• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
James, 90% of the boot buying public DEMANDS to be sold a boot 1+ sizes too big and a last that is no more anatomical than the box the boots shipped in. Having a computer that tells them "model X in size Y" would only prolong the inevitable purchase of a Nordica Cruise 90 in size X + 1.

These days I'm thinking that people are more likely to trust what a computer calculation tells them is the correct boot rather than trust the opinion of a mere human boot fitter.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lol. I don't know how to respond to everybody, but the last page has made me pee my pants almost. I'm doing my homework right now.. Come on here. This forum is better than I anticipated. I just came over from TGR, there from NS. Lots of knowledge here, that's why I felt comfortable with asking about boot issues. I shy away from any boot questions elsewhere. You guys know how personal it is. Philpug is such a great guy, I must say!! Offering all this is such a relief.

I hope I didn't come off as a super jerk. I'm young, and don't know how to deal with frustration as well as you wiser people. I figured out my problems today though, and came out with 2 boots for barely more than the price of one somewhere else. Recreational and race boots. One 2016 Lange ZB, 27.5, being held over the weekend for stretching (minor) and vibram soles/router toe and heel. As well as one 2016 27.5 Rossi Hero WC SI 130, 97mm last, which fit's great out of the box for a 27, very comfortable, but still tiny for my almost 29 foot for mogul skiing. I'm pretty sure the Rossi shell is the same as a 2016 Lange RS 130, just black and red, instead of blue and yellow. The Rossi has a crappier liner than the Langes, but it actually feels warmer, so theres that. Rossi black/white plastic also feels slightly softer in warm temps than Lange blue, but will be a good alternative to ZB's for cold days in WY/MT, or sometimes in Tahoe.

Both boots were 2016 leftovers, and I got lucky with great deals. I had been to this shop before, but never spoken with this specific person. Basically the same as online prices on leftovers. I am going to pay a little extra for fitting though, since the guy in South Lake hooked it up. He's been fitting for over 20 years, and I see what you mean by "finding the right person". Whatever he saved me, I will return in word of mouth advertisement and I will go back there 2 years from now when I need something else.

Speaking of liners, I am definitely going to save over the summer, and get two liners next year. One to take up a little space in 28.5, and one for making my 27.5s feel even more "custom". Been looking at BD liners, Zipfit, and Nordica. I might be able to get a deal from Surefoot too, since my brother works for a local Tahoe Magazine that does business with Surefoot. I just need the liner, not the full Surefoot experience. Haha. Hey, they try to make a hard process easier, I give them respect. As other's have said, some sure foots are actually quite good. Some are also wonkier.. So far, Olympic Bootfitters in Squaw for zip fit, and Elite Feet in Squaw for Nordica liners, are my main choices. I don't think the place I bought these boots today, carries what I need for liners. I need to get some more time in the shells before I can understand what I need from another liner.

Someone spoke of the ramp angle in a smaller boot. I am used to 27.5. I think that might be another issue. I get into some 28.5s, and the cuff height is higher, and overall I feel like I'm going to break my leg versus bend the boot. Like I don't have enough leverage over a 28.5 boot either, when I can manhandle the 27.5 boots in tight spots. I just like the feel of 27.5, and how it matches up with my lower leg movements in difficult terrain/conditions. I just feel "one with the boot", there is no middle man called space and time in 27.5.. I will be careful on my center mounted skis, not to over-drive them though. Which is why I like Lange/Rossi. That upright stance feels better for modern skis with slightly less traditional mount points. And that upright stance also works very well with 190cm or more skis, with 10cm or further back from center mounts. I can drive them to infinity and beyond with the Lange angles. Every mm of movement forward is translated to energy to the skis, whereas some more aggressively leaned boots feel like they only work in a specific "zone"..

Chuck Norris, you don't pick plugs, Plugs pick you! That's great. That describes exactly the process I've had trying to get someone to fit them to me, as a non-pro, non-racer. I think it will be worth the time and frustration.

Thanks.
I can relate to a lot of what you've described: lots of it are similar or parallel to my own experiences. For me lately it's been the 26.5 size Lange RS 130 LV (from my own experience and more intuitive bootfitters) versus the 27.5 in the Lange or some other similar boot, like the Nordica Dobermanns, either EDT or GP (from "by the numbers" bootfitters). The part about "break my leg versus bend the boot" describes pretty well much of what I've experienced too, and with different boots over the years, going back to the sixties. When the leverage over the boot and in the boot is right, then I feel like I can "bend the boot," as you wrote; and actually use my feel through the boot connecting with the skis, as opposed to a stiffer lack of leverage, where I'm having to ski a bit with my leg from the upper cuff, rather than ski with my whole foot and ankles at play also, with really better, more complete leverage and more subtle control.

I just keep hoping I too can work my way through to good boot solutions, whatever the obstacles and challenges might be. And if the boots get solved, then.....

Zipfits and or Boot Doctors - that's next for me. (I'm too old to go with the plug boot option any longer.)

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@BeetleJuice,

You date skis, you marry boots.

Here’s my 2 cents on getting new boots.

1. Find a boot fitter that you trust. (Personal knowledge, friend’s recommendation, internet ideas, whatever.) This is key, you have to have a good professional relationship with your boot fitter.

2. Set up an appointment. Leave plenty of time for this. I’ve spent 4 hours going through a fitting; footbeds, boots, tweaking.

3. Tell him about your skiing self.
  • What type of skier you are.
  • How long you have been skiing.
  • Medical issues. Are you diabetic? (I am and I request a comfort fit instead of performance fit because of it.) Do you have foot, knee or hip issues? Anything that affects use of your legs or stance.
  • Problems you’ve had with other boots. Heck bring in your old boots to show him.
  • If you’ve had boots you really liked in the past, tell him. It will help him determine what is the best boot for you.
4. Then tell him to fit you. Don’t tell him what size or brand you want. He’s the professional and knows the business. He should fit you in the boot that fits and is most appropriate for you. I’ve gotten the best fits doing it this way.

5. Be ready to spend at least 10-15 hours in the boots breaking then in and finding hot spots. I wear my boots around the hose with yack tracks on during this period. Then I go back for the minor adjustments that may be needed.

Remember, you may not get the boots you "want," but you will probably get the boots you need.

Sponsor