• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wine Glasses

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Aside from Brachetto (NOT Rosa Regale), what red bubbly is worth drinking?

Some Lambruscos for sure. Lini 910 is pretty available and really fits certain meals and warm afternoons.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Some Lambruscos for sure. Lini 910 is pretty available and really fits certain meals and warm afternoons.
Ok. I'll count it. But if you had been reading my mind instead of my poorly chosen words you would know that I was not including "frizzante". But yeah, I do agree.

I remember a trip years ago to Australia. I was working with some very distinguished Australian consulting winemakers. If I told you some of their projects you'd be impressed. But they set out to prove to me that a) there are great Pinot Noirs made in Australia and b) there are good sparkling shirazes.

They failed on both counts. Found a couple of PN from Tasmania that "don't suck". The sparkling shiraz never achieved that "distinction" imho. As far as the PN goes, it actually seemed to me that the more expensive they were, the worse they were. We tasted one particularly expensive example and one of my companions mumbled under his breath, "damn [winemaker's name] thinks he is still making Barossa shiraz . . .". That pretty much sums up the problem with Australian PN IMHO.

EDIT: I should add that I don't think i have had an Aussie PN since then (around 2007) so I don't know the current state of the art.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I already knew you weren't into the sparkling Shirazes - how are you for sparkling Gamay?

Reading your mind further...I'll guess the Dornfelder Sekts are no better than the Rosa Regale :D

Next time you're working with vdAcw, can you suggest some of the sparkling Shiraz guys pop up to Portugal? THAT could be awesome.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I already knew you weren't into the sparkling Shirazes - how are you for sparkling Gamay?

Reading your mind further...I'll guess the Dornfelder Sekts are no better than the Rosa Regale :D

Next time you're working with vdAcw, can you suggest some of the sparkling Shiraz guys pop up to Portugal? THAT could be awesome.
LOL

Red Sekt is far better than Rosa Regale (usually). I don't think I've ever had a sparkling gamay, or even thought about it in years. But if I ever find one, I'd look forward to trying it. I've had a couple of sparkling Cab Franc that were "drinkable" but nothing special. There is a winery in Baja that makes a Blanc de Noir from Barbera that is actually pretty darn good.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you get a chance to do a tour of the Riedel factory in Austria, it is very interesting. There's the explanation of why each shape of glass for each varietal, but then there's also just standing and watching people blow the glasses (that was my favourite part.) And yes, we do have a selection of Riedel glasses. But what is my daily wine glass? The Fred Sauced wine glass, one side is marked with measurements for cooking, the other for the cook (it helps me to track WW points.) Practical, but still a thin glass and a nice shape.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
My daily glasses are Reidel, and I have their Pinot Noir stemmed and tumbler glasses (which I also use for Italian wines like Sangiovese), tumblers for Chardonnay (which I also use for Sauvignon Blanc) and stemmed for Cabernet Sauvignon. Our special occasion glasses are Waterford Crystal Kildare of which we have a fair few different types, but to be honest we don't often use them - definitely for Champagne as we have nice flutes, but to be honest we don't often have champagne as it gives my wife a headache (I think it might well give me a headache too, but nonetheless I persevere ... ogsmile ).

Edited to add picture. Reidels at the back, Kildares at the front
1605917286971.png

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So here is what passes for my current all purpose glass, almost drained of Beaujolais. (See main wine thread.) It's the Riedel Veritas "new world syrah" shape. Now, between you and me, I could happily live out my life without one more sip of new world syrah. :rolleyes: But that doesn't change the fact that this is a nice-looking, nice-feeling, and nice-drinking glass that I got at half price due to an Amazon inventory management goof. (They sent two sets of two instead of two sets of one.) Note the accompanying "wine glasses."

20201120_183014.jpg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also: I am not a fan of lots different glasses for different kinds of wine. Totally impractical and unaffordable if you're not tasting for a living. Mayb, at most, a red, a white, a sparkling, and a dessert.

I was nodding my head in agreement with your post till I realized you have three more types of wine glasses than I.
:beercheer:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Bubbly red - Cracklin Rose...or Baby Duck. Do they still exist?

