• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Well this is something new.
Nubs Nob is trying an electronic quota system in its lodge.
I had thought the lodge would be closed but things have changed.
Go to episode 5 of the video series on Nub's Covid strategy.
Nubs Nob Covid FAQs
I asked if they are going to enforce it.
They plan to have greeters (bouncers) to control things.
Since I could write the book "Know your Local Rednecks", I'm expecting that to be tested.
Who would be brave enough to stand between a pack of teenage girls and the mirrors in the restrooms?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
My family is most definitely considering these same things. It's most applicable to my wife who like others have mentioned, often calls it early and spends time in the lodge.

We're indy pass holders this year and are still planning on giving it a go. We'll see how it works.

Local place in Central Iowa is hoping to open in the first 10 days of December.

Same here. Looks like we're going to pull the trigger on the Indy pass tomorrow and hope for the best. If nothing else we'll get a partial refund should the season fully go to shit.

The hope is to get up to Lutsen on Spring Break (March 15-19) which basically pays for the pass itself, then try and get some days at troll and a few other local places, then do some night skiing at Welch and Wild.

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Well be at Lutsen for part of the same time. Luckily, that is the one place that we have accommodations very near the mountain. Hopefully that alleviates the issue some!

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well this is something new.
Nubs Nob is trying an electronic quota system in its lodge.
I had thought the lodge would be closed but things have changed.
Go to episode 5 of the video series on Nub's Covid strategy.
Nubs Nob Covid FAQs
I asked if they are going to enforce it.
They plan to have greeters (bouncers) to control things.
Since I could write the book "Know your Local Rednecks", I'm expecting that to be tested.
Who would be brave enough to stand between a pack of teenage girls and the mirrors in the restrooms?
Interesting. Also interesting that they’re not selling any tickets online or in advance. Kind of opposite of a lot of other places.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting. Also interesting that they’re not selling any tickets online or in advance. Kind of opposite of a lot of other places.
A few things:
1) Nub's does a huge portion of their business via season pass sales. They are by far any away the locals and/or vacation home owners choice in the region.
2) They have outside walk-up ticket windows that where the employee was already behind plexiglass windows inside the building. Lines were never really an issue at the ticket windows and it was already outside.

Their trend has always been to offer affordable season passes that break even in 6-8 days of skiing, and encourage people to move toward those products. Up until last year they had not raised season pass prices in over a decade meanwhile as day tickets, particularly weekend & holiday kept creeping up each year.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, I know the set up. We love Nubs. I didn’t realize most of the business was passes, although I probably should have. Just never really gave it a thought, I guess.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Still debating on the Indy Pass. And on the Chestnut season pass. What's odd is that Crystal, Granite Peak, and Lutsen are all on Indy Pass and they are all partners on Chestnut's season pass but Chestnut isn't on Indy.

I will likely do 2 days at Big Powderhorn and could justify a one day trip or maybe two days / one night at Tyrol Basin. But beyond that I'm stuck. Doubt I'd drive around the lake to Crystal or Caberfae though not impossible.

Doubt I'll be back to Granite Peak this year and no chance I'll be at Lutsen. I think the $199 deal for the indy pass goes up in a week so may hold out that one more resort gets added. Chestnut would be most ideal.

I think at best I'd break even or maybe go ahead on either, will probably just hold off and go where the wind takes me.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Granite opens today
Blackjack and Indianhead are scheduled for Dec 4th
Nordic Mtn, looking for Dec 4th

Have no clue on others. 2020 and most hills websites look like 1900. :(

Weather isn't cooperating, so who know when others will have a good chance to make serious snow. Some hills, like Brule, don't plan on making this year, so it might be a very short season for them.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Still debating on the Indy Pass. And on the Chestnut season pass. What's odd is that Crystal, Granite Peak, and Lutsen are all on Indy Pass and they are all partners on Chestnut's season pass but Chestnut isn't on Indy.

I will likely do 2 days at Big Powderhorn and could justify a one day trip or maybe two days / one night at Tyrol Basin. But beyond that I'm stuck. Doubt I'd drive around the lake to Crystal or Caberfae though not impossible.

Doubt I'll be back to Granite Peak this year and no chance I'll be at Lutsen. I think the $199 deal for the indy pass goes up in a week so may hold out that one more resort gets added. Chestnut would be most ideal.

I think at best I'd break even or maybe go ahead on either, will probably just hold off and go where the wind takes me.

I doubt that any more resorts get added to the Indy Pass at this point. They've already added a ton this season. I mean I really hope they would, but I don't see it happening...

We're looking at 2 days at Lutsen, 2 days at Spirit, 2 days at Granite, 2 days at Troll and maybe a day at Powder Mountain and/or Buck hill.

That would be worth buying the pass for sure.

We've kicked around flying to Bozeman, but it's either the Indy Pass or a Bozeman trip, and we're thinking we'd rather ski a bunch locally than 3 times out west.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question for those who have skied the UP a lot. Is Big Powderhorn fun enough to ski for 2 days in a row, or is it more of a '1 day and you've skied it all' type of place?

