• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
That place in Cape Elizabeth is Two Lights State Park, and "The Lobster Shack." Pretty solid. Anybody headed to Maine? So many spots!

Market price is high right now. Walked over to buy some lobster meat......and decided NOT to. $60/lb. Ouch.

My college roommate was from Cape Elizabeth and had a commercial lobster license. It was a part time job for him, but he did have 170 pots. During the summer in the 1980s, we used to go up and spend weekends pulling pots and eating lobster. I think he supplied the Lobster Shack or whatever it was called back then. One weekend the pot puller broke and we had to pull the pots by hand. I think I was incapacitated for about a week after that weekend. He kept his boat off Crescent Beach. Good times. 20180503_174421.jpg
Old pot and his buoy

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...I just do not understand how a Park City lobster roll can beat a place where they basically take the lobster off the boat and put it on your roll, but that horse has been beaten on the first few pages of this thread.

Well, right. I don't think anyone thinks that ... the contest would have then been called "World's Best Lobster." But when the actual lobster was all the same, this place won for best roll.

And there is a reason I bumped the thread... tba.

Muleski

Inactive
I'm not exactly a neophyte at this, BTW. "North of Boston" includes three homes for us, two in Maine. One north of Mt. Desert Island in Maine. DownEast. I worked during my school years, through college, as a stern man. Then fished full time for two years, while coaching skiing. A number of my closest friends are still in the lobster business......distributors, processors, etc. Big business in Maine, and in NH, MA.

When I said the cold water is important, along with the bottom structure, and suggested DownEast Maine.......that's the mother lode for the best fishing. The water is actually warmer in PEI {swim there and see!}, and the bottom is not quite as interesting for the lobsters to feed. So.....I'll stick with my guns. Where we life "full time", on Boston's North Shore, the lobster fishing is tough. And, the market is different. it's more expensive. As you probably know, the market price swings a lot based on supply and demand.

$59.95 is the price, here, for a pound of lobster meat. There is a LOT less meat in a Lobster than most people realize. It's about 20% of the total weight of the beast. So.....a pound and 1/4 lobster yields about 3.5 to 4 ounces of meat. And that depends on the season. Summer lobsters, with softer shells have less meat. A pound and a half lobster has more like 4.5 oz, and that is generally enough for two generous lobster rolls. Depends. Often "Culls" are used. Those that are missing a claw. Most of the meat comes form the tail.

So a pound of GOOD fresh lobsterman, will make at least five big lobster rolls. Maybe six. When you do the math that way, it's not insane.
Plus your kitchen doesn't smell!

We all have preferences for rolls. In Maine, the traditional roll was baked at the Nissen bakery in Portland. Some like Mayo.....some hate it. And serious mayo preferences: Hellman's {owned by a Portland family}, Cain's. No other garnish for the purists....never any celery, maybe a TINY amount of lettuce. Maybe. In Maine, it's cold, the roll is cold, and normally it has a touch of mayo.

Yes, there are some incredibly busy and profitable Lobster "shacks." Red's is legendary. Harraseeket lunch and Lobster in South Freeport. Gilbert's Chowder House in Portland. I like to get more off the beaten path. Five Islands is great. Estes in South Harpswell is really good. I like the place at Two Lights, despite the tourist factor.

To go......Town Landing Market in Falmouth works, for those just North of Portland. Boothbay Lobster is the real deal....despite the crowds. I'd prefer Sprague's in Wiscasset to Red's. The general store in East Boothbay has great lobster rolls.

This stuff is all within an hour of Portland.

Now I'm hungry. My wife picked up the lobster meat two hours ago. Price be damned!!

Sorry to pontificate......get passionate about Lobster. BTW, all of my friends who fish much prefer a good steak!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not exactly a neophyte at this, BTW. "North of Boston" includes three homes for us, two in Maine. One north of Mt. Desert Island in Maine. DownEast. I worked during my school years, through college, as a stern man. Then fished full time for two years, while coaching skiing. A number of my closest friends are still in the lobster business......distributors, processors, etc. Big business in Maine, and in NH, MA.

When I said the cold water is important, along with the bottom structure, and suggested DownEast Maine.......that's the mother lode for the best fishing. The water is actually warmer in PEI {swim there and see!}, and the bottom is not quite as interesting for the lobsters to feed. So.....I'll stick with my guns. Where we life "full time", on Boston's North Shore, the lobster fishing is tough. And, the market is different. it's more expensive. As you probably know, the market price swings a lot based on supply and demand.

