• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

12 Volt Emergency Flat Tire Inflator, Suggestions/Recommendations?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Are we overlooking the obvious fix a flat can? I keep two in every vehicle. Sure, a plug kit and actual compressor is a permanent fix solution. Regardless, I've had some pretty gnarly multiple nail flats where two cans of fix a flat got me 50 miles to the tire shop and probably could have gone days if needed.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The downside of Fix a Flat,:

Many tireshops will refuse to patch/plug a tire if you used fix-a-flat and will consider the tire ruined. Even if fixaflat says it can be safely cleaned up, the tire shop is not going to do it.
They may also charge a substantial extra fee to cleanup your wheel even to replace with a new tire.
It can also ruin the TPMS which is yet another cost.

If you got out of the tireshop after using fix-a-flat without incurring substantial extra fees; you may have gotten lucky.

Of course in an emergency you need to do what you need to do.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Not quite what you asked for, but we use it in our Rally pits.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes.

If the tire bead is unseated on the rim, you absolutely need either fast or a built in pressure-tank. Plenty of unpaved roads in, say, Vermont, can suck the bead off the rim if the tire is underinflated. Especially in mud spring skiing season.

If the Slime sealant isn't perfect - and, for example, cold tire sealant is a known problem - then re-inflation can absolutely be necessary. Especially if the tire is not in a size available in any given rural service station. Imagine being in the NEK and the closest tire in that size is in Boston suburbia.
Ether and a lighter. :)

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to avoid crapping up a TMPS sensor, as best I can. Sensors are cheap. Car is a BMW wagon. Amazes me that there is no well to fit even a donut. Any thoughts on fix a flat versus Slime, or another product? I still want a compressor….a small quality unit.

Appreciate the ideas.

I can basically 50+ miles from anywhere on winter weekends. I mean anywhere. And more like 150 to a decent tire store or BMW dealer. Not that this car will EVER see a dealership!

Thanks again.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
V I Air compressor of choice and a couple cans of fix-a-flat. Heck, I've had slow leaks that I "topped off" every day or so on vacation, until we drove past a tire store.

Any reputable tire shop will take care of you with goop in your tire, especially if you let them know about the goop before they dig in.

I've worked the dickens out of our VI Air over the year re-inflating Sprinter and RV tires when we finish with the rough, unpaved roads, and return to pavement. Never a wimper from it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The industry has been going away from spare ties for awhile now. Money to be made in services.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any 12volt tire inflator will work but most are mind numbingly slow. I do carry a tire plug kit in all of my cars that don’t have a spare tire. Fortunately I cannot vouch for how well they work.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Any 12volt tire inflator will work but most are mind numbingly slow. I do carry a tire plug kit in all of my cars that don’t have a spare tire. Fortunately I cannot vouch for how well they work.
If the tire pops off the rim, most 12 volt compressors won't push enough air to pop it back on the rim.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Those patch kits generally work very well for nail/screw punctures. Key is be patient and clean (ream) out the hole prior to installing the plug. Secret sauce is some rubber cement. It lubricates the plug while going in and seals the really minor air leaks. Give it few minutes to set prior to pressuring the tire. PVC pipe glue works real well too.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Those patch kits generally work very well for nail/screw punctures. Key is be patient and clean (ream) out the hole prior to installing the plug. Secret sauce is some rubber cement. It lubricates the plug while going in and seals the really minor air leaks. Give it few minutes to set prior to pressuring the tire. PVC pipe glue works real well too.
The plugs are usually pretty gooey so are pretty much self sealing, IME but adding some glue can’t hurt.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The downside of Fix a Flat,:

Many tireshops will refuse to patch/plug a tire if you used fix-a-flat and will consider the tire ruined. Even if fixaflat says it can be safely cleaned up, the tire shop is not going to do it.
They may also charge a substantial extra fee to cleanup your wheel even to replace with a new tire.
It can also ruin the TPMS which is yet another cost.

If you got out of the tireshop after using fix-a-flat without incurring substantial extra fees; you may have gotten lucky.

Of course in an emergency you need to do what you need to do.
TPMS has been an issue, extra $40. When you're flat on the side of the road in the dark with no cell signal and your car is full of gear on top of the jack and spare (if you even have a spare) fix a flat is a hands down winner for me. In that situation IDGAFlip if the TPMS might need replacing. Used the cans about 4-5 times this century, last time in 2019 and the tire shop was super nice. Tire was wrecked, hit a board full of nails so no plugging it. Never had an issue with them plugging one hole after the goo was used. Again though for a super fast and easy way to get to a safe location from the middle of nowhere I'm going to use the can every time before digging out a jack or calling roadside and waiting an hour..

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive

The link includes every kit sold on Amazon. Do you have one that you’d recommend? Or anybody else? Thanks.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
What about a spare tire carrier? Probably need to find a welder to do a custom fab.

It’s a mint 3 series wagon. My third, sixth in the family. Not sure how this would possibly work. Or how ugly it would be. I’m sure it would be effective.

One part of the equation is that I have full sized spares, unidirectional all season at home, at the ski and summer places. Both are about 225 miles from home.

Sponsor