• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wraparound goggle covers?

jwn1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anyone know of goggle covers that cover the outside and inside of the goggles while still on the helmet? I have to admit that I am very lazy and I keep my goggles on the helmet at all times. I have the standard goggle covers that cover the outside of the goggles. But the elastic is not that great and it can come off in my bag. It would be nice to have a cover that wraps around and closes with velcro or something. I could make one with a goggle bag but I don't a sewing machine.

thx

SuzSkis

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone know of goggle covers that cover the outside and inside of the goggles while still on the helmet? I have to admit that I am very lazy and I keep my goggles on the helmet at all times. I have the standard goggle covers that cover the outside of the goggles. But the elastic is not that great and it can come off in my bag. It would be nice to have a cover that wraps around and closes with velcro or something. I could make one with a goggle bag but I don't a sewing machine.

thx
I've used thin neck gaiters to store my goggles while in my ski bag, but I've never wrapped them while on the helmet. It might be doable if you have a goggle strap that detaches at the back. None of mine do, so I've never attempted it. My issue is always protecting the INSIDE of the goggle from scratches while in storage. I usually put a soft cloth on the inside, but it isn't a complete fix.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
None that I know of, but if the main purpose is to keep it from sliding off rather than covering both sides of the goggles, perhaps replace the elastic in a standard goggle cover with a drawstring and cord lock. I find that leaving goggles on the helmet causes the elastic to get stretched out sooner, and I hate shopping for goggles. Any other solution I can think of would end up being more effort than removing the goggles from the helmet.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We use Goggle Soc but they only cover the outside. Mine has elastic that covers and stays put quite well.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
My issue is always protecting the INSIDE of the goggle from scratches while in storage
I don't usually use it for every day, but for travel with my boot bag I have a Dakine goggle stash for a little extra protection (and keep spare lenses in it so I don't lose them.)

TS
J

jwn1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
replace the elastic in a standard goggle cover with a drawstring and cord lock.
thats a decent idea. thanks.

Any other solution I can think of would end up being more effort than removing the goggles from the helmet.
yeah. I may go that way. I think I also have a helmet bag somewhere. I would think covering the whole helmet would be the same as goggle covers.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I always use the bag the goggles came in, and then (this is the important part) PUT THE BAGGED GOGGLES INSIDE THE HELMET. The helmet protects the goggles.

Bagged goggles inside of helmet.
Gloves and beanie on top of goggles (inside helmet).
Helmet full of goggles and soft gloves and beanie inside of boot bag in top compartment.
Get it home and disassemble for drying out.

Leaving the goggles on the outside of the helmet and then trying to protect them with a soft covering is a recipe for disaster. Put them inside the helmet. Let the helmet do its protective function.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yeah. I may go that way. I think I also have a helmet bag somewhere. I would think covering the whole helmet would be the same as goggle covers.
I also use helmet bag in the boot bag, and leave goggles in position. Without a human head, the google is inside the helmet brim and the helmet is protected by the gear bag and boots on either side. Plus I don't intend to throw the boot bag around. I have a giro helmet and bag it came with is soft touch fleece like.
If you've lost your helmet bag, you should be able to find people selling them on eBay for about $10. You might have to be creative with your search to filter out motorcycle and bicycle helmet bags as they maybe too big or too small.

My perspective on goggles is that they are a consumable wear item. So while I try to protect them, I know they will get used up. Damage more likely from freezing rain/freezing fog or fall/crashes, than from within the bag.
I don't buy super expensive current year ones, but stock up when there are deals on closeout models, I have a couple new pairs in reserve.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I always use the bag the goggles came in, and then (this is the important part) PUT THE BAGGED GOGGLES INSIDE THE HELMET. The helmet protects the goggles.

Bagged goggles inside of helmet.
Gloves and beanie on top of goggles (inside helmet).
Helmet full of goggles and soft gloves and beanie inside of boot bag in top compartment.
Get it home and disassemble for drying out.

Leaving the goggles on the outside of the helmet and then trying to protect them with a soft covering is a recipe for disaster. Put them inside the helmet. Let the helmet do its protective function.
This. I'm not entirely sure what the OP is trying to achieve but it sounds overengineered. It's not good to leave your goggles round the outside of the helmet anyway as the strap elastic gets buggered longer term.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I also use helmet bag in the gear bag, and leave goggles in position. Without a human head, the google is inside the helmet brim so is slightly protected from direct drops. Plus I don't intend to throw the gear bag around. I have a giro helmet and bag it came with is soft touch fleece like.

Aftermarket over-helmet hoods are even better than bags- one can fold the lower part in around the goggle.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aftermarket over-helmet hoods are even better than bags- one can fold the lower part in around the goggle.
Interesting idea, but my alternate goggles and lens goes in the middle of the helmet, a la pchewn, so i like the drawstring bag to keep it all together

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I use the goggle soc too. I've never had it come off. For storage...bag that came with the goggles, then I have a Salomon hard case with a zipper. If I'm packing for a trip. Inside the bag, inside the helmet too.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I pull my goggles off and put them in a hard case when in storage. To do what you are wanting, Id take an old terry or microfiber cloth and just wrap it around the goggles and let the tension from the strap hold it in place.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Or stuff the goggles in a thick sock. I agree, save the strap, take the goggles off the helmet.

Why do goggle makers sell replacement lenses but refuse to sell replacement straps? I needed a Smith strap...a couple of springs ago I was in a shop having its spring sale and saw some cheap discounted Smith goggles with the strap I needed. I bought them, harvested the strap, tossed the goggles, and put that strap on my very good Smiths. Success!

SuzSkis

Putting on skis
Skier
I use the goggle soc too. I've never had it come off. For storage...bag that came with the goggles, then I have a Salomon hard case with a zipper. If I'm packing for a trip. Inside the bag, inside the helmet too.
I too keep the goggle bag and use it. I also use a goggle sock for the exterior. The issue I've experienced a couple of times is the inside of the lens getting scratched by the plastic sizing adjustment thingies on the elastic strap. That is when I started putting a soft cloth (a neck gaiter or glasses cleaning cloth) inside the goggles before putting them in the bag. Then they go inside the helmet in my gear bag.

Sponsor

Staff online