The free glasses from the wine tasting state: Oberglas, 1806 or Stolzle Lausitz (2 of each, obviously different years). Working great with a Casa Nueva Merlot and Beef Stew.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I still have, and use, a carafe from, eek, Gallo Deep Red Cheap Rotgut circa 1981, that holds about 1 liter. I think that was the name of it. It's an incredibly thick glass container which works to receive the vino that I pour through the aerating thingy whose name I've forgotten but works on the Bernouilli principle. BUT, I pour the results back out into nice wine glasses.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I still have, and use, a carafe from, eek, Gallo Deep Red Cheap Rotgut circa 1981, that holds about 1 liter. I think that was the name of it. It's an incredibly thick glass container which works to receive the vino that I pour through the aerating thingy whose name I've forgotten but works on the Bernouilli principle. BUT, I pour the results back out into nice wine glasses.
Vinturri.

The Gallo might have been "Hearty Burgundy". A wine that has no "burgundy" in it and could not legally be called that today, but was grandfathered in. Riunite and Paul Masson also distributed wine in 1 liter carafes. They had a giant metal lid on them that didn't seal worth a damn. I had a few (great water pitchers) but don't know where I lost them.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vinturri.

The Gallo might have been "Hearty Burgundy". A wine that has no "burgundy" in it and could not legally be called that today, but was grandfathered in. Riunite and Paul Masson also distributed wine in 1 liter carafes. They had a giant metal lid on them that didn't seal worth a damn. I had a few (great water pitchers) but don't know where I lost them.
Vinturri is it! Thanks.

And yes, I think it was called Hearty Burgundy, but surely, if I remember correctly, it was subtitled "Deep Red Cheap Rotgut"? I recall it as being truly dreadful and only to be drunk when everything else at the party including the Cynar had been finished ...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Since this is a thread about glasses I thought I would share some of my history. When I was newly married and it may have been for my first wedding anniversary, I decided to get a pair of nice Champagne Flutes. I was not sure what to get so I went to a good store and took the advice of the sales person. I had never heard of the brand, Baccarat Crystal but I guess it worked out OK because over 40 years later we still have them. Admittedly we only use them for special occasions because they are very thin glass and extremely delicate.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow - 40 years and not broken?? I'm in awe! We average about 8-12 months/glass on our crystal (DOFs, coupes; not wine).

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will just leave this here.

Wine glasses, beer goggles
What a very strange post - from the American Addiction Centers and Alcohol.org. Almost seems like there could be some disapproval of those of us who enjoy wine, and are discussing in this thread the glasses we use to drink it. Maybe it was because I said that the awful 1980's Gallo rotgut was "only to be drunk when everything else at the party including the Cynar* had been finished ..." which I would hope most would understand was a light hearted comment referring back to approximately 1981. And yes, as a young man I did go to parties <shudder> and, wait for it, even drink alcohol <double shudder>. Indeed I met my wife at a wedding reception and while I don't specifically recall what, I know that there would have been alcohol there. Gosh, I wonder if I thought she was darned good looking because of beer goggles, and have wasted 38 years with her in ignorance.

[* Cynar - a ghastly artichoke liqueur]

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know, right? I think we have like 5 different cut crystal sets, not even counting the Christmasy/floral/painted ones. Matching sherry, port, and cordial glasses for the win.

The only thing we use the modern tumblers for? Scuppernong/Muscadine Jello

I think liking a wine more out of vintage is that the vintage is tied to a favorable memory .. so with good memories comes "better" wine.

in the same idea ... our use of Steamboat Resort stemless:

I love our Riedel glasses but for the hot tub, our retro Pugski Govino ones are very good.

many will find this sinful but we default to cheap plastic Steamboat Resort tumbler when we hot tub at home .. required use when on travel at the hottub if one doesn't bring fancier with them. It does double duty with beer ... it's 16oz up to the bottom lip .. can squeeze in 20 oz to the top. Resized_20201121_140035.jpeg

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What a very strange post - from the American Addiction Centers and Alcohol.org. Almost seems like there could be some disapproval of those of us who enjoy wine, and are discussing in this thread the glasses we use to drink it. Maybe it was because I said that the awful 1980's Gallo rotgut was "only to be drunk when everything else at the party including the Cynar* had been finished ..." which I would hope most would understand was a light hearted comment referring back to approximately 1981. And yes, as a young man I did go to parties <shudder> and, wait for it, even drink alcohol <double shudder>. Indeed I met my wife at a wedding reception and while I don't specifically recall what, I know that there would have been alcohol there. Gosh, I wonder if I thought she was darned good looking because of beer goggles, and have wasted 38 years with her in ignorance.

[* Cynar - a ghastly artichoke liqueur]

Was making a joke. /eyeroll

Sponsor

Staff online