• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Washington Commanders football team

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
There are some DC based folks on this thread who are football fans. @Jim Kenney for one. The best news in quite a while has come your way. Daniel Snyder is going to sell the team. Will new ownership restore glory to this once very proud franchise? I think it is very possible. I think people underestimate the importance of good ownership to sports franchises overall success.

An eventual new stadium with a better location and new ownership good be just what this team needs to get back to their proud heritage. Who knows, maybe new ownership can change the team name to something else as well.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was around for the glory years of the first Joe Gibbs tenure at Washington back in the '80s and '90s, four Superbowls with three wins in the span of nine years! I knew it was good and savored every minute of it. Once back then a buddy and I serenaded Gibbs with the team fight song from our boat when we saw him fishing on the same lake in Virginia.

But now for the last two decades I've lived under a curse: rooting for a team mismanaged by a terrible owner who was more than ten years younger than me. The prospects for significant improvement of the on-field product during my lifetime seemed poor. Then came the toxic workplace harassment claims. Yuck, what a creep. I, like many Redskins/Commanders fans, sincerely hope that Dan Snyder will find a buyer for his team, hopefully good people. Almost anyone/group would be better than the current situation. However, I like the current coach Ron Rivera. He seems like an honorable guy. He hasn't exactly turned our record around, but I'd be ok if he survives a change in ownership and gets a few more years to show what he can do under a different owner.

I always looked at the Steelers as a model of good, consistent ownership. They are a small market franchise that consistently outperforms almost all the teams in the league.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Doug Williams was fun to watch play. Hogs (and Hogettes) were hilarious in the stands.

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I was never a huge Washington fan but l sure enjoyed the Dallas/Washington rivalry during those glory years. I am sure there will be a lot of interest in buying the team. NFL teams don't come on the market often and they have proven to be incredible investments. Add the fact this is one of the bigger NFL markets with a good heritage and I imagine this will generate strong interest.

I don't mind the new Commanders name but I was surprised they couldn't come up with something better than that.

I agree @Jim Kenney that Ron Rivera deserves another chance with new ownership. He's done decently with what he's had to work with.

Above all else I'm super glad Dan Snyder is leaving the NFL.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Never heard of this team.

Jk, I haven't really kept up with Washington since the Sean Taylor days :(. From what I can tell, definitely seems like a change in ownership could help the team quite a bit. But is Rivera the man to lead the team?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have to admit I never expected Jalen Hurts to surge to this level. I thought he was going to stink in the NFL. The Eagles are a huge surprise this year.
I'm having lots of fun reminding the fellow Sooner fans that many of them were screaming for Hurts to be benched and Rattler be given the offense. I like reminding them how ridiculous that was then and still is now.

Hurts is 100% solid all around dude. Glad I got to watch him play for OU.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Niners fan here and lived in DC for 20 yrs up until 2 yrs ago. During my entire time there I watched Snyder run them into the ground and prove time and time again what an awful guy and owner he is. So many long-time fans just gave up on the team. The entire house needs to be cleaned. Too bad for you DC fans that Ted Leonsis (owner of Caps, Wizards and Mystics) is the leading contender to buy the Nationals. He always leads a great ownership team and had he not been in hot pursuit of the Nats would've been a great owner of the WFT (I prefer that name). Good luck to you in getting ride of the low-life that is Snyder. Glad he never got a title.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
NICE WIN OVER THE EAGLES!
What do you mean "over the Eagles"? Maybe over some guys playing in Eagles uniforms but those were not the Eagles playing, that was some of the weakest defense I have seen all season. LOL. Either way congrats, I don't think any expected an undefeated season.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any fan of underdogs would have a hard time not cheering for Taylor Heinicke.
Noun. scrapper (plural scrappers) A person who fights doggedly, who exhibits indomitable will.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great win by the Washington Commies.

Snyder needs to sell. Support is crumbling around him.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Go Commies!!!! They pulled it off. 72 Dolphins have their champagne toast once again. Now...are the Vikings really any good? The Bills/Vikes game has to be the craziest game of the year so far...maybe followed by Panthers/Falcons from a few weeks ago.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Rare DC area native here (Bethesda) - parents from both sides (SE and Chevy Chase <- pretty different places). Back n the days when you were born and name placed on the season ticket waiting list. Redskins ceased for me when Jack Kent Cooke died and the foundation sold them. String of face plants since, but still like to see them do well. Book found in our move. #ilikesonny

“Hail to the ……whatever now”
F3B7084B-09FE-4077-852B-A9BA623F8F3F.jpeg

Last edited:

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Until this year, the Washinton Commanders haven't been good since the days of the Hogs when they were anchored by two guys from the University of Pittsburgh. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online