• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Nordica Sportmachine 130. And yes, I think so.

There is the chance that if you re-bake your shells while empty, they may return to their original form. I know that my Nordicas do have some "memory" in the plastic and returned to their original shape after I experimented with a shell punch. This is their newer "infra-red" heat moldable plastic.

If you're not concerned about returning the shells to their original shape then I would suggest just going through the fitting instructions I've posted because your liners really aren't broken in yet.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
6 days in my Freeride zip fits. Ankle/heel slop is getting beyond acceptable on my right foot. I never fully cooked them, just kept skiing them to fit my feet. I'll probably put the stock liners back in tomorrow while I wait for the OMfit I ordered last week, should be here Wednesday.

When I ordered the slop was very minimal so I only got 2 tubes. I sure hope that is enough!! I watched all the videos, but I don't think I saw how much capacity the bladders have. 2 tubes make a big difference? A millimeter is a mile!

The only think I can think of regarding your situation is that there is insufficient OMFit in the ankle bladders. So when you first started skiing them, the OMFit had not yet re-positioned itself in the bladders to match your feet. Once it did start migrating around, there was enough space in the bladders for the OMFit to "escape" and left some areas without enough. More OMFit is going to solve your problem. What's important for ZipFit owners to understand is that OMFit does not "pack out". It's not compressible, crushable, or easily destroyed. What I have noticed is that the leather will continue to break-in over time and loses a bit of its "structure". The soles can get wear marks going in/out of the shells (this is before using UHMW tape), and you can accidentally abrade or cut the neoprene sections. So they're not indestructible, but they are certainly not going to die the fairly quick death most foam liners do.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
There is the chance that if you re-bake your shells while empty, they may return to their original form. I know that my Nordicas do have some "memory" in the plastic and returned to their original shape after I experimented with a shell punch. This is their newer "infra-red" heat moldable plastic.

If you're not concerned about returning the shells to their original shape then I would suggest just going through the fitting instructions I've posted because your liners really aren't broken in yet.
How many times do you normally have to cook them to get them broken in?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
How many times do you normally have to cook them to get them broken in?

Depends on how tight the fit is for the "system" (shell+liner+foot). Really tight means more cycles. It took me 5 cycles to get my new Garas into my Nordica GP 140 shells. That's about the most I think I've ever needed. So consider that a worst-case scenario. Usually 3 is more than sufficient. Others may chime in with their experience. Of course, keep in mind that heating is only needed if you can't get the shell closed. I would offer though that if the liner fits initially without any shell closure issues, that more than likely your shell sizing is too large.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Depends on how tight the fit is for the "system" (shell+liner+foot). Really tight means more cycles. It took me 5 cycles to get my new Garas into my Nordica GP 140 shells. That's about the most I think I've ever needed. So consider that a worst-case scenario. Usually 3 is more than sufficient. Others may chime in with their experience. Of course, keep in mind that heating is only needed if you can't get the shell closed. I would offer though that if the liner fits initially without any shell closure issues, that more than likely your shell sizing is too large.
I thought there was no way that I would be able to wear them, until we cooked them in by heating the shell. After that they became very snug but bearable.
So does it make sense to alternate between skiing them and cooking them?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I was able to close the shell, after cooking the liners inside the shell and moving out the upper buckles. I was thinking about skiing a couple of hours in them one day soon, and then try heating the liners for another break-in cycle. Does that make sense?

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It does to me. I put my Zips in the shells, warm up in heated bag, put boots on at home and drink a sixer. I let the boots/liners cool, take a leak (maybe two at your age), mill about some then take the boots off and put in bag. Next step is heating the boots/liners again in bag and then skiing. The taking a leak part is crucial, IMHO.

Jay S

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've had Zips in four different shells. I leave the liners in the boot. I feel the same as you about the PIA of taking liners in and out. You don't have to use the laces. I do now but spent many days skiing without the laces.
Do your zipfits have the leather lining or neoprene lining ?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
im not too worried about the Velcro scuffing up the leather. I’ll either put a piece of duck tape or surgically remove it - it’s only sewn around the edges.

