• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Upcoming 2022 Trip Reports - N. Macedonia, Uzbekistan, Georgia

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
G'day Pugs,
Well, I don't want to tempt fate, but finally, after nearly 2 years, the prospects of actually being able to run some ski trips this season, are looking good! It's been a tough 18-months without a proper income (as it has been for many people, I'm sure), but international travel has been pretty much shut down. I did try last winter to run some trips to Kosovo and North Macedonia (whose borders were open), but for different reasons, they didn't end up happening and Chile didn't eventuate either......

Thankfully the Delta surge is now on the decline in many countries and borders have reopened. I had to pivot and look to some new destinations as my traditional trips to Japan and India, are still off the cards as the borders are still closed there (we'll be back in 2023), so I switched focus to some new destinations where the borders have been reopen for some time, plus Georgia where I have been running trips since 2019.

I will be skiing and training the staff again at Granby Ranch through December, but after New Year, I will be switching focus to running our trips. The season starts in North Macedonia on January 8th. I'll be flying to Skopje and then transferring to the resort of Popova Sapka. There I will be running two cat skiing trips with a local operator. I have two groups booked in, one from the 8th to the 17th of January and then the second is from the 19th to the 28th of January. A lot of the guests coming on this trip were booked in for Japan for 2022 but switched to North Macedonia as the Japan border is still closed. We'll have 6 day's of cat skiing with each group, with the potential for 2 half days in the resort. We'll finish each session with 2 night's in Skopje with 1 full day of siteseeing. This should be a really fun trip and I'm excited to be working with a really experienced Macedonian team on the ground, it makes my life a lot easier when running a site-unseen trip.

Then I'll have about 8 or 9 days back at home in Granby before heading off to Uzbekistan. This will be another site-unseen trip, also working with an experienced local guide. I have a group of return guests/friends who are up for an adventure. I'm very happy that my wife is coming on this trip (as is one of the other wives) and we'll have a really fun group. I'm hoping to head out to Uzbekistan a little early with my wife so we can do some sightseeing and explore the ancient Silk Road city of Samarkand. Samarkand looks amazing! If we'd have had more time, then we would have visited some of the other ancient cities of Bukhara and Khiva, but we don't have time for that unfortunately. We should have a day to explore Tashkent as well (plus we have 2 night's, 1 full day in Tashkent at the end of the trip) and I'm looking forward to that. Dates will be the 10th to the 26th of February.

The potential for skiing in Uzbekistan looks really good. They are another one of those emerging, former Soviet countries where skiing is just getting started and there's a lot of new infrastructure being put in. We'll be staying at Amirsoy resort, about 2 hour's drive from Tashkent. Amirsoy is new, having only been running for 2 or 3 seasons. It's small, but has great sidecountry access with nice looking powder easily accessible from the resort. They have a brand new high speed quad chair and then a gondola and we are staying in their 5-star chalets with ski in, ski out access. We are close (only 15-minutes drive) from two other areas; Chimgan and Beldersay, both with great sidecountry access (although the amenities there will be much more basic). I'm hearing that in the near future, all 3 resorts will be connected. So, 3 ski areas within close proximity, great sidecountry access and good snow, with a local guide to help us access it all. Should be a good time I hope.

The final trip will be to the Republic of Georgia, from the 8th of March to the 7th of April, after a week bach home. I have 2 sessions in Gudauri (still got some room for a few more people, if anyone is interested) and we'll start with a little exploration for a few days, to the ski area of Bakuriani in the lower Caucasus. That will be a little roll of the dice as it looks like conditions can be variable, but terrina looks good and there's not many people looking to ski powder. It could go either way for us but it looks like a fun adventure. Nothing ventured nothing gained! At least it's super cheap there, we have our own two-bedroom stand-alone house, next to the chairlift, for only $260 for 4 nights. Pretty crazy! Lift tickets are only $12 a day and they have a lot of new, high-speed lifts. We'll have 3 full days of skiing. We don't have a guide booked currently, so we might just have to figure it out ourselves, which we've done many times in the past, so nothing new there.

Then the work proper starts with two sessions in Gudauri, with the first session on the 14th to the 25th March and then the second session is from the 27th March to the 7th April. Again we are working with experienced local guides and have nice, ski in ski out accommodation. I'm excited to get to know Gudauri a lot better; the first time there in 2019 we only had 4 ski days before we had to head north to Mestia, so I only got a taste of how good it can be (and it can be VERY good). I should know Gudauri very well by the end of the two sessions. Hopefully it will make up for our last trip in 2020 at the start of the Pandemic where we had to turn around halfway on our way there..... then cue 18 months of the Pandemic..... uuugh.

Currently all of these countries have open borders and flights are running. I will be booking some of the flights this weekend. North Macedonia has no restrictions for fully-vaccinated visitors. For Uzbekistan, we'll have to take a PCR test 72-hours or less, prior to departure and Georgia has no restrictions for fully-vaccinated travelers. Those are the current restrictions, if Delta continues to subside, then maybe there will be even less restrictions. We'll see. Either way, the borders are open, flights are running and we are going. Can't wait to be traveling again and kickstarting the business. It's been too long. Fingers crossed everything keeps moving in the right direction. I'll follow up with some more detail about each destination, with some photos and video's so you can see what it's like in each destination.

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Best of luck Matt! I always enjoy the reports, and I hope things go great for you and your clients.

