• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your voice is *better* for sound location - and here's why.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is fascinating but I'm trying to figure out the context as it relates to the biking area.
Can you give some context?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This is fascinating but I'm trying to figure out the context as it relates to the biking area.
Can you give some context?

Bike bells ring - and constitute the sort of sound that the brain has trouble *reliably* direction finding.

No one has a voice that can say 'passing', 'on your left' or 'coming through' without variation in tone. Therefore the voice is better than a bell.

There were posts on this issue here.

And @AmyPJ posted similar sentiment here.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an embarrassing quiver of bicycles. Only one is without a bell, and I've been riding it lately and notice that people respond more accurately to my voice. No confused gazing around in multiple directions like I often see when using a bell, especially in the woods.

Makes me wonder if just saying "ding ding" is the best bell in many circumstances?!

But I tend to only do that when I actually see somebody on the trail. With the bell, I ring it for darn near every blind corner.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the good part about a bell, at least the Timber Bell, is it rings fairly constantly as long as the surface is bumpy like in most mtb riding. Other bells require you to *see* the other person then ring the bell. At least with the Timber Bell someone may be looking to see where it's coming from. Going around a blind corner and seeing someone last second isn't enough time to give warning.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How many times have you said "On your left" and the person you are trying to overtake moves to the left?
Much like driving, I don't think I've ever actually overtaken anyone. :roflmao:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How many times have you said "On your left" and the person you are trying to overtake moves to the left?
Every frickin time! I've started just yelling "rider behind" and going to whichever side they don't go to. If they have a small child, the kid will usually just freeze in the middle of the path and stares at you no matter what you say. When I see that I just slow down more than usual when passing.

I did buy a bell last week too. So I'll add that to the mix now.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It takes a while to perceive that someone whom you didn't even know was there is talking to you. Maybe by the time you realize it, all you catch is the last word: "left." PLUS, if you've turned around to face the speaker, his left is now your right.

Just thinking aloud about this situation.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
It takes a while to perceive that someone whom you didn't even know was there is talking to you. Maybe by the time you realize it, all you catch is the last word: "left." PLUS, if you've turned around to face the speaker, his left is now your right.

Just thinking aloud about this situation.
Bikes have mirrors? I'm not sure why I would turn around to look at someone behind me.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Why worry about the voice or bell? You have eyes in to front to avoid things (people) in front of you, and you should be aware and not make to many hasty moves to surprise those coming up behind you.

Me I like to make surprise moves to keep those coming up from behind from getting complacent :ogcool:.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bikes have mirrors? I'm not sure why I would turn around to look at someone behind me.
Mountain bikes and their riders generally don't have mirrors. In any case the scenario I was imagining was coming up behind walkers in the trail.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online