• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why buy when you can lease?

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
This push ad was new to me.
Lease a ski equipment package for the season.
I'm thinking this concept might appeal to a lot of part time skiers who don't want to deal with rental shops every time they ski.
Lease ski equipment

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
This push ad was new to me.
Lease a ski equipment package for the season.
I'm thinking this concept might appeal to a lot of part time skiers who don't want to deal with rental shops every time they ski.
Lease ski equipment

Seasonal leases are huge business for the ski shops around here. Not sure any could survive without it.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was great when starting out (kids or adult learner). Not having to waste 30 min-1 hr getting daily rentals and then standing in line to return was a huge game changer in the enjoyment of skiing. That and season passes, go directly to the lift.

But once the bug for "better" stuff bites, the selection in seasonal rentals (around me) don't really cut it.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Lease for kids who are growing.

Also I think for beginner adults a lease the first season makes a lot of sense. Not just for saving vs daily rentals, but not wasting time in the rental shop. My wife and I did that our first full seasons (though she bought boots).

Seasonal leases are huge business for the ski shops around here. Not sure any could survive without it.
Yup. I'm in New York City and have gotten my boy's skis from Ski Barn in Wayne NJ the last two seasons. Good place. And it's sort of fun looking forward to going there in September - winter's coming!:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Yup. I'm in New York City and have gotten my boy's skis from Ski Barn in Wayne NJ the last two seasons.

Fantastic lease program at Ski Barn......great skis (Volkl) and boots for kids. I always was able to get new boots for my daughter when we leased there.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We leased our first season as well. Great way to streamline as a beginner

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think what's interesting about that ad, is that there is an option for a true lease for a specific set of new equipment, with end of season Purchase Option defined.

Versus the typical "lease" which is just a season long "rental" with equipment out of the rental fleet and no real discussion on the purchase option price.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Just a little bit more knowledge and experience for consideration:

Undeniably, renting at the resort can be a frustrating time suck unless you are early to park and get to the rental shop before they open.

1. I have had students come to class with two left boots on. I have had them come to class with skis or poles way too long or too short for the conditions or with a broken binding or with a binding(s) not adjusted for the size of their boots.

But it is easy to swap out equipment when it has issues or isn't right for the student or for the conditions when the equipment is rented from the resort.

2. Our resort will let you keep the equipment you rent on Saturday overnight so you don't have to go through the rental line again on Sunday.

3. It is impossible to beat the resort's "package price" of rental plus ski school lesson plus limited (or unlimited) ski lift ticket. In contrast, when you rent from other than the resort, you will have to pay full price a la carte for each of these other things at the resort.

4. Finally, traveling with skis in the car is dangerous in an accident or even a sudden stop. So, unless you are willing to invest in a vehicle with an exterior ski carrier or ski carrying ability, rental at the resort makes for safer travel. (Ever seen a vehicle on its roof or on its side and wonder how any equipment on the inside shifted during the event? Skis have sharp metal edges . . .)

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@Tim Hodgson so true. Not a perfects solution but pretty much an unbeatable deals at a lot of areas.

My mountain has a 1-2-3 program (or did last season). 3 lessons, 3 days equipment rental, 3 all day lift tickets; $99. How many of us have that much wrapped up in our own equipment on a per day cost?

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
It was great when starting out (kids or adult learner). Not having to waste 30 min-1 hr getting daily rentals and then standing in line to return was a huge game changer in the enjoyment of skiing. That and season passes, go directly to the lift.

But once the bug for "better" stuff bites, the selection in seasonal rentals (around me) don't really cut it.
Can't agree more, it can be a great way to go. Depending on the selection on offer, which sometimes is many degrees of better, it can work for lots of people.

I think what's interesting about that ad, is that there is an option for a true lease for a specific set of new equipment, with end of season Purchase Option defined.

Versus the typical "lease" which is just a season long "rental" with equipment out of the rental fleet and no real discussion on the purchase option price.
This seems like a good vs not so good business strategy :). Setting a clear purchase option is also a win for the customer – if the shoe fits they can keep it, if not they can walk away, all clear and easy.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
@Tim Hodgson so true. Not a perfects solution but pretty much an unbeatable deals at a lot of areas.

My mountain has a 1-2-3 program (or did last season). 3 lessons, 3 days equipment rental, 3 all day lift tickets; $99. How many of us have that much wrapped up in our own equipment on a per day cost?
I like your mountain. And I don't like comparing that offer with my per day cost.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Fantastic lease program at Ski Barn......great skis (Völkl) and boots for kids. I always was able to get new boots for my daughter when we leased there.
Yeah - he was on Völkl just like dad this past season :crossfingers:

But can I ask about new boots for kids? I'm not sure my boy can deal with the time for packing in the liners of new boots. He's nine years old and fairly small, so I'm thinking lightly used might be better. Any thoughts on that from anyone. He's probably going to ski 20 to 30 days.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

They have a similar program at Killington, though a bit more expensive. However, you get a free pair of Elan skis to continue your beginner learning on day three. A friend of ours started skiing with us this way a few years back and she has continued to progress using those skis. She bought her boots the same day she got the skis at the in-lodge boot shop near the learning center.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Yeah - he was on Völkl just like dad this past season :crossfingers:

But can I ask about new boots for kids? I'm not sure my boy can deal with the time for packing in the liners of new boots. He's nine years old and fairly small, so I'm thinking lightly used might be better. Any thoughts on that from anyone. He's probably going to ski 20 to 30 days.

Yes, you can ask the sales staff for a new, rather than a "old" jr. boot when you lease from Ski Barn. I don't remember there being an upcharge for new vs old, if there was it was incremental, $30.

With an estimated 20-30 days, I think that the advantages of a new kids boot outweighs the downside. With a new liner the foam will mold to his foot and his ankle rather than someone else's. So while the liner in a "used boot", using this term loosely here, may be broken in there are many unknowns. Is the liner too packed out to be warm and is it too packed out to support/hold his ankle properly? Also with a lease boot, the foam in the liner will have to readjust to fit the contours of your son's ankle anyways. You know if a kid's boot hurts the foot, then every one's day is in jeopardy.

Kind of feels like splitting hairs but a new boot does have advantages....I also feel like as adults we tell our kids to get in the equipment and stop complaining. May times the kids are right about these problems. With a new boot you'll know that the boot will fit his foot right from the start.

Sponsor

Staff online