• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Yet another noob asking questions about which boots and skis to buy (or should I just rent?)

RelaxedNinja

Booting up
Skier
Quick stats:

-Skied a total of 5 times in my life, over the last 8 years (3 half-day outings, 2 short trips to Steamboat Springs and Winter Park in 2018-2019).
-Basic guidance / hand-holding from a friend, but never an actual lesson yet.
-Done some longer greens and a single blue in the past, but not since 2019
-Still don't have much confidence, obviously not skiing/turning parallel, but at least I can pull out some sloppy turns without falling.
-178cm tall
-200 lbs (but cutting weight back down to 175ish over the next few months
-Want to enjoy the short time left in this season with a trip to Belleayre Mountain, but will get a '22-'23 season pass.
-Will take a private lesson (or lessons) asap.

I thought about renting, but now considering just getting some inexpensive gear to learn on for at least the next season or two, in order to see if I catch the bug.

I tried on a pair of Salomon at the local shop (Mt. Everest in North Jersey), 26.5 mondo / 70 flex. They were snug but fine to walk around in, toes weren't cramped, heel didn't slide, etc. $183 on sale.

For inexpensive skis, they mentioned Fischer RC Trend ($188) as an acceptable beginner model that I can work with for a while, however didn't have anything smaller than 170cm which they thought might be too big for now.

Questions:

1. If the boot felt good, is that good enough to start with?
2. Are those skis in fact too long for me, or fine?
3. Is it simply not wise to buy any gear at this point, but instead just rent?

Thanks much,

-Rishi

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
To roll all 3 questions into a one word answer -BOOTS. Invest there by seeing a good bootfitter who will get you in a well fit boot that is right for your ability level. Then rent skis for a bit while you progress - start shorter and increase the length as you progress. The boots are the key; not the skis. Salespeople are not bootfitters. Where are you located? It’s likely someone here can recommend a fitter in your area.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To roll all 3 questions into a one word answer -BOOTS. Invest there by seeing a good bootfitter who will get you in a well fit boot that is right for your ability level. Then rent skis for a bit while you progress - start shorter and increase the length as you progress. The boots are the key; not the skis. Salespeople are not bootfitters. Where are you located? It’s likely someone here can recommend a fitter in your area.
Agree 1000%!!! All about the boots..not a whole lot else matters at this point. Go see a reputable fitter and let them know what your goals are they will help you get you into a good boot. Skis you could rent for a bit or pick up a used pair that will help you start the learning process but nothing happens without good fitting, appropriate boots for your size, shape and ability level. I will tell you that a 70 flex boot sounds way too soft for a guy your size..but that is neither here nor there...a fitter will get you into the correct boot. This is the way.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Go to that great bootfitter next September. Buy at the September sales where they have the full stock of new and left over boots at good prices. You're more likely to get what is right for you than just what they need to get off their shelves. Stock in boots and skis is unusually low this year. Wait for September.

Get good used skis for the first year or two. Give us your height, weight, and general condition. We can make some suggestions of what to get. (And, 70 flex boots are probably too soft unless you're in 9th grade.)

TS
R

RelaxedNinja

Booting up
Skier
I'm in North Jersey, Bergen county. Are the intricacies of a proper boot really that important for a beginner? How much would such a boot cost if I went to a fitter?

I'm looking to get on the slopes either this week or next at the latest...so just rent for now?

Height and weight are up in the original post...around 195-200lbs (but I'm getting back in shape now and will lose at least 20 lbs quickly) and 178cm in height.

45 yo, not conditioned now, but will get back to lifting and running 10-15 miles a week.

Thanks for all the responses so far. But damn...

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Are the intricacies of a proper boot really that important for a beginner? How much would such a boot cost if I went to a fitter?
You asked for advice and got it, supported strongly by another person. Follow it.

If you go to a place like Ski Barn in Wayne, bootfitting is likely included in the cost of purchase, which will be full retail on the boots.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't rush it and buy something you'll be tossing in a year or two, that's a common rookie mistake in this sport. Either go to a reputable boot fitter now and pay some more to get it right, or you might as well use rental gear for the time or two you'll be going the rest of this season.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
The problem with getting boots without a bootfitter is that boots that “feel good” stand a strong chance of being the wrong ones. It’s paradoxical but it’s true.

I would be surprised if those were the correct boots for you. Inventory is so low right now that the sales people can only choose a pair that’s on the wall, and can’t choose a pair that’s ideal for you.

Not to mention that the sales people are not bootfitters. It does make a difference. It will cost more than $183. And it will be worth it.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Yes. It is that important. Go to a good boot fitter. If you go now, you might end up with boots before your trip, but more likely the boot fitter will tell you what boot he would put you in if he had them in stock and tell you to come back in September. I know because it happened to me, but the bootfitter DID fix up my old boots for the interim period. The fix bought me another two years on the old favorites.

