• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Instruction What sport trasitions into golf the best?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I vote for baseball. There are just so many parallels between the golf swing and baseball swing (loading the right side, clearing the hips ahead of the chest and shoulders etc.) that a lot of the same principals directly translate from one to the other.

I got paired with a couple of minor leaguers a few years ago. Both pretty big guys who were decent golfers. Outside of tour pro golfers, I've never in person seen anyone play golf who clearly understood how to create club head speed and power as was apparent with these guys. They both hit the ball an unbelievably long way.
My golf pro uses pitching as an example for "loading up"
Slow back swing and loaded front follow through.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think truly great golf comes from exceptional hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills, which many elite athletes have in a variety of sports. Strength would be a secondary beneficial factor. Steph Curry being poster child for this. And of course, lots of practice specifically at golf for muscle memory.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is an athlete just an athlete and able to do just about everything or is that topic for a different talk show episode?
That’s what I wonder too. Like the guy I’m watching on Youtube, Jerome Ruffin, who wants to become a scratch golfer starting from nothing.. his swing is already out of this world in like 5 months. Granted, he is doing this full time with practice, world class coaching, playing, etc. but still.. I don’t think I’d ever hope to be where he is in the same circumstances and amount of time lol. He played college basketball I believe and seems to have very good hand eye coordination. The distances he hits and his overall swing are just so crazy to me for the amount of time he’s been playing.. obviously he has plenty to learn playing and is still inconsistent as anyone would be playing for such a short time, but I am so jealous of his progress!

SuzSkis

Putting on skis
Skier
I would think that core strength is key, but I don't golf. My mom still golfs at 93 (played 18 yesterday), and is a retired field hockey and softball coach. She swears that 30+ years of batting the ball to her outfielders during practice has given her a great swing. At 93 she doesn't hit it far anymore, but she hits it arrow-straight every dang time. Everyone wants her on their team when they play best ball.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Banging your head off a brick wall repeatedly helps transition to the mental aspects…. :ogbiggrin:

Do you find that having a flask in your bag juuuuuust in case, helps?
That’s what I wonder too. Like the guy I’m watching on Youtube, Jerome Ruffin, who wants to become a scratch golfer starting from nothing.. his swing is already out of this world in like 5 months. Granted, he is doing this full time with practice, world class coaching, playing, etc. but still.. I don’t think I’d ever hope to be where he is in the same circumstances and amount of time lol. He played college basketball I believe and seems to have very good hand eye coordination. The distances he hits and his overall swing are just so crazy to me for the amount of time he’s been playing.. obviously he has plenty to learn playing and is still inconsistent as anyone would be playing for such a short time, but I am so jealous of his progress!

This thread has made me ponder why I didn't ever develop a game when I took up golf in 2006.

Since moving west, I have become more athletic, have taken more ski clinics and have become a better student as an athlete. I'm wondering of that is one (just one) of the many things that has helped me pick up the game quicker this year.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Whack-A-Mole
Yes!!!
Or Whack-a Gopher!
Image 5.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Mini-Golf. Duh

Helps with the mental aspects too. How mad can you get when an 8 year old beats you?
Problem - encourages cheating and rule breaking. Also probably good for some in real golf.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm going to kinda blow up the hockey thing. I'm decent at hockey but suck at golf mostly. I think it's generally athleticism, muscle memory and hand-eye.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hockey has the Marty McSorley thing which is valued. (Enforcer). Not really applicable to golf.
I suppose golf has the club bar thing.

scott43

Skier
There's a decent chance I'd lose a foot... :roflmao:
True story, when we were 9 or 10, we were back in the bush building a tree fort..or continuing to build as other kids before us had started it. One of my buddies decided he was going to be lumberjack kid and stand on the log while he was chopping it. Had to carry him 2 miles out of the bush to the house to get him to the hospital after he split his foot in half. Hard lesson to learn! :ogbiggrin:

scott43

Skier
Hockey has the Marty McSorley thing which is valued. (Enforcer). Not really applicable to golf.
I suppose golf has the club bar thing.
There are some great golfers from the hockey crowd..Jeff O'Neill, Dan Quinn, Grant Fuhr..but I think it's just more down to hand-eye and athleticism. Fuhr was a goalie.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
True story, when we were 9 or 10, we were back in the bush building a tree fort..or continuing to build as other kids before us had started it. One of my buddies decided he was going to be lumberjack kid and stand on the log while he was chopping it. Had to carry him 2 miles out of the bush to the house to get him to the hospital after he split his foot in half. Hard lesson to learn! :ogbiggrin:

Had a similar incident in college when one of my friends tried to 'help' by raising the other end of the log. I forgave him a week later but only because he had a cute lab mate.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No one has addressed the far more important question: why would anyone ever want to transition into playing golf????

Sponsor