• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Worn soles on ski boots

Corey19

Booting up
Skier
This year is my first year skiing. I have a bunch of buddies that have skied for a long time. I got second hand gear From them for my first year. The boots have soles that are worn down. I’ve ordered replacement heels and toes though my local ski shop. My question though is this: What do worn boot heels and toes cause?

I’ve read that it may cause improper DIN release. What does this mean exactly? My skis seem to release far too easily sometimes. Sometimes I’ll hit the tiniest bit of crud and the ski will just pop off.

Another thing I am running into is instability. Not just at higher speeds, but all the time. It seems as though my ski is wobbling under me as I’m moving. Is this an issue because of the boots as well, or is this something else?

Thanks y’all!

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This year is my first year skiing. I have a bunch of buddies that have skied for a long time. I got second hand gear From them for my first year. The boots have soles that are worn down. I’ve ordered replacement heels and toes though my local ski shop. My question though is this: What do worn boot heels and toes cause?

I’ve read that it may cause improper DIN release. What does this mean exactly? My skis seem to release far too easily sometimes. Sometimes I’ll hit the tiniest bit of crud and the ski will just pop off.

Another thing I am running into is instability. Not just at higher speeds, but all the time. It seems as though my ski is wobbling under me as I’m moving. Is this an issue because of the boots as well, or is this something else?

Thanks y’all!

Worn boot soles do not provide a solid connection to the binding and thus can cause improper release or not enough friction to allow release. It may also cause some play within the bindings.

Wobbling could be quite a few things, loose and improper fitting boots, bad tune, not distributing pressure evenly along the ski or placing enough forward pressure (backseating)

This is only your first year, enjoy it, figure out the type of skier you want to be and what type of skis eventually you will like and what type of terrain.
Boots are your most important piece of equipment, if you decide this is for you and want to progress sit down with a professional Bootfitter and get dialed in with a boot that fits YOU

TS
C

Corey19

Booting up
Skier
In your other thread you mentioned you'd bought new boots from a boot fitter. Are you not skiing on them?

All the talk about making sure you have proper boots made me second guess. I had thought I had good boots; but, I got nervous about them after that thread. I realized what I thought was my boot may not have been. I brought them back, got credit, and am going to go back in the spring when I have more of a feel for the sport and can figure out what I really want in a boot.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you put the boot in the ski and you can wobble it, and you can't adjust it, you definitely have a boot problem. if it doesn't wobble, you still may have a boot problem

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
All the talk about making sure you have proper boots made me second guess. I had thought I had good boots; but, I got nervous about them after that thread. I realized what I thought was my boot may not have been. I brought them back, got credit, and am going to go back in the spring when I have more of a feel for the sport and can figure out what I really want in a boot.

Just skip the getting a feel for the sport part and take your money to a competent bootfitter. People on this forum can give you recommendations. There isn't really much to figure out re. "what you want in a boot" beyond touring fittings or walkable soles or whatever. A good bootfitter will pick the boot for you.

Worn boots can cause binding issues. Wobbling, as @Winks mentioned, can be from any number of things. Maybe even just a case of new skier getting used to things. Get yourself well fitting boots, everything else can be fixed.

James

Out There
Instructor
The afd/boot interface is pretty critical when talking about binding engineering. You can get away with all sorts of horrible soles, but it plays havoc with a bindings release.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Thats not good but your post is vague. Lets see the soles.

Sponsor

Staff online