$59.95 is the price, here, for a pound of lobster meat. There is a LOT less meat in a Lobster than most people realize. It's about 20% of the total weight of the beast. So.....a pound and 1/4 lobster yields about 3.5 to 4 ounces of meat. And that depends on the season. Summer lobsters, with softer shells have less meat. A pound and a half lobster has more like 4.5 oz, and that is generally enough for two generous lobster rolls. Depends. Often "Culls" are used. Those that are missing a claw. Most of the meat comes form the tail.

So a pound of GOOD fresh lobsterman, will make at least five big lobster rolls. Maybe six. When you do the math that way, it's not insane.
Plus your kitchen doesn't smell!

We all have preferences for rolls. In Maine, the traditional roll was baked at the Nissen bakery in Portland. Some like Mayo.....some hate it. And serious mayo preferences: Hellman's {owned by a Portland family}, Cain's. No other garnish for the purists....never any celery, maybe a TINY amount of lettuce. Maybe. In Maine, it's cold, the roll is cold, and normally it has a touch of mayo.

Yes, there are some incredibly busy and profitable Lobster "shacks." Red's is legendary. Harraseeket lunch and Lobster in South Freeport. Gilbert's Chowder House in Portland. I like to get more off the beaten path. Five Islands is great. Estes in South Harpswell is really good. I like the place at Two Lights, despite the tourist factor.

To go......Town Landing Market in Falmouth works, for those just North of Portland. Boothbay Lobster is the real deal....despite the crowds. I'd prefer Sprague's in Wiscasset to Red's. The general store in East Boothbay has great lobster rolls.

This stuff is all within an hour of Portland.

Now I'm hungry. My wife picked up the lobster meat two hours ago. Price be damned!!

Sorry to pontificate......get passionate about Lobster. BTW, all of my friends who fish much prefer a good steak!

Haha, yeah most of the lobstermen don't eat em, they call them "bugs".

With respect to the bottom structure of DownEast Maine: 100's of Millions of lobster larvae hatch each summer from female lobsters along the Maine coast. (A 1-pound female lobster usually carries approximately 8,000 eggs. A 9-pound female may carry more than 100,000 eggs.) Most of those get eaten by fish, or starve to death. From every 50,000 eggs only about 2 lobsters are expected to survive to legal size. From Friendship Maine to Boothbay Harbor there is the perfect bottom for lobster larvae to find shelter and something to eat. Stony bottom is good for lobster. The prevailing current that flows along the coast from Friendship to Boothbay carries the lobster larvae along and deposits them right a Boothbay Harbors doorstep. This creates a sustainable fishery for lobsters along that coast. The common wisdom was always that the lobster trap would let the lobster in but not out, until they actually attached a camera to a trap and saw that the lobster could come and go from the trap. When a lobsterman pulls up a trap and there are lobsters in it; it's only because those lobsters like being in there. Lobsters like 'cave' like structures to hide in. Those lobsters that go in to a trap and eat the bait, and then leave are living off the lobsterman's bait-thus lobstermen are actually ranching lobsters in some areas; which is fine because there is only so much food supply for this lobsters and without the "ranching" there would be less lobsters. Lobsters travel towards inland to warmer waters to molt ( lose their shell so they can grow and mate ), a female lobster needs to molt to mate. Scientists have not, as of yet, found a way to determine the exact age of a lobster. Their best guess is a maximum age attained may approach 100 years. During colonial times they couldn't give away lobsters. They use to feed lobsters to prisoners, or grind them up for fertilizer.

I highly recommend this book fr any lobster lover. I read it cover to cover twice and each time, I couldn't put it down.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-Lobsters-Scientists-Unraveling/dp/0060555599

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The last few years have brought warmer waters to the gulf of Maine. Makes for a nice dip in Casco Bay in August, but it causes the lobsters to grow more quickly, increasing yield but depressing prices, which hurts smaller lobstermen who don't have the capacity to harvest as many as larger operations. Longer term, the lobster will move north to colder waters if the warming trend continues. The warm waters have already sharply reduced lobster numbers in RI and Cape Cod.

That's great that you can get a good lobster roll in UT. I'm not much of a lobster roll connsieur since when I go food shopping at Market Basket, I'll pick up their lobster finger rolls for lunch for $7.00. They're pretty good. When up in Maine we just steam a bunch of them and dip them in drawn butter and eat them with corn on the cob.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Well, right. I don't think anyone thinks that ... the contest would have then been called "World's Best Lobster." But when the actual lobster was all the same, this place won for best roll. ...

