• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

World Cup 2021?

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Anyone worried about the World Cup North American swing in late November and December 2021?

I have a hotel reservation at base of Beaver Creek (CO not OH) for Birds of Prey weekend. Cancelled the same reservation last year for BoP.

I am starting to get nervous about COVID numbers and FIS defaulting to similar program cuts and safety scenarios as last year.

I know it’s early, but they likely need to make decisions somewhat early.

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I’m thinking it’s doubtful.
If it were in Florida they could have it, but they would be smarter than that.

Unfortunately, I suspect cases will spike maybe first or second week of September. Just when decisions are finalized. (?) So, it wouldn’t surprise me if travel to the US was out for the teams.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Yea, I’ve put off going to BoP for years, now will have cancelled two years in a row. I suppose they could have the event with no fans - but they doesn’t help me. It was so hard to get the rooms on points but am just tired of the COVID hassle, so probably will just wait a decade or so now.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I know that there is a LOT of concern among those who will be the decision makers, as the number of cases spike among relatively young, very healthy athletes.

Many are the Delta variant, others are beginning to emerge. The number of “breakthrough” positive tests among that crowd are increasing. My adult kids work in the sport. They are hearing of many fully vaccinated testing positive. And getting sick.

Has all of the elements of a real mess. “Mandating” anything is hard, but I know coaches at those top levels who are fully vaccinated and want the booster ASAP. I know others who are not vaccinated, which is an issue.

And I know people lying about it, and even buying fake cards.

My hunch is that FIS and the international race community is getting worried enough about the OWG’s in China. And may be seeing no reason to travel to the USA for BOP, or Killington.

Also sounds like we could have another non NorAm season. I can also state that a huge number of colleges and universities are nervous.

I DO NOT want to make this political. BUT, friends of mine in the International ski world really struggle with how half of this country can refuse the vaccines….with no consequence. That perception…of our being unable to “control” things….may come into play.

FIS delegates don’t grasp an organization like the NFLPA….the football players union.

I’m prepared for a near non race season. Which will not help our development prospects, IMO.

Hoping for the best, so much.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I will take a booster as soon as available....and yes, we are seeing fully vaccinated folks get COVID (usually Delta variant from an un-vaccinated family member or friend). Fortunately, most of the vaccinated individuals who have gotten COVID have had an attenuated, less serious disease course. Still nothing I want, so I keep wearing masks, washing hands, and stay away from indoor activities and crowds of all sizes.....

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
Hmm...

"The European Union recommended on Monday that Americans should be banned from nonessential travel to its member states after a rise in Covid-19 cases in the United States."

Yeah, I get it - athlete travel is essential. but...

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
From what I heard yesterday, both US and Canadian races are currently confirmed. But in my mind it's ridiculous to make any plans for 3 months in advance, when noone knows what will be tomorrow and so much less what will be in 3 months, so saying races are "confirmed" in August, it pretty optimistic thing.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
From what I heard yesterday, both US and Canadian races are currently confirmed. But in my mind it's ridiculous to make any plans for 3 months in advance, when noone knows what will be tomorrow and so much less what will be in 3 months, so saying races are "confirmed" in August, it pretty optimistic thing.

Yes, but the show must go on!...

Until it doesn’t
40805ED1-E836-4BBC-B867-59427AE0E040.jpeg

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
But in my mind it's ridiculous to make any plans for 3 months in advance, when noone knows what will be tomorrow and so much less what will be in 3 months, so saying races are "confirmed" in August, it pretty optimistic thing.
What’s the deadline to decide? If it’s late September, it could be at its’s worst here. Might be better by mid to late October. Or not.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@4ster agree, but when country closes their doors as it's case with South America at the moment (so no trainings down south), or when you need to go 14 days quarantine when you come back, things change a bit. And FIS and the way they organize WC (IBU has a bit more power with biathlon WC in such cases, as organization there is different then with FIS), has pretty much nothing to do or to say when it goes this way.
@James no idea. This didn't come from anyone within FIS but I had coffee with one of the servicemen and we were talking a bit about all this too, and for now their plan is to go to US and Canada and from FIS side races are for now confirmed. But in this situation, I would say deadline is 3min before start of the race :roflmao:

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
@4ster agree, but when country closes their doors as it's case with South America at the moment (so no trainings down south), or when you need to go 14 days quarantine when you come back, things change a bit. And FIS and the way they organize WC (IBU has a bit more power with biathlon WC in such cases, as organization there is different then with FIS), has pretty much nothing to do or to say when it goes this way.
@James no idea. This didn't come from anyone within FIS but I had coffee with one of the servicemen and we were talking a bit about all this too, and for now their plan is to go to US and Canada and from FIS side races are for now confirmed. But in this situation, I would say deadline is 3min before start of the race :roflmao:
With no South America, where have they been training this summer? Could teams go to New Zealand?
Here’s a vid from Les Deux Alpes this month. Skied there 20 yrs ago in the summer.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
With no South America, where have they been training this summer? Could teams go to New Zealand?
Here’s a vid from Les Deux Alpes this month. Skied there 20 yrs ago in the summer.

l think there has been lots of training on the glaciers in Europe & from what l’ve seen conditions have been good. Recently I have seen Speed stuff above Zermatt.
I think Shiffrin is there now.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Not a chance that teams can go to New Zealand. NZ has some of the most strict border controls and quarantine protocols in the world. They recently placed huge internal restrictions nationwide after a handful of positive cases from citizens who traveled out of country.

So the idea of letting in outsiders from countries with significant upticks of COVID cases seems like a non-starter for New Zealand.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Well I guess they could have gone to NZ, if they got gov’t permission, and were willing to be locked in a hotel for two weeks. Which I guess wasn’t going to happen.
Solden training. Kind of looks like NZ with all the green.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
NZ has been completely off the table all summer. No international teams. None.

South America…nope. Nothing.

As Primoz notes: all in Europe. USST has been in Saas Fee and Zermatt, with plently of friends. Same with Stelvio and Hintertux. Busy. The bigger, longer indoor venues in Europe have been busy.

Many of the top American clubs have been pretty worked up, while some veteran coaches take the “relax” approach. Missing a second or third time block on snow for a 13-14 year old is not a big deal.

Mt. Hood was a zoo, and I heard over and over again about the weather and surface. I heard “Not really good, but good enough to so some decent work. Be thankful to be on snow.”

I am very close to a pretty high level youth coach. The number of trips and training blocks that he has planned, booked, and cancelled….outside of the US, last late spring, summer, and fall….now 2021 repeat…I think is well over 20.

He told me of upcoming trips to the Euro glaciers that he thinks may well be cancelled.

It’s a mess. The season may be another very different one. I would not bet on ANY North American WC starts, as things unfold.

Just my intel.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
As posted, Europe is the practically the only place right now.
NZ is/was a total no go, frankly might be the same again in 2022.

Sponsor

Staff online