• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

what would be next after Salomon Q 115

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
Hello,

I am just wondering which ski I should look for/demo if I need to replace my very much loved Salomon Q 115.
I ski at Tahoe (most of the times) and this is my resort powder skis (which means I use them like 5/6 times per season, at the most)
What would be most similar ski to them?
Thank you,
Oleg

TS
Oleg S

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
I am thinking that maybe
Fischer Ranger 115
Nordica Enforcer 115
or something similar, or am I way out of the line

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe take a look at Moment Wildcat, formerly known as The Bibby. If you're in the Reno area you can make arrangements with Moment to demo a pair. Of course pow is pretty hit and miss so it is a bit tough to time it right.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello,

I am just wondering which ski I should look for/demo if I need to replace my very much loved Salomon Q 115.
I ski at Tahoe (most of the times) and this is my resort powder skis (which means I use them like 5/6 times per season, at the most)
What would be most similar ski to them?
Thank you,
Oleg

How about the Salomon QST 118's?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The QST 118 sounds like a good choice: it's said to be an improvement on the 115 (not sure quite how though).

The Wildcat (formerly called the Bibby Pro), as I understand it, is significantly different than the QST 115: more charge, better in crud, more playful and versatile also.
The Qst 118 is also different than the Wildcat: more float, but less good in crud and at speed, from what I can tell
(I ski both the Bibby Pro 184 & 191, and recommend them, though they are different-feeling skis, from one another, and from the QST 115.)

One thing the Bibby and the QST would have in common is they are both fairly forgiving skis, and don't get hung up easily - even though they are strong skis.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am thinking that maybe
Fischer Ranger 115
Nordica Enforcer 115
or something similar, or am I way out of the line

I love my Ranger 115s. They ski like a regular ski, only wider and floatier. Pretty carvy feel. Similarly to you, I only get on them 6 or so times a year, so I don't want to have to make many adjustments.

If the Enforcer 115s were available to me at the time, I might have grabbed them instead.

So, IMO, you're on the right track!

Previous pow skis that I've owned and rejected were Line 115s (not enough early rise), Nordica Patrons (too much tail rocker) and K2 Annex 118s (amazing pow ski, but too different from my regular boards).

TS
Oleg S

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
what I had read on Blister about Salomon QST 118, it is quite different than Q 115, it is more like or closer to Rocker 2 122 than to Q 115, which mean softer, better in powder, worst in crust or 3D and less as charger. I had never ski QST 118 before and all what I know is from reviews (so I could be very wrong).
Wondering if someone tried them in real life and also tried Q 115.
I ski in 188 (but it skis short, feels like 180+ ski), so if I would consider Moment Bibby, I guess I should try in 184 and not 190 (could be too much ski for me)
Ranger has the best reviews in many magazines (powder), but I haven't seen a single person driving Rangers in Tahoe (I mean when I stand in lift lines)

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another possibility: Blizzard Rustler 11. Nice ski. Good float, play, and crud handling, 180, 188, 192(?). (All three nice when I tried 'em.)

Your comparison of the 115 and 118 is what I've heard too. (Only demoed the 115 - liked it in crud, not its float.)

The Wildcat is supposed to be lighter than the Bibby Pros, so maybe a bit different feeling and capabilities also, dunno.

With the Bibbys, both are fun. But unless you are large, 184. Your size and strength may be a factor: if a bigger guy, then you might like both, and the longer wouldn't be even slightly too much.

For myself, a lighter weight, older guy, if I had to choose just one, I'd choose the 184, waist 116. It's just better for my size, and it still charges and nails crud, when asked to, while being also more playful. Both like variations on fall line skiing.

I don't regret having the 191 also: it's enough different, and it's got more float and fore-aft stability, while still being forgiving and playful, just as the Blister folks said.

(I skied the 191s, waist 118, in powder both today, Friday, and this past Monday. Fun: more stable, very relaxing that way, but slightly big - not sure if too big. Am playing with the mount position on it, with Schizo bindings - so far seem to like +.5 cm best, but 0 and +1 cm were nice too, with +1 being more playful.)

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Moment Wildcat I agree is the next step in keeping the playful feel you had in the Q 115 but hugely improving stability, carving performance and are amazing in chopped up snow. They are the reference standard in the “Playful Charger” powder skis. Agree with the 184cm size unless you often see more open areas as the 184cm is plenty stable.

Think my second pick for this width would be the Black Crows Anima which is another playful ski that can still charge but isn’t quite as good as the Wildcat at speed or in chop. Still leagues better than the Q 115 or 118 when it’s not untracked powder.

Rustler 11 in 188cm with the mount moved a cm or two forward would be my third pick in this size. Still fun and playful with good stability. As easy to ski as the Salomon but again way better when when things get chopped or the speed increases.

The “use it 5 times a year” of the Q 115 might change too with more versitle skis like these as they can be lots of fun even when you don’t have lots of new snow or they can be easier to ski for longer in the day when you do get snow. Having a ski that goes through tracked up snow with ease is a game changer for not only the afternoon of powder days but even soft groomer days. They would be fun and playful in powder like the Q 115 but are leagues better when things get tracked out.

The ease in which my 184cm Bibby’s go through East Coast crud is unreal and I’ve had mine out about 5 times already this year in the East as they are so fun through it.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Recently I opted for the playful but still stable Black Crows Nocta 185cm (122mm wide). As any big ski you have to be somewhat on it but it works well on edge and/or flat. Great flex pattern, not too stiff and even.

Sponsor

Staff online