It never occurred to me until just now that you could have the world’s best lobster roll without the world’s best lobster, but I see what you’re saying. Sneaky. ;)

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It never occurred to me until just now that you could have the world’s best lobster roll without the world’s best lobster, but I see what you’re saying. Sneaky. ;)

Where's a "mind-blown" emoji when you need one?

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just got back from a week visit in coastal nh. Went to browns, newicks and a couple other local places. Chowder at newicks is everything chowder should be not that thick gross glop everyone else sells. Browns is also highly recomended. Byob is nice also.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got back from a week visit in coastal nh. Went to browns, newicks and a couple other local places. Chowder at newicks is everything chowder should be not that thick gross glop everyone else sells. Browns is also highly recomended. Byob is nice also.

Browns and Newicks are staples...BG's Boathouse is my local favorite for a classic New England seafood meal. But, +10 on Newick's chowder...so good.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure it's not on par with what's in the NE, nor in Utah, but this was a pleasant food truck discovery at a local Art Show.... DSC_0323.JPG

James

Out There
Instructor
Those lobsters are probably from Kentucky! Refugee lobsters. John McPhee wrote a whole piece on this UPS shipping center years ago. It was very involved setting it up with biologists, and many others consulting. It's way beyond packing them in ice. The center also has outside companies with shops and storage there. As I remember it, that center had a shop with the largest supply of Bentley parts in it, another fixed all Toshiba laptops in the US.
One of the most interesting stories was the ship captains that train in Switzerland. They train with large scale model ships in pools and a pond. It's really complex with the level of detail.
Then there's the trucker that delivers a full tanker of WD 40. Some great stories in the book.

IMG_5788.JPG

But here's a very simplified article from the Economist. The McPhee story is far more interesting.
----------
"Once they have been caught by the fishermen in Nova Scotia that supply Clearwater, they are taken to Louisville by truck, a journey that can last more than 30 hours. There they recover in tanks filled with saltwater made from mixing the necessary ingredients with fresh water. The water is kept clean by being passed through giant versions of the sort of filters and skimmers that keep saltwater aquariums in good shape. When an order comes in, the lobsters are packed in special containers for UPS to deliver in good shape."
-------------------
https://www.economist.com/special-report/2006/06/15/just-in-time-lobsters

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My Dad grew up around Boston. About ten years ago and late in his life we took him back to New England for one last summertime visit. One day we went for a drive along the NH/ME seacoast and upon his insistence we stopped for a lobster roll lunch in Hampton Beach. Later that same day we stopped at Brown’s Lobster Pound in Seabrook, NH (mentioned in posts 89 and 90 in this thread) for a full lobster dinner.

My wife likes lobster. We may have to check out Freshies on our visits to UT this winter.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Got tired of hanging burrs and saw lobster rolls which got my attention. Made some for Christmas and might have to do it again soon. A frozen can (1lb) was running around $25 CAD but that's a lot of meat and no shell issues.
Lobster is a huge industry here and Jame' link on transport is quite interesting. A few years ago they started shipping them in live pens onboard ships bound for asia

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/container-live-lobster-sea-1.3762784

A lot of them get shipped by air (cargo 747) to china and Europe but sea containers look like the way to go in the future.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Got tired of hanging burrs and saw lobster rolls which got my attention. Made some for Christmas and might have to do it again soon. A frozen can (1lb) was running around $25 CAD but that's a lot of meat and no shell issues.
Lobster is a huge industry here.

If you want some cheap amusement, somewhere in the CBC archives is one particular As It Happens show where a Maine lobster marketing guy spends 15 minutes calling Canadian lobster 'impostah lobstah' :roflmao::roflmao:

It's triply hilarious if you consider how much of the same resource they're chasing.

Last edited:

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lobster is a huge industry here and Jame' link on transport is quite interesting. A few years ago they started shipping them in live pens onboard ships bound for asia

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/container-live-lobster-sea-1.3762784

A lot of them get shipped by air (cargo 747) to china and Europe but sea containers look like the way to go in the future.
Frozen claw knuckle (iirc Rockport packer is the good stuff) is around that price range commercially. Wouldn't know where to get it as a consumer but its great quality for a lobster roll amongst or lobstery things.

scott43

Skier
bump..

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since this thread has been bumped I have to admit that we had an excellent lobster roll from a small restaurant in Big Bear, CA this past winter. Paging @Pat AKA mustski .

And yes, I'm from New York and have eaten lobster rolls all over New England.

Sponsor

Staff online