Looking at planning a trip with my son where we drive to Granite Peak and ski for a day then drive up to Big Powerhorn. We'd have time enough to ski one of these two places twice on the Indy Pass. I guess we could pay to ski Whitecap or Indianhead as well, but I'd rather use the pass to ski a 2nd day somewhere if it would be fun enough.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Question for those who have skied the UP a lot. Is Big Powderhorn fun enough to ski for 2 days in a row, or is it more of a '1 day and you've skied it all' type of place?

Looking at planning a trip with my son where we drive to Granite Peak and ski for a day then drive up to Big Powerhorn. We'd have time enough to ski one of these two places twice on the Indy Pass. I guess we could pay to ski Whitecap or Indianhead as well, but I'd rather use the pass to ski a 2nd day somewhere if it would be fun enough.

I think so. It's big (wide) so can spend a whole day barely getting around to get familiar with the whole resort then use day two to pick and choose.

Some fun runs feeding down into the double barrel steep drop. Katie's Catwalk is a solid narrow run, vertical drop can be difficult. Some fun/fast blues and some good tree skiing on the west side of hill.

I've always been partial to it compared to Indianhead which has longer runs and extra 100' of vertical, but just don't like the terrain as much as BP.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Beach Bum Now you have me really wanting to try Powerderhorn. Indianhead bores me, I prefer Blackjack.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think so. It's big (wide) so can spend a whole day barely getting around to get familiar with the whole resort then use day two to pick and choose.

Some fun runs feeding down into the double barrel steep drop. Katie's Catwalk is a solid narrow run, vertical drop can be difficult. Some fun/fast blues and some good tree skiing on the west side of hill.

I've always been partial to it compared to Indianhead which has longer runs and extra 100' of vertical, but just don't like the terrain as much as BP.

Solid info. Thanks much. I know the snow will be better up there than at Granite Peak as well, which is what really matters.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
I feel like at many resorts that we drive up to I sit in the back of my SUV with the back latch door up and put boots on behind the truck. Been doing it this way for decades. It's nice when you bring in a bag and do it inside in a heated locker area, especially with kids or for the wife, but that's only an amenity and not a necessity.

As long as there's a place to buy a beer in the afternoon and/or after skiing I'm happy.

This is how my wife and I generally run things on a day trip... keep away from the mess of kids, bags, and spilled food in the lodge and do our booting up in the car almost always. Our usual MO is that we pack our own lunch, and stop somewhere for a beer and dinner near the hill as we're leaving. Warm days we'll eat lunch at the car, colder days we'll eat it inside and and buy some soup or coffee to have something warmer... if lodges stay closed, I don't think it will deter us from shorter trips or longer trips on warmer days, but I don't think we'll be making the longer drives to Spirit or Granite on colder days knowing that we don't have the option to go inside for a cup of chili.

I totally get that skiing with young kids is a completely different game. Our toddler isn't quite there yet, next year will be her first year. I couldn't imagine taking her out without a lodge to warm up in.

Places like Trollhaugen can be a total PITA to get to your car and now they want you to do that with your ski boots on? I think lots of families will wait and ski later this year once things reopen somewhat.

Totally agree, Trollhaugen is the one place that comes to mind as being a real pain to boot up at the car. The metal stairs to get down to the hill are awful in boots while carrying skis, and I feel like significant parts of their parking lot just don't drain properly and there's almost always a lot ice or mud to walk across, depending on the temperature.

--

We ended up getting the Indy+ pass this year, so that we would have the option to ski Lutsen and Granite on weekends. We figured that with their partial credit program if you don't use it this year, worse case we really wouldn't be out a whole lot of money. We did one day at Troll last week of October, just to say we had skied in October since neither of us had done it before, but otherwise we've been waiting until places get more runs opened up.

We will see, if lodges are closed through peak season, maybe there will be issues, but I'm betting on this being a really big season. If any of the massive increase in interest and participation in camping, hiking, canoeing, biking, etc. that happened this year carries over, it's going to be pretty busy. A friend of ours is a maintenance supervisor for Three Rivers Park District (Hennepin County parks), and they had a tent sale for last year's Nordic rental equipment, with pre-registration required. The entire registration system was completely booked within 20 mins of registration opening. Seems pretty wild to me to have that level of interest in a park district sale of used Nordic equipment. I wonder if anyone has any data or anecdotes on season pass sales or equipment/tune-up sales at ski shops this fall that could give us a preview of the level of interest this year?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bought our Indy passes last night. Game on.

Wife wants to get out to Troll asap for one of our days. She knows WI still has indoor access to boot up and buy some warm food while skiing :roflmao:

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you live in Minneapolis you pretty much have what I'd say is the best location in the country to own the Indy Pass. Certainly the Midwest.

Lutsen, Granite Peak, Big Powderhorn, Tyrol, and I think Spirit if that's on there. All within about 4 hours.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny as I never looked at the Indy pass. For me I can forgo it and not be out a lot unless I make some time for travel ... but I guess too, paying regular price would at least go to the hill.

It's very tempting as the analogous is I wouldn't be out much if more so hitting Chestnut/Sundown and not others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor