• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What perks did you have as a kid because of your parent's job(s)?

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Parents were teachers.

Every teacher knew and closely watched me in school. Good: Attentive to my educational progress. Bad: Couldn't be bad anywhere.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
That generation doesn't get the credit they deserve, from the three martini lunch to the weekend BBQ's, they knew how to drink and party.
That is the truth, they did know how to drink, and they didn't have the drunk driving laws that we have today.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I grew up on lake front property, so my dad hosted the yearly office party at our house. We got to have all the ice cream, pop, and other goodies we could stuff down our throats while the adults just drank that yucky beer. And the leftovers got to stay at our house!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Just this week our daughter told us Appalachian State is still in her top 3 choices after she finishes her 2nd year at Wake Tech. I'm like :yahoo::crossfingers:
Sounds like she did the smart thing, going to a two year community college before going to a four year institution. I believe more kids and parents should go that route. It also works great for kids that are not sure what they want to do with their life. The kids that are better at the technical stuff than they are at the academic also do better at the two year schools and can do very well with the two year Associate Degree and a lot less student debt.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We lived in the Middle East in the 80’s - both my parents worked there and as part of my dad’s job we got a trip back to Canada annually. We travelled a lot when it wasn’t common, so by the time we moved back home I had seen a lot of the world and spoke some Arabic. By the time I was 13, I would fly home on my own (3 connecting flights, changing terminals in Heathrow, no cel phones) and gained a lot of independence as well as a very different perspective on the world.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Huge bump…for perks of the job/

Watching Sixteen Candles….and knowing that you taught Jake’s kids in elementary school…..both son and daughter were/are great kids…..now adults.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
My dad's company banked with CoreStates back in the 80s and 90s so we always got VIP passes to the US Cycling Championship race in Philly - catered food in a tent on Eakins Oval, CC TV coverage of the event, bus trips out to The Wall, a private grandstand right at the finish line - and one year I got a chance to meet Lance Armstrong back when he was the US champion. It was always the best day.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really, @BC. ?!? That's cool! Is Jake still in the area?
His kids are older now.....out of school/ so I don't know, but I can only assume he is still around/ he "retired" from acting, and was working in the area as a custom woodworker/furniture, etc.

You being a Philly guy.....he went to Temple.....lol.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My dad was the head coach of the ski racing team at Bogus so I learned to race and we got all the hand me down gear.

I got to live in Chile for my freshman year of high school because of my mom's job.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My dad's company banked with CoreStates back in the 80s and 90s so we always got VIP passes to the US Cycling Championship race in Philly - catered food in a tent on Eakins Oval, CC TV coverage of the event, bus trips out to The Wall, a private grandstand right at the finish line - and one year I got a chance to meet Lance Armstrong back when he was the US champion. It was always the best day.
My Mother In law (at the time) was a VP at Corestates at that time so we used to get VIP tickets too, from the second year (Eric Heiden won the first year) to the 5th or so year. A classmate of @Andy Mink and mine, Laura Van Gilder competed a few of the years too. Her family owns Van Gilders up in Pocono Summit.

One of the years when we went to the race, I was still selling Subarus we had one of the US Cycling graphiced Legacy wagon and we drove that down to the race. It was awesome, they were moving barricades for us and were directed to the middle of the Oval.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
My dad was a physician and we never had to wait for an appointment to see anyone. My mom’s family owned businesses that include restaurants and hotels so we ate out/traveled a lot without needing reservations or paying.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Sadly those days seem to be over. Professional courtesy appears to be dead and gone.
I'm happy to say that I haven't had a long wait in a waiting room in a long time. Wait time for the appointments can be long but ok when they are not for urgent needs.

Sponsor