Good idea. I was thinking perhaps I should attach a piece of the other part of the velcro-the soft one, cut from elsewhere but perhaps this would make the spoiler too thick...will think some more what would be best, but spoiler attached to shell seems to be the best way to go.
And I would not constantly worry about losing these, as they are super rare to find aftermarket.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Uhhh, I loosen the laces just like I do when I put on my hunting boots. Do you put your shoes on while laced up?

I meant, with the laces on.
I'd love to be able to do that but for me it proved to be impossible as my insoles are very grippy and my foot gets stuck.
Of course I tried it with the liner in the shell, it was a no go :ogbiggrin:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
It does to me. I put my Zips in the shells, warm up in heated bag, put boots on at home and drink a sixer. I let the boots/liners cool, take a leak (maybe two at your age), mill about some then take the boots off and put in bag. Next step is heating the boots/liners again in bag and then skiing. The taking a leak part is crucial, IMHO.
LMAO

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 126100
I dropped by @Doug Briggs's shop today, and I bought the Corsa model, which was ungodly tight fitting in the Nordica Speedmachine 130 boot shells. The World Cup model would have fit better, but they do not stock them.
I decided to give the Corsa model a shot, and after cooking the liners in and modifying the buckles, my high volume hooves are snugly ensconced.
Getting them in the boot shells, seems like a greater challenge than getting them out, so the Kulkea Thermal Trekker boot bag will earn it's oats.
I can't wait to give them a whirl this week.
YOU SKI IN JEANS! :roflmao:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Hey @Noodler, there is a bit of a contradiction in your instructions.
First you write:
Set oven to 225* (ZipFit recommends 228*) and heat boot shell (buckle-side down) and liner for 10 minutes
Then you write:
I can't emphasize enough the importance of first breaking in the liner to the shell without heating the shell first, only heat the liner initially.
Which is it?
Your first post says to heat both the liner and the shell, take out the liner first, and then put it in the heated shell.
Is that right?
I have already heated the shell and placed the liner into it, so I thought I would try reheating the liners @ 225 and putting them in the cold shells, as you indicate in another post.
Thoughts, oh oracle of Zipfit?
They should hire you to write a set of instructions.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just called Chris at ZipFit and have some liners on order. Two different ones--Corsa and WC Neoprene. He was thinking only the Corsa would work in a plug boot (92 last) but when I explained to him that I STILL have to take up volume in that small of a boot, he thought a WC could also work.

I have no issues with the initial performance of my Intuition Race FX liners, and they are comfortable. What I DO have an issue with is how I was getting slop after 10 days which has just gotten worse. I'm now at hmmm 80 days in them and I've had to put the "size shim" in my shells that came with the boots to take up volume, and added layers of duct tape to the liner in strategic spots to snug things down more. My 98 under foot skis are about impossible to maneuver with boots that my feet are rolling around in. I don't want to curse myself, but I really hate my skinny, hypermobile feet sometimes. We'll see if the Zips are the final puzzle piece to the precision skiing I now have the skills for. I'm tired of fighting with my boots/liners.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The XT3 has the spoiler bolted to the shell via the strap at the top of the boot. It is adjustable to 2 settings.

Edit: Looks like the XT3 140 has a spoiler and the others don't. I have the 140 and just assumed they all came with spoilers.
Thanks for that update...I was wondering if I was losing my mind....

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you're making a wise decision. Just remember that Zips aren't filled with any foam. They use OMFit cork compound which never hardens.

Foam is a four letter word in this thread... ;)
Fair point!!! knew it wasn't foam..I meant "OM Compound"...did I get it right? :):cool:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
6906CD8F-6D91-4720-B6B3-C54E79E5CFC3.jpeg

Cooked according to @Noodler’s recipe

Sponsor

Staff online