• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uh oh. Fast Tracks at Powdr resorts is coming

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Blip, you'll only notice them if they are in your way changing a flat in the parking lot. IPA consumers think they Own bachelor so beat em to bar..
If you know the employees by first name, you're good to go.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not unusual, but this thread does point out some interesting things not at all related to skiing. Perhaps a forum for the members of the Church of Perpetual Outrage would be appropriate. Stop harshing my mellow, mannnnnnn.....

I've got enough people harshing my mellow these days. This place is supposed to be an escape. :)

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Perhaps a forum for the members of the Church of Perpetual Outrage would be appropriate. Stop harshing my mellow, mannnnnnn.....
Would you like to join?

As far as your relaxation, you live in Colorado. Your local marijuana dispensary could help you a lot with that. Next time you log on to SkiTalk, smoke a couple of J's first. I know I do, and I live in Utah.

Don'tfit

Putting on skis
Skier
"I've got enough people harshing my mellow these days. This place is supposed to be an escape."

You might try "The Stems and Seeds" forum, that may cheer you up

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Would you like to join?

As far as your relaxation, you live in Colorado. Your local marijuana dispensary could help you a lot with that. Next time you log on to SkiTalk, smoke a couple of J's first. I know I do, and I live in Utah.

1. Um, I'm not the one all bent out of shape by this shit. I am at peace with the Fast Pass.
2. Dispensaries suck.
IMG_5625.jpeg

05F53F3B-521E-4F21-B9D0-67A1ECEDE30F_1_201_a.jpeg
[My house this morning.]

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"I've got enough people harshing my mellow these days. This place is supposed to be an escape."

You might try "The Stems and Seeds" forum, that may cheer you up

I’ve never been a user but holy shit my life has made me consider options of late. Colleagues and law professors are trying to kill me.

Perhaps I should reach out to @SBrown.

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
1. Um, I'm not the one all bent out of shape by this shit.
Ummm. Sorry to say but you seem pretty bent out of shape toward those of us who are bent out of shape.

That's an interesting setup you got going on there. With that big of a stash, you should be spending way more time smoking and way less time bothering with whatever us negative Nellie's got to say.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ummm. Sorry to say but you seem pretty bent out of shape toward those of us who are bent out of shape.

That's an interesting setup you got going on there. With that big of a stash, you should be spending way more time smoking and way less time bothering with whatever us negative Nellie's got to say.

Projection at its finest! xoxo

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, I’ll throw a thought out about this how i suspect I would look at it if I was running the mountain/company or put my day job hat on so to speak (not something I do here a lot).

1. Lot of people are suggesting that it‘s something the 1% will leverage or use creating imbalance on mountain. I haven’t read all 29 pages but I would think many instructors here could vouch that a lot of the groups in that space, already have that path and it’s private lessons. Priv lesson = Fastpass + guided mountain, that is the likely path for that target market. It’s worth pointing out I haven’t seen too many ski school thread complaints, which is something I think would be good to keep in mind.
  2. Fastpass in the grand scheme of the price points they have announced should not have any meaningful uplift in revenue unless they sell it at scale. The challenge is if they sell it at scale they actually create a worse scenario because not only do they piss off all regular pass skiers (true second class citizen scenario if they really sell that many) BUT they also piss off the fastpass purchaser because it doesn’t have anywhere to the intended effect. If it’s not sold at scale the cafeteria food that many non-locals eat easily eclipses the revenue. Some of these resorts 2-3 drinks = fast pass, yeah I’m exaggerating but only a bit.
  3. What I suspect this is targeted for is net retention, specifically out of town travelers on their once a year or sometimes once every few years ski trips. Yes probably middle class but certainly not 1%. And the intent is specifically to give them a good enough experience on mountain that all the other areas they generate revenue - food, drink, lodging, rentals, maybe partial group lessons for the family gets them back again the following year because of the overall combined experience. As many pointed out in most lines you are getting maybe a minute to several back. For locals or people who truly ski a lot a year that might not matter - to the family of 4-5 that spends thousands on that trip - it not only will matter but might make them come back again the next time.
It’s all hypothesis but would make sense business wise. Frankly I think you’ll see the reality quickly. Hell next big powder day take a look - many locals on a day like that would probably spend it. Odds are they cap out on passes or maybe don’t even offer it.

Anyway more business than I care to think this time of night but I’d bet a fair amount it’s close. Any other scenario costs too many customers for no real gain.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have a better idea!

Sell me a Fast Driver's License.
That way I can drive to the mountain at speed to get first tracks with impunity without getting a fine, demerit points on my license and higher insurance rates. I would pay a lot of money for it.

While we're at it, how much is a license to kill? Asking for a friend.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a better idea!

That way I can drive to the mountain at speed to get first tracks with impunity without getting a fine, demerit points on my license and higher insurance rates. I would pay a lot of money for it.

Some states in the US have what amount to fast track lanes (Cali). Comes to mind. I think quite a few folks treat tickets the same way in the same way as long as they avoid fines.

