• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who's taken a lonnng road trip alone?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I do Wisconsin to Colorado many times a year straight through by myself. Its really not that tough. I fact I just went Milwaukee area to Denver today. 14.5 hours drive time 15.25 total time.
Dang, you must pee same time you're gassing up :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I usually drive for my ski trips. And because I drive, I try to make each trip a 2 week trip. I have had some bad luck when flying - like lost skis, lost luggage, several cancelled flights, etc. In addition, it was not unusual to come down with a cold or flu soon after flying. And renting cars is not a favorite thing to do either. I'm retired so it is easy to drive and control my schedule, take an extra pair of skis, pick up people from the airport etc.
Same here.
We have more control over our drive times, destinations, lodging and what we pack.
We also have the flexibility of staying an extra day if powder happens or creating business opportuinties along the way when passing through ski industry locations.

I did Killington for a day trip from Philly once, does that count? Note: Once.
You funny!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug and I usually opt to drive instead of fly for a variety of reasons.
We have a trip planned to attend and speak at Snowbound in Bostone and (frankly) I'm nervous about this flight, especially just a week before Thanksgiving.

To the OP, I grew up in Michigan and traveled to Colorado many times to ski between 2007 and 2010.
Don't be afraid and tell your daughter that missing this is a mistake.

It's a great opportunity for you to have a great trip and enjoy the travel.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Longest ever was Wichita to Sun Valley, but not alone.

Longest alone was Hailey to Aspen.

Did Wichita to Aspen alone many times. One day out, many times two days back.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Go for it, you’ll love it. Freedom is the open road. I’ve done it quite a few times. Alone through pretty much every state and provinces west of the Mississippi. Put on some podcast on the road, get a small blowup mattress in the back of your SUV or Van. You can sleep anywhere. If it gets too cold or hot, turn the car on and run the AC. Just make sure you don’t stay in sketchy areas.
If I have unlimited vacation days I’ll take road trip over flying every time. Still, flying is more efficient in terms of getting the most out of PTO.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
So I'm thinking about driving alone from Michigan to Colorado between Christmas and the New Year. One of my daughters was on board until I told her that I didn't want to pay for flights, a rental car, skis, etc. Now I may just go by myself. I have an SUV that I can sleep in for a couple nights when going back and forth, and then find a place somewhere in the Loveland/A Basin/Keystone area and enjoy three days of bliss.

Has anyone taken this kind of trip solo? Any SkiTalkers planning to be in that area at the same time?

Jay
Used to make the trip from MI to the desert southwest and back on an annual basis for about 10 years. No time to read through the whole thread now but let me know if there's anything specific you want to know....

Edit, I'm in Muskegon, btw, we should meet up and geek out sometime or something....

Second edit: I did my trips living in my little Nissan pickup truck for +-3 months at a clip, so I have some relevant experience.....

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Same here.
We have more control over our drive times, destinations, lodging and what we pack.
We also have the flexibility of staying an extra day if powder happens or creating business opportuinties along the way when passing through ski industry locations.

You funny!
Phil, you drive more than enough miles during ski season and also during off ski season. So NO, Philly to Killington does not count, not even a little bit.

TS
Jelder

Jelder

Putting on skis
Skier
Used to make the trip from MI to the desert southwest and back on an annual basis for about 10 years. No time to read through the whole thread now but let me know if there's anything specific you want to know....

Edit, I'm in Muskegon, btw, we should meet up and geek out sometime or something....

Second edit: I did my trips living in my little Nissan pickup truck for +-3 months at a clip, so I have some relevant experience.....
My family and I did this trip last year. We had good weather and multiple drivers, which made it way easier because we drove straight through. I'm just trying to decide if I want to do it solo. I'm also trying to find a buddy to go, but my friends aren't as obsessed (i.e. crazy) about skiing as I am!

TS
Jelder

Jelder

Putting on skis
Skier
Diesel Grand Cherokee. Can do the 1066 in one diesel stop but I break it into two for that reason! ;)
I unfortunately will have to stop plenty of times! I love my truck, but it gets horrendous gas mileage. It is one hell of a ski rig though, and now that I think about it, I'll be able to bump up my mileage a bit if I leave the roof box home.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I do Wisconsin to Colorado many times a year straight through by myself. Its really not that tough. I fact I just went Milwaukee area to Denver today. 14.5 hours drive time 15.25 total time.
I drove out to Colorado from Connecticut to ski one year for the long Thanksgiving weekend.
Left Wednesday after work, drove straight through with a four hour nap in the car. Skied two days (ABasin and Mary Jane) and got back in time for work Tuesday.
Oddly I never did that again.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'v been solo car camping for over a decade in a small hatchback all winter & spring, not long trips, 350mi each way. I do weekly/bi-weekly 4-5 day trips usually, Sun- Thurs, . Car camping is a breeze if prepared. Only downfall is the 2am pee call & the occasional bear at your window.
I have a Nalgene I keep for a bedside pee bottle. I don't even have to get out of my bag.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I have a Nalgene I keep for a bedside pee bottle. I don't even have to get out of my bag.
Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 2.37.33 PM.png
Glow in the dark model for me.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
My family and I did this trip last year. We had good weather and multiple drivers, which made it way easier because we drove straight through. I'm just trying to decide if I want to do it solo. I'm also trying to find a buddy to go, but my friends aren't as obsessed (i.e. crazy) about skiing as I am!
If you don't like to driving long distance, it's not going to work.

If you don't like driving alone, you're going to like it even less.

Add sleeping in the car? You are not very likely to enjoy it.

Even if the skiing is good, you're losing too many days on the road not actually skiing.

Really, if you have to ask, the answer is probably no. You're better off flying.

2Old4Rails

Super Serious Athlete
Skier
Done it quit a few times by myself from the east coast to CO. There is basically nothing in between Cleveland and Denver so it's pretty boring. State troopers patrol the rest stops heavily but they have no interest in bothering most people who are sleeping at night... people sleeping at rest stops is not an event for them. They patrol them and look for people that are not sleeping because that is who people are worried about. I got scammed for $20 once at a rest stop when someone woke me up but you gotta take those licks and keep tickin.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Carry a paper road atlas, Google Earth normally works really well until you are lost in the back of beyond (State Atlas's are even better). Tell somebody your basic route plan and check in. Last but not least bring more money.

Carry on and have a really good time.
Yes- always bring analog navigation backup I.e., map . Even dedicated satellite nav is only as good as it’s power source.

Sponsor

Staff online