Thanks David, I appreciate that greatly. Thank you so much. I really enjoy writing these reports, it's a great way to collate and store my memories. I'm optimistic that this is finally going to be the season to get out and about again. Hopefully I can inspire others to get off the beaten path and explore some new places. I can't wait to explore some new places myself this winter, I really enjoy taking these adventures. All the best mate!
Kind regards,
Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Here's a little look at the terrain and scenery in North Macedonia. North Macedonia has untapped potential for freeriding and cat skiing. Unlike other parts of Europe that can overcrowded and where the competition for untouched powder is fierce, the freeride community of North Macedonia is very small and there are many mountains and peaks with the right terrain for snowcat skiing. Untouched lines are in abundance and the cat ski tenure is about 80km2.

There is a great range of terrain in the Shar mountains and you can explore wide open faces to narrow couloirs and natural half-pipes with something for all levels of skier and boarder. On a day with good visibility and snow stability there are no restrictions on where you can go. Basically, you can ride everywhere where the ski guides will find good snow and you can do long lines from top to bottom ranging from 500 to 850 vertical meters (1,640ft – 2,788ft) per line.

All aspects can be skied up high and the altitude of the alpine zone is from 2,600m to 1,700m (8,530ft – 5,577ft). If you are keen, you can use touring gear to hike up higher and reach even longer lines. There are even lines that have never been skied or ridden before and you could claim a first descent! You will need to hike up to 250m vertical (820ft) to gain access to these lines that have not been ridden before.

If the weather is bad and visibility low, then groups can stay down lower and enjoy amazing forest skiing where the powder stays protected from the wind, and the trees are used as tool for orientation in the fog. Most of the lower tree runs are north-facing and at an altitude of 2,200m to 1,700m (7,217ft – 5,577ft). The highest point locally is Mt. Tito at 2,748m or 9,015ft.

44.JPG 53.JPG 57.JPG 58.JPG 61.JPG

Attachments

• 43.JPG
    43.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 45.JPG
    12.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 47.JPG
    12.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 48.JPG
    13.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 52.JPG
    14.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 56.JPG
    16.2 MB · Views: 0
TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
A little look at some of the cat ski terrain in Popova Sapka.....

3 months today, we'll be in Macedonia, hopefully riding pow. Can't wait! I bought my flights a few days ago..... Unfortunately they had gone up a bit, but paid $1,030 with United, Denver to Skopje return....

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Can’t wait for the trip reports!
Me neither mate! It's been almost 2 years since the last ones, Hokkaido and Tohoku in Jan/Feb 2020. That was a tough trip as my back was out and I could only ski sporadic days. Then there was the aborted trip to Georgia in March 2020 when we made it as far as Munich and then had to turn around. I've missed the travel, income and writing. I hope this is the season! Cheers Jenny.
Kind regards,
Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Would love this!
Japan is the dream for my wife and I though. That will have to come first.

cant wait to read about your trip!

Japan is awesome! That's normally where I would be in January/early February for the best snow. I'm heading back in 2023 to Hokkaido, Tohoku and Myoko area. I have room for a couple more if you are interested.... I think the Japan border should definitely be open by then.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Here's a little look at the inbounds skiing at the Popova Sapka ski area. It looks pretty good..... we might have a couple of half days skiing inbounds at the start and end of each trip. Could be fun.

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
We'll be spending a bit of time in the capital city Skopje. Here's a quick video that shows some of the highlights of Skopje.....

- Matt

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Japan is awesome! That's normally where I would be in January/early February for the best snow. I'm heading back in 2023 to Hokkaido, Tohoku and Myoko area. I have room for a couple more if you are interested.... I think the Japan border should definitely be open by then.
Hmmmm. i have no idea what the cost for two would be on a trip like this lol. I would absolutely love to go, everything depends on cost lol

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
So that's a decent look at North Macedonia, Popova Sapka and Skopje, let's move on to Uzbekistan, the second trip. My wife (she's coming on this trip which I am stoked about!) and I just booked our flights to Tashkent, what a journey that was! Probably the most time-consuming search for tickets since China 2017 and our trip to Aletai..... Uugh! Anyway, I ended up booking with Turkish for just over $2k which is super-expensive for a basic economy ticket. Our route takes us from Denver/Washington DC/Istanbul/Tashkent with a total travel time of about 24 hours. We leave on the afternoon of 10th February from Denver (2:10pm) and arrive in Tashkent at 02:00am on the 12th.

We looked at the Uzbekistan Airways flight from JFK to Tashkent direct (12 hours, non-stop, $1,200 per person economy) which would have been perfect, but the website wouldn't accept our credit card after multiple attempts and we had to abort. Also United/Lufthansa/Astana had a flight from Denver/Frankfurt/Almaty/Tashkent at around $1,300 and that would have been an option, but the 11 hours in Almaty and a lack of information about being able to transfer through Almaty with it's COVID restrictions, took that one out of the equation.....

Anyway, all booked in and now time to focus on the trip. This is a 12-day trip with a couple of extra days for my wife and I to explore Samarkand (more on that in a minute) and Tashkent. We have 9 night's in the brand new ski area of Amirsoy and then we have access to 2 other ski areas within about 20 minutes drive. They are Chimgan and Beldersay. All of the resorts are pretty basic, but feature good access to the sidecountry from the lifts and not many people there to compete with for fresh tracks. We have a local guide working with us to help us find all that untouched pow. Hopefully we find some.

We have nice accommodations in Amirsoy, staying at the 5-star Le Chalet complex next to their high-speed quad chair. We'll have 3, 2-bedroom chalets between the 8 of us who are going. We'll finish the trip with 2 nights back in Tashkent and a full-day of sightseeing. Here's a little more detail about the trip.....

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January