• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Why would you go skiing in the European Alps?

What are American skiers looking for in the Alps?

• Alpine charm, atmosphere, history, views

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • Food, wellness, the good life

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • Supreme groomer skiing, great tours (on-piste)

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • (In)famous runs (Tofana, Saslong, Gran Risa, Erta, Orange Killy, Streif)

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • The amount of vertical and off-piste possibilities

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Alpine touring, hut-to-hut trips etc.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Skiing as part of a broader Europe trip (including sightseeing, etc.)

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Other, see comment

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I answered though I've never skied in Europe - though I have thought about and looked into it. I picked the things that have made me think about taking a trip to ski in Europe.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I answered though I've never skied in Europe - though I have thought about and looked into it. I picked the things that have made me think about taking a trip to ski in Europe.
Very good! that's exactly why the title says 'would' (instead of 'did').

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a fan of the big vertical opportunities, the food and culture/ambience and the off piste possibilities.

I've been 3 times and we are talking about maybe going somewhere in Europe next season. Where I've been: Chamonix/Courmayeur, Val d'Isere, Dolomiti Superski/Val di Fassa.

Where we will go next? Talking about Austria, Andorra, Verbier.

Our ski club is looking at a Club Med trip to Les Arcs but We are not into the Club Med experience and do not plan on going.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I'm a fan of the big vertical opportunities, the food and culture/ambience and the off piste possibilities.

I've been 3 times and we are talking about maybe going somewhere in Europe next season. Where I've been: Chamonix/Courmayeur, Val d'Isere, Dolomiti Superski/Val di Fassa.

Where we will go next? Talking about Austria, Andorra, Verbier.

Our ski club is looking at a Club Med trip to Les Arcs but We are not into the Club Med experience and do not plan on going.
Sant Anton am Arlberg maybe? If you're a powderhound. Or Gasteinertal if you're looking for a great mix of everything...

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, it's the love of travel and exploring a new landscape, culture, etc., while combining that with my love for skiing/snowboarding.

One of my favorite quotes is from Bill Bryson in his book Neither Here nor There:

“I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. Suddenly you are five years old again. You can’t read anything, you have only the most rudimentary sense of how things work, you can’t even reliably cross a street without endangering your life. Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses.”

Plus coming from the east coast, it's not that much longer to fly to Europe rather than the west coast, and I like the time change traveling east better than west (lose time on your way out and gain it on your way back).

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
If you don't go, you'll never know.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey @Cheizz , @Nobody , or anyone else. What’s the story with late season in Italy? Like late March/early April. Would it be piste only?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I saw "Last of the Ski Bums", when it first came out. It left an indelible item on my bucket list.

The 50 year dream has been to ski Europe for a winter with nothing but 1 pair of skis and a backpack. The dream is still there but more of the backpack will now be filled with prescription drugs.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Hey @Cheizz , @Nobody , or anyone else. What’s the story with late season in Italy? Like late March/early April. Would it be piste only?
Depends on where you are in Italy. In the Aosta Valley and in Piemonte (Sestriere etc.) there are great options above 2000 m. In The Dolomites, depending on snow cover, the top of the Sella Massif opens up (Val de Mesdi for instance). Aosta Valley would be my bet. Keep in mind that lifts close quite early in most places though, mid-April at the latest.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Very good! that's exactly why the title says 'would' (instead of 'did').
I "did" already, many times. But the first time, it was different from what I thought "why would"...

I think the "would" was just a novelty factor. And I know I wasn't alone.

Now, I go for a bit of everything.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied:
St. Anton Am Alrberg (3 times)
Chamonix
Courmayeur
Zermatt
Grindelwald

Every place was remarkable for different reasons. If you've never experienced a Mooservirt Apre Ski at St Anton than you don't know Apre ski.

Doing ski safaris to different towns and skiing through cow pastures and aside ancient churches and then hitching a ride back to town or catching the bus in some of the most picturesque valleys on the planet. Incredible Italian food and red wine on the slopes that cost a fraction of the garbage fast food at our resorts and restaurants owned by the same family for a few hundred years. Eating dinner in Hills above St. Anton in an old Industrialist mansion with the biggest fireplace you've ever seen. Great lines through challenging terrain and lots of POW that doesn't get tracked out b/c Europeans love their groomers. Skiing just under the Matterhorn in a driving snow storm...some of the most remarkable ski memories that I'll ever make and I plan to go back and make more.

THAT would be a cool trip to plan with folks here.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of the reasons are already listed, but I just think it's cool to mix the familiar with the unfamiliar. I don't know if I described that very well, but ... same same but different, I guess.

Sponsor

Staff online