schweitzer and perhaps the nicest beach in Inland Northwest. They call it "Sandpoint" for a reason. Summer is grand there. Monsters are everywhere, but how many other lakes have functioning US Navy submarines?

download.jpg

Sponsor