• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Hi everyone. Looking for some advice about selecting correct size of the zipfit liners.
I have foot 29cm and boots sizes 27 and 28 (-2, -1).
When placing my foot inside 27 boots and measuring space I can hardly place 1 finger between shell and ankle.
What size and model of zipfit should I choose?
thanks

ZipFit sizing should be matched to the shell. Many stock liners are "short lasted" in that the toe box of the liner ends well before it gets near the toe of the shell. ZipFit sizing isn't like that. The liner is meant to fit more like a sock, where the neoprene toe box and the wool lining will "hug" your foot. Of course, YMMV and you really need to get your foot, the liner, and the shell to all be happy. :)

savalon

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am in the same length situation with the shell fit , and I use the Grand Prix, but I have a rather skinny foot. I also like a real snug fit. Safest might be the World Cup, You can also add more very easily in the future if needed. I never have removed the material but others have if it too tight.
Would you please specify you foot size and liner size. Thanks

savalon

Skier
ZipFit sizing should be matched to the shell. Many stock liners are "short lasted" in that the toe box of the liner ends well before it gets near the toe of the shell. ZipFit sizing isn't like that. The liner is meant to fit more like a sock, where the neoprene toe box and the wool lining will "hug" your foot. Of course, YMMV and you really need to get your foot, the liner, and the shell to all be happy. :)
Seems like I can go with 28.5 liner size and try them in 27 shell. And if anything goes wrong fallback to 28 shell :D

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Seems like I can go with 28.5 liner size and try them in 27 shell. And if anything goes wrong fallback to 28 shell :D

Do you have any previous experience with ZipFit liners? I ask because a ZipFit works best with a shell that is correctly fit to the skier as a "performance" fit. Don't expect a ZipFit to fill up volume in an oversized shell. This is especially true for the forefoot area. ZipFit liners are nowhere near as thick as most stock liners. So try to use the smallest, tightest shell you're willing to ski in.

savalon

Skier
Do you have any previous experience with ZipFit liners? I ask because a ZipFit works best with a shell that is correctly fit to the skier as a "performance" fit. Don't expect a ZipFit to fill up volume in an oversized shell. This is especially true for the forefoot area. ZipFit liners are nowhere near as thick as most stock liners. So try to use the smallest, tightest shell you're willing to ski in.
I don't have experience with zipfit liners and more over no store to measure them :(
The smallest one is 27 shell for my 29 foot where almost no space left for my foot :D
But I'm not sure that liner size 27 will be ok for my foot because of experience lack for this type of liners :)
So I'm wondering what to do and not to miss :)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I don't have experience with zipfit liners and more over no store to measure them :(
The smallest one is 27 shell for my 29 foot where almost no space left for my foot :D
But I'm not sure that liner size 27 will be ok for my foot because of experience lack for this type of liners :)
So I'm wondering what to do and not to miss :)

I have a size 27 foot and ski in a 25 shell. Your situation is very common among skiers who downsize their shell for increased performance. I suppose a 28 liner would possibly fit into the 27 shell, but it totally depends on how all the components will integrate.

savalon

Skier
I have a size 27 foot and ski in a 25 shell. Your situation is very common among skiers who downsize their shell for increased performance. I suppose a 28 liner would possibly fit into the 27 shell, but it totally depends on how all the components will integrate.
Thank you very much for the tips. Will try.
P.S. I have intuition liners and they don't solve my problem with heel lift in snowboard hard boots

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
ok , now I am confused , why would one put a bigger liner in a smaller shell???
I have a 27.5 foot in a 26.5 shell

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My old zip fits were a 28.5 in a 27.5 shell. I'm not sure why but that's what was recommended at the time. :huh:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Because internal shell length size, although similar across manufacturers, is not standardized. One manufacturer's 26 shell internal length does not necessarily equal another's. So you always must keep in mind that you're "building a system"; it's comprised of your foot, the liner, and the shell. Getting it all to work together correctly may not always require "coloring inside the lines". ;)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Update for the main ZipFit thread: Sven has revised the model line-up for the new season. The Gara and Grand Prix models are now gone, leaving only the World Cup and Freeride (both available with leather or neoprene lining). This actually makes a lot of sense for both ZipFit and customers as the only difference was the amount of OMfit, and that is easily modified. The only two remaining models actually have design differences, not just volume of OMfit changes.

