• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When Spaceballs isn't even ironic anymore.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

1709603778529.png

Just hope he shakes that neck gaiter out...

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I mean.. it's a numbers game.

Yes, I know. I also know that the helmet in the top pic probably gives a better field of view forward than previous ridonculous helmetage, the below specimen not least:

1709604200024.png

Wait till the Freds start showing up with those at the cafe on your favourite route...

But the design in the OP really points up DR's words to Tsunoda at the weekend.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The more I learn about aero, the less I actually know. At least Spesh have learned a thing or three

Except for "Never design to a preconceived shape" that is.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well it's funny, we had a pretty good understanding of aerodynamics after the war but it took how many years for Dan Gurney to come up with the Gurney flap?? Not to mention the nearly deadly lift generated by the 917L. Amateurs having a go. Just hire the right person for a few days!

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Talking of amateurs having a go, how do you feel about the front wheel to downtube spacing?

Is it actually aero to minimise that gap?

scott43

Skier
Talking of amateurs having a go, how do you feel about the front wheel to downtube spacing?

Is it actually aero to minimise that gap?
No idea. I'm going to guess yes but... The wheel is already punching the hole but is there drag induced when the air flows break around the wheel and then is split again by the downtube? Is an airfoil downtube more useful? Never looked at the science have to confess.

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Never logged at the science have to confess.

Don't forget the Stokes condition - actual boundary layer is at the same velocity as the surface. So, in the frame's reference frame :) we have an airstream with both forwards and rotary momentum that encounters the downtube.

If the aero gain from that shadow is minimal, can we *please* get longer front center and hopefully avoid Chloe Dygert type tank slappers?

scott43

Skier
Not to mention toe overlap. I suppose the whole geometry thing is also there. However nothing saying you couldn't fair it in with non structural or even structural material.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't forget the Stokes condition - actual boundary layer is at the same velocity as the surface. So, in the frame's reference frame :) we have an airstream with both forwards and rotary momentum that encounters the downtube.

It's more important to consider whether or not the Reynolds Number is above or below the laminar/turbulent transition zone of 2,100.

Kidding. Most of that stuff has (sadly) fallen out of my brain.

Sponsor

Staff online