• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

12 Volt Emergency Flat Tire Inflator, Suggestions/Recommendations?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We're about to acquire a car that has no spare, no space for a spare, etc. It was designed and sold originally with run-flats which are an absolute "non starter" for us. Not a fan of the performance, and truth be told, they can only be run flat for a short distance before being destroyed, in most cases.

So this car has great road tires {non road flats}, and it will have a set of dedicated winter tires{already have the wheels.} We often drive through some pretty remote parts of New England, at non busy hours {late night, for one}. Places where even cell service to call AAA are spotty at best.

My plan is to store a couple of cans of sealer, like "Slime" aboard, and now I'm in the market for an inflator. I don't need a commercial set-up, and it needs to be fairly small. I've been reading reviews of some....like the Slime line up...and so many get really poor reviews. As it total failure after using it once. Or motors burning out after 8 minutes. Etc.

This place is always a wealth of somewhat obscure knowledge. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
ARB makes what are probably the best compressors. Lots of off-roaders use them. However, they are a bit bigger and $$$. Viair would be the next choice and they have options more suited to passenger cars. You could also go with one of the 18 or 20v battery operated inflator but then you have to remember to have a charged battery.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In the dirt cheap 12V lighter/accessory power category - currently own two FORTEMs https://gofortem.com/digital-tire-inflator-fortem-auto-pump-shut-off/ with 3 seasons on the older unit. Better heat management than the dollar store units they replaced, super-convenient pressure indicator and shut-off feature, valve head seems relatively robust and still seals well. Inflates everything from wheelbarrow wheels to yoga balls (don't laugh - yoga balls make great cheap kayak/canoe reserve floats)

Faster than the dollar store pulse pump but still not fast - can not set a loose bead.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have this one which combined with a high quality separate gauge keeps a set of high performance tires accurately inflated in the safety, comfort and hopefully low viral load of my garage. It does have its own on -board gauge which seems to be reasonably accurate. I haven’t used the 12V connection but it ought to work fine for your application.

4CB88459-34D4-4F7F-97E3-A0A4DC0F02FE.jpeg

2B819EAD-F8BE-4FB5-BF97-C386B164F157.jpeg

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been very happy with the Viair 84P

There are other smaller and larger versions, also with direct clips to be applied to the battery, if wanted. I'm on my second inflator (one was stolen out of my car). Good balance between cost/capability. I looked up online reviews and Viair came up in multiple searches, being about the only one to do so.

I also learned first hand about how the 50 miles at 50 mph capability of run-flats is total fiction about two years ago, so your plan seems solid. I might suggest that you look into getting a plug kit to carry with you as well.

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I do a lot of airing down and up my tires for off-roading. I have a couple of air compressors for varying purposes.

If you're talking about emergencies only or occasionally adjust pressures, I keep an EPAuto in each of my three vehicles.
Positives:
  • super easy to use
  • affordable ($29)
  • lightweight
  • portable
  • runs off 12V outlet
Negatives:
  • slow vs a heavy duty
  • will overheat and temporarily shut-off if you try to inflate 4 light trucks tires that have been substantially aired down
If you'll be regularly airing up and down truck tires (and you won't be), then you'll want to go up a level. I have a SuperFlow HD for this purpose that I keep with my off-roading gear.
Positives:
  • Enough power for heavier truck tires
  • High flow rate. Will inflate a light truck tire from low pressure in a couple of minutes.
Negatives:
  • heavier than you would expect possible for a tire inflator (15 lbs)
  • requires opening your hood and connecting directly to the battery terminals since it draws too much power for a dash 12V outlet
  • expensive ($200)

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I might suggest that you look into getting a plug kit to carry with you as well.
This is solid advice that I have not taken myself. I regret that I've not purchased a plug kit or learned to use it. I should do this next time I get a flat.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
For one off, occasional use just throw your bike pump in the trunk and call it good! It takes a while plus you get an abdominal and arm workout for free, but it is the simplest, lightest, cheapest, option for most people.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been happy with my Slime tire inflator, i've had for 10 years. Nice and compact... the gauge isn't that accurate though.

But, now, I need a 110V one for my hybrid, hopefully compact enough to store under the floor in the extra compartment

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I'm not sure I understand the need.

This "inflator" is only going to be used in rare occasion when you got a nail in the tire, right? Just about anything on the market should do that easily. But if the damage to the tire is substantial, you can't get it to hold air so no point in inflating it fast, or repeatedly.

Or I'm missing some important context?

