• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Winter Ski Mask

David Koblas

Booting up
Instructor
While there is an epic thread on What "mask" will you wear in the lift lines/gondola? There is a more practical need of having some real reviews. While people might be arguing about Colorado/California and Vail rules and how they're going to do their best to "comply". I'm looking for some real advice and experience with different products.

Quebec rules state that you must wear covering over your nose and mouth while on the slopes, not just in lift lines. If you've been wearing a mask in the current times with just your sunglasses you know that fogging is an issue.

I've noticed that a few companies are trying to create new ski mask products, it's not clear if anybody is thinking about us stuck with Quebec/New England skiing.
  • Serius has released their EVO Arc Masque -- looks good, but worried it vents into the goggles
  • (K)N95 mask -- not sure about warmth.
  • Surgical Mask -- yeah, no
  • Double layer buff -- gets the job done, but is there better? It also will fog goggles.
My existing neoprene face mask for those -30C days with a bunch of vent holes is not going to cut it per the current restrictions. It would be great if anybody has any experience before I start mail ordering 13 different masks just to figure out if they work...

Maybe the answer is to go the other way and get goggles with built-in fans.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is a great question. Recently had to wear safety glasses and a mask for work due to OSHA, etc., and wound up not being able to see, which was Not Good given the industrial terrain.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
In CO the state issued guidelines to counties. The counties tweak those guidelines to create mandates. Don't know where we are on "masks", but I believe that Buffs, tubes etc are not considered appropriate as per guidelines.

In CO (if I remember the points of the 12 p doc correctly) no masks required while socially distanced skiing, but are required in lift lines, on lifts if you are not with your party, exiting lifts and of course indoors.

All that being said, we just ordered this winter's head / face coverings. My guess is once Jan hits, there will be none to be had.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In CO the state issued guidelines to counties. The counties tweak those guidelines to create mandates. Don't know where we are on "masks", but I believe that Buffs, tubes etc are not considered appropriate as per guidelines.

In CO (if I remember the points of the 12 p doc correctly) no masks required while socially distanced skiing, but are required in lift lines, on lifts if you are not with your party, exiting lifts and of course indoors.

All that being said, we just ordered this winter's head / face coverings. My guess is once Jan hits, there will be none to be had.
Are you saying in CO a buff/tube/gaiter won't cut it in lift lines?
Any other states/provinces/ski resorts banning the use of buffs or gaiters and requiring N95/masks instead?
My tentative plan was to pull up a buff/gaiter in lines and pull it down while actually skiing on most days. Alternatively, I guess I could keep an old N95 in jacket pocket and pull it out for lines, put it away for skiing? That might be the most comfortable thing to do on mild days when a buff or gaiter might be hot around the neck.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I got this for really cold skiing Picture of same here:
IMG_1077.jpg

I am hoping that my IOX Turbofan goggles will clear the breath.

But am less sure about what to use for the not quite so brutal days. @martyg - what did you buy?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I plan to order both of these as soon as they are available (one item specifies Nov 8, the other doesn’t yet have a date).

and here’s a face mask designed for high-exertion activites

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Someone said in France they are absolutely requiring something filtered, no regular buff or neck gator unless it has some kind of markings to indicate a filter inside.

I saw somewhere else here in the US they were drawing the floor at surgical masks or multi layered gaiters. We still have two months before things really pick up at the ski resorts.. and I suspect that a lot depends on where we are with hospital capacity and cases per capita mid December before we'll really get THE plan.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I plan to order both of these as soon as they are available (one item specifies Nov 8, the other doesn’t yet have a date).

and here’s a face mask designed for high-exertion activites

Adrenaline "high exertion mask" is interesting. Back of head strap clasp looks hooky and also possibly a lot of annoying futzing around to use as a lanyard when safe to lower the mask. IDK.

Ubertube could be good if the bib can be tucked and anchored into place under a shell/mid-layer to better facilitate on and off use when safe to lower the mask.

Balaclava doesnt appear to allow for lowering the face mask part when sauterated clammy and gross, and if at a safe place with ample SD'ing from others to do so.

Interchangable filters across the line are a plus, more so in that I already have the orginal OR mask and filters.

At this point I already have enough options to make do and only see these as possible improvements.

I can wait for REI and or EMS to stock these so I can check 'em out before committing to non returnable items which I may not like.

Also there may be better options yet to come.

