• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
How much cork can be added to the tongues? I have the Gara LV in Lange RX LV boots and last week my shop put a full tube in each tongue. The added cork has helped but still feels like the tongue provides no cushion to my (skinny) lower leg.

In the freerides ive added probably close to three in each tongue to help with my skinny leg/ankles.

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
General boot fitting question with zips before I pump it full of cork:
When I’m standing neutral, I have two fingers of room between my shin and the liner at the very top for about a inch or two down. How tight should that be? When I flex forward, I have roughly the same gap, maybe more, behind on my calf. I’m 6’4” 205lbs Cochise 130. I have really skinny legs and ankles.

edit: when I flex forward and push my heel back theres room on top of my ankle. Left foot is my only problem, right foot is pretty awesome.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Doublegreen
I don't think cork is going to solve your issue with a complete top gap especially when you say gap moves to the back calf, meaning you can bang it back and forth. As I mentioned previously, booster strap is probably what you need to try to keep the top liner against your shin and give you top support.
The cork I feel is more when the liner is already against your shin; but there is a contact issue due to shape of your shin or sharp boniness going through to the plastic causing pain
After the boosterstraps are installed, the issue now is more about the gap between the liner and the shell. the booster strap itself can also help fill that, or you may fiddle with the top buckle or need some aftermarket padding to take up the gap

Anyway it's your boot and foot, just my 2 cents.
you can go ahead and try a couple tubes especially to take up the lower ankle gap issue you say you're also having.

Last edited:

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
Perhaps you need an HV Gara. I’m struggling with the same issue on my right foot. Added two tubes to the RT liner. Will be adding more in small increments. Jeff Colt mentioned that I may have been better off with the HV, that I am somewhere in between the two. Jeff offered to replace my LVs with HVs. I have been tweaking the RT and am close to a great fit now. Good luck!

Reactions: BMC

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
I have the HV haha

Oddly with that gap, I’ve never had shin bang with stock liner or the Zips. I’ll definitely take a look at the booster strap, thanks for the advice. Damn skinny legs
Oops, did not catch that. Wondering if people use spoilers with their Zipfits to take up extra volume? If they are ok with the increased forward lean, that is.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Not wanting to dig through 77 pages, anyone here know if the tongues can be repaired or replaced ?
Generally not replaced. Unless on the corsa But what is the problem. Lots of repairs can be made to many liner parts

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They are the Freeride, developed a hole in the tongue at the instep as well as the strap has come loose at the top. New pair inbound for next year but would like to keep these as a spare.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
They are the Freeride, developed a hole in the tongue at the instep as well as the strap has come loose at the top
Have you got a picture or two you can post

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1880347B-20BF-48D7-B521-35992788B1F0.jpeg
53701073-8CEB-49B9-8893-B8ED4E01FC9F.jpeg

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Not a simple repair but when you are finished skiing for the season it would be worth contacting Billy Kaplan( @Cantman on here) at performance pedorthics in Pennsylvania, he is a master at liner repairs and should be able to give you a cost to do the work

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January