• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is the one thing that will cut your ski day short?

#1 thing that cuts your ski day short

• Poor visibility

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Boot issues

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Forgot a critical piece of gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snow surface conditions, - too icy, too sticky, too rocky

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Broken or faulty equipment (tune, binding issues, broken pole, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too crowded...get off my snow!

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • Just not feeling it, meh?

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Ski accident (you or a companion)

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Weather (too windy, too warm, too wet/rainy [blasphemy]too much snow[blasphemy], lightning)

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Meetings/work/family obligation

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While skiing at Snowbasin with @Philpug and @SpikeDog last week, the visibility was horrible up top, then it was nicer about half way down to the base.
Bad visibilty, seems to affect me more and more as I age. I only took a handful of runs and could have skied at least one more before we needed to leave but the poor visibility was just too much. I figured, I have a long season ahead of me and don't need to get hurt because I can't see.
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 11.01.47 AM.png

What is the one thing that cuts your ski day short more than anything else?

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday was like pea soup at Sunday River too! Luckily the conditions were great and it wasn’t crowded, so the skiing wasn’t scary in it and there were definitely areas where it was better at different elevations.

I think the things that cuts my day short more than others are obligations off mountain and a few times where I skied in the rain with cold wet hands. I now have rubber gloves for those days which should hopefully alleviate that one some. If it is bonkers crowded that can also turn me off and make me too anxious about safety to have fun.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good catch on the rain. I added to the weather option.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I ski weekdays only, no holidays, so I don't have to deal with crowds too often, so I voted for weather. Around these parts (coastal PNW) it can get miserable. I must be a wuss, because I can think of a number of things I'd rather do than ski in the rain.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This poll is clearly flawed as there may be more than one answer. But let’s just say if the visibility drops to below 20cm, my right boot broke, I found out that I forgot my left ski at home and it started to rain, that’s it for me, I quit.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But let’s just say if the visibility drops to below 20cm, my right boot broke, I found out that I forgot my left ski at home and it started to rain, that’s it for me, I quit.

:nono::duck:

Now, if it started to rain, and then it dropped to -15 and then you also tore your remaining knee and there was a cute ski patroller flirting with you, and you had a wrinkle in your sock, yeh, OK.

Last edited:

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
There comes a point in each ski day, usually around 2:00 or so, that my legs whisper into my ear, "Dude, that was your last run, time to bag it."

A couple times last winter, I bailed around noon, due to really flat light. There were textures in the frozen surface that I couldn't see that kept grabbing at my skis, After a fall and several awkward recoveries, I decided to hang it up. During brief periods where you could see the surface, it was possible to compensate for the weird surface, but when it's all flat, that's another thing. Even after buying some goggles with a lens for flat light, the ground was still a formless, gray void.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Missed three days of skiing last week as my foot was too swollen to get my boot on. Please add swollen feet to list.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
  • Poor visibility ( seeing is overrated )
  • Boot issues ( buck up buttercup and deal with it after hours )
  • Forgot a critical piece of gear ( ski shop at the base - break out the CC )
  • Snow surface conditions, - too icy, too sticky, too rocky ( What you talkin bout Willis? )
  • Broken or faulty equipment (tune, binding issues, broken pole, etc) ( see 3 above )
  • Too crowded...get off my snow! ( Human Slalom course )
  • Just not feeling it, meh? ( What you talkin bout Willis? )
  • Ski accident (you or a companion) ( Depends. Was there an helicopter ambulance involved? )
  • Weather (too windy, too warm, too wet/rainy [blasphemy]too much snow[blasphemy]) ( Willis? )
  • Meetings/work/family obligation ( Need lessons in scheduling )

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:nono::duck:

Now, if it started to rain, and then it dropped to -15 and then you also tore your remaining knee and there was a cute ski patroller flirting with you, and you had a wrinkle in your sock, yeh, OK.

Yeah, I am soft.. :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online