Plus too much uncertinty around the 20/21 season, worse for me being located in the mid-atlantic region.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am going to wear a cloth double layer mask with ASTM level 2/3 surgical mask as filter, then my neoprene gaiter with the ventilation on top. They key is to keep the surgical mask dry from your breathing, therefore the cloth layer to absorb moisture. Can put a layer of gauze between face and mask too. I will keep my goggles on indoors to protect my eyes. If you leave a gap between cheeks and goggles, it will keep goggles from fogging up.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
I tested k95 mask in the big snow New Jersey. It worked well. It was crowed in both lift lines and a locker but I still dont have any symptoms of covid.(it’s been just a week though. I will watch myself another week). It was worm enough but it eventually soaked up but still much drier than buff. I will likely go with k95 unless I find better option.
Buff Inc. introduced filtered buff style mask this season which looks great from their description but customer reviews are bad from REI. So I kind of opted out.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
tested k95 - big snow New Jersey.
-
it eventually soaked up but still much drier than buff. I will likely go with k95 unless I find better option.
Buff Inc. introduced filtered buff style mask this season which looks great from their description but customer reviews are bad from REI. So I kind of opted out.
I once tried a buff like Turtle Fur neck tube, the darn thing wetted out all the way around with breath moisture faster than a Bounty "quicker picker-upper" Paper towel! I got rid of it asap!

About the Adrenaline Face Mask

• Fully customizable fit. Adjustable ear loops, back of head strap, and nose wire for a comfortable and secure fit. Back of head strap doubles as a mask lanyard.
• Breathable: Structured air mesh lifts mask off the face and nose creating a large space for enhanced breathability during high exertion activity.
• Cooling: Mask lining is treated with ActiveIce technology for for next-to-face comfort.

^The second point interests me most as I think the only way to deal with a clammy saturated mask is by having a shape and structure void space pocket which lifts it off of the face but still seals at the perimeter to be effective at mitigating viral spread.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tested k95 mask in the big snow New Jersey. It worked well. It was crowed in both lift lines and a locker but I still dont have any symptoms of covid.(it’s been just a week though. I will watch myself another week). It was worm enough but it eventually soaked up but still much drier than buff. I will likely go with k95 unless I find better option.
I wore the filtered Buff mask at.....Big Snow, last time I was there. It worked great. It actually was my favorite. It fit really well with no air leaks, and it breathed well enough so that the mask didn’t feel all soggy by the time my session was over.

The previous visit to Big Snow I wore a more regular style cloth mask, which was fine.

When I go back, I’ll wear the Buff mask again.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I once tried a buff like Turtle Fur neck tube, the darn thing wetted out all the way around with breath moisture faster than a Bounty "quicker picker-upper" Paper towel! I got rid of it asap!

About the Adrenaline Face Mask

• Fully customizable fit. Adjustable ear loops, back of head strap, and nose wire for a comfortable and secure fit. Back of head strap doubles as a mask lanyard.
• Breathable: Structured air mesh lifts mask off the face and nose creating a large space for enhanced breathability during high exertion activity.
• Cooling: Mask lining is treated with ActiveIce technology for for next-to-face comfort.

^The second point interests me most as I think the only way to deal with a clammy saturated mask is by having a shape and structure void space pocket which lifts it off of the face but still seals at the perimeter to be effective at mitigating viral spread.
Try it! I really like mine.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Try it! I really like mine.
Ok, sure if you are you referring to your Buff FaceMask/sub-par filter.
If the run of the mill Buff then no thanks. Years ago when face mask shopping an EMS saleswoman said try a Buff. Had to ask her to repeat that twice, the name Buff had me thinking she was messing with me. She demonstrated the multiple ways of wearing the Buff which to me looked like some weird origami fashion accessory fad for Millenials and eight to twelve-year-olds.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, sure if you are you referring to your Buff FaceMask/sub-par filter.
If the run of the mill Buff then no thanks. Years ago when face mask shopping an EMS saleswoman said try a Buff. Had to ask her to repeat that twice, the name Buff had me thinking she was messing with me. She demonstrated the multiple ways of wearing the Buff which to me looked like some weird origami fashion accessory fad for Millenials and eight to twelve-year-olds.
Haha, not the original Buff, the face mask variety is what I use and like.
The regular Buff to me is just a neck warmer.

Sponsor

Staff online