Also, OMfit is now available directly from the zipfit.com site for $10/tube! Of course I had just bought 3 tubes from across the pond last season and now they're available cheaper directly.

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
What's the difference between the Freeride and the Grand Prix? They're the exact same color scheme and appear to be identical in ever respect except for the name. Thoughts?

Bill

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What's the difference between the Freeride and the Grand Prix? They're the exact same color scheme and appear to be identical in ever respect except for the name. Thoughts?

Bill

The Grand Prix is the same design as the Gara and World Cup, but with more OMfit material and higher volume overall. The Freeride has the "softened" rear cuff where the rear plastic support is split in multiple spots (like the Tour model). There may be other differences, but these are the obvious ones. I have only ever owned the Gara and World Cup from the current models (and lots of the older, now irrelevant models)

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
This being the zipfit site, every time I read about someone wanting new boots I want to tell them :
“ Just Get Some Zipfits “

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This being the zipfit site, every time I read about someone wanting new boots I want to tell them :
“ Just Get Some Zipfits “

i haven't skied a stock boot liner since 2006 when I got my first pair of Zips. Once you go Zip you just can't go back.

sullywhacker

Booting up
Skier
Corresponding with Thomas May at Zipfit, he has recommended the World Cup for my flat, low volume feet and my 2020 Atomic Hawx Ultra 120 S. Interestingly, when I go to the only ski shop in my area listed as a Zipfit dealer (nothing stocked but will order), their boot fitter tells me that stock liners for top boots has improved so much in the last 2-3 years that the difference with Zipfit is now marginal. Noodler, seeing as you haven't had a stock liner in play for 15 years, do you think that the gap with a stock liner for a high end boot has closed significantly? Also, given my shop's "disinterest" - what's the degree of difficulty on first time home fitting? Thanks in advance.

Jay S

Skier
Corresponding with Thomas May at Zipfit, he has recommended the World Cup for my flat, low volume feet and my 2020 Atomic Hawx Ultra 120 S. Interestingly, when I go to the only ski shop in my area listed as a Zipfit dealer (nothing stocked but will order), their boot fitter tells me that stock liners for top boots has improved so much in the last 2-3 years that the difference with Zipfit is now marginal. Noodler, seeing as you haven't had a stock liner in play for 15 years, do you think that the gap with a stock liner for a high end boot has closed significantly? Also, given my shop's "disinterest" - what's the degree of difficulty on first time home fitting? Thanks in advance.
Sully, can you tell us what size shells your atomica are and what size liners they recommended.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

I believe that it is absolutely true that the stock liners have improved significantly over the years. However, you cannot escape the fact that almost every stock liner on the planet packs out. Stock liners have a fitting "cycle" they all go through, where you spend the early portion of ownership getting them to the point where they are fitting well and providing good performance and then from that point they only get worse. Eventually they're packed out and most skiers end up looking for new boots. ZipFit liners basically get better with age. They break-in, they don't break down.

Now there are a few race-level stock liners that do use cork instead of foam, but their implementation of the cork isn't quite the same as the OMfit material that Sven invented. A huge advantage of the ZipFit is that the liner is dynamic; the OMfit adapts to your feet/legs every time you wear it. Due to my injuries, this is a critical feature that actually allowed me to get back in ski boots and be able to ski. Head now has a LiquidFit feature, but I'm not sure how adaptable it is day-to-day and whether it provides the same level of performance that you get from OMfit. Once your ski boots are chilled on the mountain, the ZipFit locks down your foot like no other. If you get the version that has the interior leather lining, you get the added benefit of increased friction to hold your feet in place.

So I have a nice collection of stock liners sitting in my garage. Every time I buy a new pair of boots I check out the stock liners, but I always end up back in ZipFits.

Sponsor