• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waxing on the snow

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Why?
What’s in Phantom?

What’s in FTX? Oh wait, nothing.
Hey.... I'm a Vermonter now! I demand honesty as a consumer and support w/ $$$ companies who are up front and open about their products. Zardoz tells us whats in their product (This patent protected, 100% pure liquid fluoro formula, unlocks maximum performance from fluoropolymer technology)... not saying that's safe but at least I know they are making an attempt to keep the consumer informed.

Ha ha ... okay to the locals I'm still a "FlatLander" but I can pretend and wear my "Green" Poser badge w/ pride like Russ who's from NJ! :ogbiggrin:...yeah..... I compost everything mixed w/ organic cow manure!... Doesn't everyone??? Mix in a little rock phosphate, green sand and chicken manure and we've got a REAL VT dirt party! LMAO

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
so anyone skied with Gigaglide yet?

Strictly speaking, yes. In some ways, no. I am still figuring Gigaglide Pro out.

I really like the dispenser sponge and valve.

It will not go onto a base that has been prepped with anything fluoro. Don't even bother.

I tried to use it as a wax of the day on a base that was freshly ground and prepped with Wintersteiger SLIK. It went on and I skied it. The skis felt pretty much like any other freshly ground base in spring conditions: slow at lift maze speeds, grabby when crossing wet or sunny patches. All probably due to fresh grind, but Gigaglide Pro is not a magic bullet fix for high-moisture snow.

I tried to use it as a replenishment for well-run-in bases originally waxed with CH7 ~5 ski days ago and bronze brushed. It went on fine. But I will never again do that on a high-humidity day: the bases were grabby on the flat, completely unskateable. They were skiable on slope and got significantly faster after ~2000 vertical feet. Maybe they needed after-treatment polishing?

The next set of trials will be on XC skis as the only treatment after base cleaning, in -5C to 5C conditions.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
So I applied some the other day.
Leaving for Swiss tomorrow morning. Monday is snow storm forecast so hopefully I can still try it on Monday...

Appears I found one of the few places in france with plenty snow left haha

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
I skied 6 days on single application of GigaGlide.
Variety of conditions from too much pow to ultragroomed morning slopes.

I probably should have re-applied after 4 or 5 days but I couldn't be bothered.
Day 6 still seemed fine but I somehow think I was less "glidey" than day 2, hard to be sure thou (it could be I was getting more used to glide/speed, who knows).

Really easy to apply and really happy with it.
If you are a die-hard waxer it probably isn't as good, but for all normal people this will do just nice.

I have not tried just waxing in the morning/at the bottom and ski it straight away, coming to think of it I should have tried that as well.
ah well, next time

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied 6 days on single application of GigaGlide.
Variety of conditions from too much pow to ultragroomed morning slopes.

I probably should have re-applied after 4 or 5 days but I couldn't be bothered.
Day 6 still seemed fine but I somehow think I was less "glidey" than day 2, hard to be sure thou (it could be I was getting more used to glide/speed, who knows).

Really easy to apply and really happy with it.
If you are a die-hard waxer it probably isn't as good, but for all normal people this will do just nice.

I have not tried just waxing in the morning/at the bottom and ski it straight away, coming to think of it I should have tried that as well.
ah well, next time
No hard pack?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
@James Have you done any testing of these paste waxes? If so, what say you.
No, none.
I would like to try that Dominator stuff.
Last paste wax I used was Swix F4

4AEB60CD-92A7-4682-B824-960B1EB30249.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh and...Vola have some but they are noxious AF and shouldn't be applied ...like anywhere but most especially indoors or near anything heated.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I hope Dominator is far better. F4 was horrible at sub-10F temps and only meh on wet snow.
Yea, that's a "universal" paste, if I am not mistaken. This Dominator paste is the bomb!
The Psyco paste is for 7 F and below!!!

Sponsor

Staff online