• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You can't make this stuff up: Crazy stories ripped from the headlines

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Interesting. For decades pods from spy satellites were caught by helicopter or plane. The US had one unit in the Caribbean and one in Hawaii assigned to that task. Possibly more. This went on well into the 90’s.
Before digital photos, satellite photos were taken on film. At least with military surveillance photos, that film was highly classified as it was very thin and high resolution.
At some point the film would be released on a pod which after re-entry would parachute down. The parachutes were caught like they’re doing in that Rocket Lab project, though I assume those are much heavier.
I once flew into that tracking range in Hawaii where this likely occurred. The helicopter we were on made a strange snapping noise so we stopped there for unscheduled repairs. If we knew now what we didn't know then none of us would have gotten back onboard. It was the 3rd oldest helo in the Navy, not even a production model but a prototype and the other two had already crashed. :geek:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Not birds and not funny for those involved. Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park 6 or 8 years ago. An older billy mountain goat injured several tourists and killed one. They were not harassing the goat, he apparently decided that a particular trail was his.

It did not work out well for the goat either.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Not birds and not funny for those involved. Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park 6 or 8 years ago. An older billy mountain goat injured several tourists and killed one. They were not harassing the goat, he apparently decided that a particular trail was his.

It did not work out well for the goat either.
The goats have been a problem for years. They are an invasive species to the Olympics, but not to the Cascades, so over the years they've tried capturing them and moving them to the North Cascades. I remember them doing it in the late 70s and noticed that they were at it again a few years ago. They won't sanction a hunt in the National Park where they live, so they're stuck with them.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
There's lots of shorter articles about this, but none with many pictures. The videographer needs to do some editing, but this insanity went on for days. The house movers left pieces of the house all over, knocked over mailboxes, took out the power for 100 people, and blocked people going to work.

Hot 107.9: Videos Show House Being Moved Illegally Through Cane Fields.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Not ripped from news but absurd.

We pulled into a Petaluma gas station 2 days ago with some trouble as a huge bus sized RV was partly blocking the entrance.
It soon pulled out and we just had to look at the pump what they paid for fuel.

Pump showed $687 for 100 gallons of Diesel.

WTH. They could stay in the most expensive hotel in NYC, LA, or where ever they were going and get room service meals for that price ! !
:eek::doh::huh::eek:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Not ripped from news but absurd.

We pulled into a Petaluma gas station 2 days ago with some trouble as a huge bus sized RV was partly blocking the entrance.
It soon pulled out and we just had to look at the pump what they paid for fuel.

Pump showed $687 for 100 gallons of Diesel.

WTH. They could stay in the most expensive hotel in NYC, LA, or where ever they were going and get room service meals for that price ! !
OTOH, 100 gallons of diesel for $687 will allow the RV to travel 800-1000 miles and take 2 days (AND 2 nights). I'm pretty sure that these days the most expensive hotel in NYC or LA is way more than $343.50/night. :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Not even close.

1654375254214.png

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Just parking the bus would cost the $687.
Not entirely sure you could park a huge RV overnight in midtown for $687...Hunter's Point, maybe

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Two people rescued from a large chocolate tank in Hershey PA. Rescue workers had to cut a large hole in the side of the giant chocolate tank in order to free the two people. The two people were not hurt.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
"I yelled, 'Fire!'"

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I would have guessed it was chocolate syrup but who knows. Not CNN for sure.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Two people rescued from a large chocolate tank in Hershey PA. Rescue workers had to cut a large hole in the side of the giant chocolate tank in order to free the two people. The two people were not hurt.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I read elsewhere it was dry chocolate, just in case anyone was thinking they were treading "water".

I would have guessed it was chocolate syrup but who knows. Not CNN for sure.
If its anything like construction dry is worse to get out of.
And its easier to suffocate from dry content than wet.

Example: if you fall into a tank of liquid, whether its water, oil or something else, you can tread to stay above it.
If its dry, treading motion often makes you go deeper and when you breathe out, the dry material collapses in around your chest and it gets harder and harder to breath back in because the dry material won't expand like liquid (Sand, grain, chocolate powder, or other)
It will be interesting to see if more details come out.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Wet or dry the possibility of 'death by chocolate' sounds like the basis for a Monty Python skit.
Humorous, if it is not you; frightening if it is.

Sponsor

Staff online