I get the anger but I think the implementation will hurt less than many expect in the practical sense. Anyway it will play out soon enough and people will see the impact.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Whenever I read one of these lift line bitch threads, complete with pics, I realize that I am so grateful that almost all Americans and most eastern Canadians just go to Whistler or Banff and have yet to discover the B.C. Interior resorts and the few that do are probably just getting in a few resort days prior to a Cat or Heli trip and those numbers are very small. ogsmile

Sheesh!! Please keep this a secret. 1st rule of BC Interior resort Club. ;)

For everyone else... don't come. It's so quiet there's no nightlife, the good snow will ruin your skiing (remembering that there is good snow and snow that is good for you) and the bears are so well feed they don't den in winter. (That's okay on a crowded slope, not so good when you are the only one in the bear's domain.) In short you won't like it.

1. Um, I'm not the one all bent out of shape by this shit. I am at peace with the Fast Pass.
2. Dispensaries suck.
View attachment 145909

View attachment 145908
[My house this morning.]

Are dogs like that available online? Are they like truffle dogs, able to locate the best? :cool:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a better idea!

You just have to learn how to ski faster to get further ahead in the line. Oh. and stop on the trail less too. While we are at it, will you even be at any of the resorts that are implementing Fast Tracks? Asking for a friend.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well, I’ll throw a thought out about this how i suspect I would look at it if I was running the mountain/company or put my day job hat on so to speak (not something I do here a lot).

1. Lot of people are suggesting that it‘s something the 1% will leverage or use creating imbalance on mountain. I haven’t read all 29 pages but I would think many instructors here could vouch that a lot of the groups in that space, already have that path and it’s private lessons. Priv lesson = Fastpass + guided mountain, that is the likely path for that target market. It’s worth pointing out I haven’t seen too many ski school thread complaints, which is something I think would be good to keep in mind.
  2. Fastpass in the grand scheme of the price points they have announced should not have any meaningful uplift in revenue unless they sell it at scale. The challenge is if they sell it at scale they actually create a worse scenario because not only do they piss off all regular pass skiers (true second class citizen scenario if they really sell that many) BUT they also piss off the fastpass purchaser because it doesn’t have anywhere to the intended effect. If it’s not sold at scale the cafeteria food that many non-locals eat easily eclipses the revenue. Some of these resorts 2-3 drinks = fast pass, yeah I’m exaggerating but only a bit.
  3. What I suspect this is targeted for is net retention, specifically out of town travelers on their once a year or sometimes once every few years ski trips. Yes probably middle class but certainly not 1%. And the intent is specifically to give them a good enough experience on mountain that all the other areas they generate revenue - food, drink, lodging, rentals, maybe partial group lessons for the family gets them back again the following year because of the overall combined experience. As many pointed out in most lines you are getting maybe a minute to several back. For locals or people who truly ski a lot a year that might not matter - to the family of 4-5 that spends thousands on that trip - it not only will matter but might make them come back again the next time.
It’s all hypothesis but would make sense business wise. Frankly I think you’ll see the reality quickly. Hell next big powder day take a look - many locals on a day like that would probably spend it. Odds are they cap out on passes or maybe don’t even offer it.

Anyway more business than I care to think this time of night but I’d bet a fair amount it’s close. Any other scenario costs too many customers for no real gain.

Nice analysis. I guess @SBrown's argument that the Fast passers are the suckers fits with 3.

But 2 rather undermines the argument we've had here that it's all good contribution to infrastructure so we should suck it up like obedient little consumers worshipping at the altar of corporate benevolence, so we might have to believe the intent in that case is to push it til people stop paying IF we are to believe there is some upside to the skier population ( meaningful income directed to infrastructure).

I suspect everyone is just resigned to 1, there is no effective way of controlling for it and if individuals doing it have no ethical conscience about it it will just happen.

I might offer a 4, that the business case is really a data gathering/ behaviourial econ point. Gathering enough data about purchase habits linked to type of skier to generate a surge pricing model or passholder premium days etc. Maybe semi-blackout days where you pay to get out of jail.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
You just have to learn how to ski faster to get further ahead in the line. Oh. and stop on the trail less too. While we are at it, will you even be at any of the resorts that are implementing Fast Tracks? Asking for a friend.
I don't plan on going to any fast pass locations; I'm hoping that, and doing my best to make sure that, fast pass doesn't come to my locations. If I have to spend more time in a line up and less time skiing (or pay more), that's a bad thing.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Camelback did this as well, but Blue allowed season passholders to go to the front of the corral all day.
They still alternate the season passholders’ line with the day passholders’ line. Sometimes the line jockey will wave though a lot of day passholders to even things out a bit. So it’s not like the season passholders are circulating though faster all the time while everyone else waits. There are still far more day passholders at Blue than season passholders.

I don’t like the idea of the fast pass. Give the season passholders some perks for being loyal customers and leave it at that. I do see it as further class differentiation as others here pointed out. In reality, it may not make much of a difference as @SBrown noted, but, in theory, it makes me feel uneasy. Hopefully it won’t have a negative impact on everyone’s experience on the mountain.

Sponsor