Skis: having your own skis and boots is worth it if only for the convenience of avoiding the rental process. If you don't have your own boots to go along with those skis, then rental boots can be problematic, and since you're in line anyway, you don't gain much. When I needed to rent boots on vacation because my boots were still having some problems getting fitted (a work in progress), I just went in and quickly rented my size (27.5 ski boots 11 US boot size). Most bindings are adjustable and not needing to fill in the extra forms for the bindings made it easier to get through the line. However, if you don't have boots, it's not that big a deal to add on skis. The savings is more in terms of time than money and not worth the money if you bought the wrong skis.

I cannot tell you anything about the RC Trend skis, sorry. 170 cm is not too long to start on for 180 - 200 lbs, and since you are heavier than the average skier you will need a ski with a bit more strength than the average beginner ski (in terms of bending and torsion resistance). Skis with more beef ARE less forgiving, so don't go out and buy a 2nd hand race ski.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
5'8" and (let's be generous and say) 185lbs adult- a 70 flex boot is way, way, way too soft for you. You'd need to replace it after a lesson or two and a few days of skiing... but you probably won't, so it will stunt your growth as a skier. It's a bad investment. Rent for the rest of the season and buy 'proper' intermediate (or better) level gear you can progress with, you'll enjoy the sport a lot more with gear that enhances the experience.

TS
R

RelaxedNinja

Booting up
Skier
You asked for advice and got it, supported strongly by another person. Follow it.

If you go to a place like Ski Barn in Wayne, bootfitting is likely included in the cost of purchase, which will be full retail on the boots.

Message received. :)

By the way, has anyone heard of Mt. Everest in Westwood NJ? They are mentioned on a search page at bootfitters dot com. That's where I went yesterday, so if they are reputable in this specialty, that would be helpful. I might go back again today.

I can head over to Ski Barn in Wayne. I visited their location in Paramus yesterday as well, but didn't discuss this kind of boot detail per se.

If I do end up renting, I suppose it's better to do it at one of my local shops like Mt. Everest? Saves time, a little money, and maybe they do a better job of fitting as compared to the lodge up at Belleayre?

Thanks again.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I'm familiar with Mt. Everest - good reputation as far as I know. Renting at the shop rather than on the mountain is a good idea. The only hitch is if something isn't working, you can't ski down to the mountain's shop to change it out.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
5'8" and (let's be generous and say) 185lbs adult- a 70 flex boot is way, way, way too soft for you. You'd need to replace it after a lesson or two and a few days of skiing... but you probably won't, so it will stunt your growth as a skier. It's a bad investment. Rent for the rest of the season and buy 'proper' intermediate (or better) level gear you can progress with, you'll enjoy the sport a lot more with gear that enhances the experience.
+++

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Message received. :)

That's great! We would hate to beat you up for 4 or 5 pages of posts!

Nobody wants to hear that those sale boots won't be the best choice. Nobody wants to hear that you should probably wait until the fall and see a real bootfitter (make an appointment) and pay more. It's just cheaper (and much happier) in the long run.

TS
R

RelaxedNinja

Booting up
Skier
So, is it possible that I can walk into a place like Ski Barn and possibly get a proper fitting and walk out with the pair that's right for me? Or do I definitely need a specific boot fitting appointment?

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
So, is it possible that I can walk into a place like Ski Barn and possibly get a proper fitting and walk out with the pair that's right for me? Or do I definitely need a specific boot fitting appointment?

If by some chance, the bootfitter isn't busy, it would be possible. Much smarter to make an appointment. And remember, their inventory won't have all the possible boots now. For buying, next fall is WAY better.

Every shop I know of is dramatically short of inventory. I visited a couple on the mountain at Stowe this week, and they all complained of the same thing. It looked like a lot of inventory compared to what's left at my shop (in the lower Hudson Valley), which is 3 or 4 pairs of boots. Not models, pairs. We couldn't obtain any more boots (or anything) beyond what were ordered last year. Almost nothing came in except our original orders (placed late last winter or early spring). Supply chain. It's not a good year to be buying late.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait until next fall.

I know, I am the excited, want to go all in now, type of person too.

But, you don’t know what boots should and should not feel like.
even if the bootfitter happened to have the perfect boot for you, you still would wonder.

Stock is truly low right now. It’s always low in spring, but it has been super low this year due to covid supply issues.

Go in the fall, and try on several. Even if you end up with the first boot the fitter grabs for you, it will give you an education of how different boots feel on your feet.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly, unless you know you will start skiing more in the future I think you should keep renting. Fitted boots are nice and for some essential, but from your description I don’t think you are there yet. If in your situation, I would purchase equipment at a later stage if I “caught the bug”.
If you want to spend money at this stage, start with fitted boots.

Sponsor

Staff online