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
But, now, I need a 110V one for my hybrid, hopefully compact enough to store under the floor in the extra compartment
I don't understand... why do you need a 110V? You'll get more power out of the 12V DC than any car's 110V outlet. And I believe that all hybrids and EV's also have a 12V electrical system. I know our PHEV has a 12V battery and system, even though the powertrain does not need it.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't understand... why do you need a 110V? You'll get more power out of the 12V DC than any car's 110V outlet. And I believe that all hybrids and EV's also have a 12V electrical system. I know our PHEV has a 12V battery and system, even though the powertrain does not need it.
Because Toyota didn't put a 12V cigarette lighter in the cargo compartment of my car, just a 1500W 110V outlet.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This "inflator" is only going to be used in rare occasion when you got a nail in the tire, right? Just about anything on the market should do that easily. But if the damage to the tire is substantial, you can't get it to hold air so no point in inflating it fast, or repeatedly.

Or I'm missing some important context?
Yes.

If the tire bead is unseated on the rim, you absolutely need either fast or a built in pressure-tank. Plenty of unpaved roads in, say, Vermont, can suck the bead off the rim if the tire is underinflated. Especially in mud spring skiing season.

If the Slime sealant isn't perfect - and, for example, cold tire sealant is a known problem - then re-inflation can absolutely be necessary. Especially if the tire is not in a size available in any given rural service station. Imagine being in the NEK and the closest tire in that size is in Boston suburbia.

Last edited:

Spam16v

Zac
Skier

Friend of mine locally designs and sells these. Pretty sure he’s 100% US Made or working towards it the best he can. Covid has been a real prick for getting the latest batch made and available. Anyways, here’s my plug for the little guy trying to do the right thing.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As stated above, the 110V is going to limit your chocies; I think there is some misunderstanding of how this is going to be used.

These all come with long cords for power that you have to deploy. You bring the compressor with you from tire to tire, it isn't going to be mounted to your cargo area.
Often the more powerful units also have clamps to use from the starter battery itself; so both cigarette or 110v outlets are meaningless; and you connect from under the hood anyway.

If for some reason this still hasn't cleared things up and you still feel you need to power from the cargo area and the 110v outlet there; here are 2 more points:
You can also easily get a 110v-12v adapter for $10.
The 12V will be more handy should you need to take it with you in an alternate car or lend to someone.

Anyway, for the poll; i personally have a viaair 8[somethng]. It's an older model no longer for sale, but was less than $100 from amazon.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
As stated above, the 110V is going to limit your chocies; I think there is some misunderstanding of how this is going to be used.

These all come with long cords for power that you have to deploy. You bring the compressor with you from tire to tire, it isn't going to be mounted to your cargo area.
Often the more powerful units also have clamps to use from the starter battery itself; so both cigarette or 110v outlets are meaningless; and you connect from under the hood anyway.

If for some reason this still hasn't cleared things up and you still feel you need to power from the cargo area and the 110v outlet there; here are 2 more points:
You can also easily get a 110v-12v adapter for $10.
The 12V will be more handy should you need to take it with you in an alternate car or lend to someone.

Anyway, for the poll; i personally have a viaair 8[somethng]. It's an older model no longer for sale, but was less than $100 from amazon.
The 12V cord isn't going to reach the back wheels from the dashboard, when you have a midsize SUV or larger.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
My plan is to store a couple of cans of sealer, like "Slime" aboard, and now I'm in the market for an inflator. I don't need a commercial set-up, and it needs to be fairly small. I've been reading reviews of some....like the Slime line up...and so many get really poor reviews. As it total failure after using it once. Or motors burning out after 8 minutes. Etc.
Careful with Slime, does the car have TPMS? Are the sensors ok with a sealant?

I've also got a Viair compressor, had it for a few years now and would recommend. 84P I believe.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The 12V cord isn't going to reach the back wheels from the dashboard, when you have a midsize SUV or larger.
yes it does. at least mine did, when you buy from viaair or company targeting car/offroad market-it's super long cord.

mine goes from driverside under the hood all the way ro rear passenger tire and my vehicle is 200in long. and also used on my friend's minivan reaching all 4tires which is even longer than that.

If this is the sticky point, you can also just get a 12v extension cord as a solution.

Last edited:

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
yes it does. at least mine did, when you buy from viaair or company targeting car/offroad market-it's super long cord.

mine goes from driverside under the hood all the way ro rear passenger tire and my vehicle is 200in long. and also used on my friend's minivan reaching all 4tires which is even longer than that.

If this is the sticky point, you can also just get a 12v extension cord as a solution.
Mine does too. I can definitely reach the rear wheels of my Silverado from the dash

Sponsor

Staff online