• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't skied the Curv, but generally love every Fischer I ski (currently on Ranger 115 XTi for soft days).

I own the Titans, and the ONLY thing wrong with them is that they stop the series at 177.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
These reviews and following comments make me wonder if I will ever get a ski that really 'clicks' for me.

With the variations from mounting point, binding, tuning, age of the ski, delta/ramp?, and variation in manufacturing/materials, I wonder if any two skis with the same label would ever actually ski the same... How consistent can a ski be with all of these parameters? Are there types of skis that are inherently more sensitive to these things?

I only get 6-10 days per year on average at resorts and don't have a shop I trust that can troubleshoot a ski - tweaks to tune, binding, mount point, etc are not feasible.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
These reviews and following comments make me wonder if I will ever get a ski that really 'clicks' for me.

With the variations from mounting point, binding, tuning, age of the ski, delta/ramp?, and variation in manufacturing/materials, I wonder if any two skis with the same label would ever actually ski the same... How consistent can a ski be with all of these parameters? Are there types of skis that are inherently more sensitive to these things?

I only get 6-10 days per year on average at resorts and don't have a shop I trust that can troubleshoot a ski - tweaks to tune, binding, mount point, etc are not feasible.
There's a lot to be said for the old adage, "ignorance is bliss". Think how many people get a ski and ski it, and have fun skiing it, without knowing all parameters you've mentioned. The more you know, the more you tend to overthink. There are so many good skis in every category it really is hard to get a terrible, or even bad, ski. Luckily, there are many good reviews on this site that don't necessarily compare skis or rank them but give a quick "who are they for, who are they not for". That's a great place to start.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

System skis. Some skis come with bindings out of the box. And they remove a lot of those variables (except from tuning issues, or people moving bindings off-center, etc). AFAICT, most of the time, system skis are also beginner skis. But not always. The Supershape series by Head uses system bindings. And perhaps due to that, there are extremely consistent reviews and opinions on those, at least here in Pugski (or when I talk to people on the lift :).

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I get confused by the various Curv models:
RC4 the Curv
Curv GT
Curv Ti
Curv DTX

Need to figure that out. Gets even more complicated for some folks when they try to figure out the four Head SuperShape models {I.speed, Rally, Magnum, Titan}

I'm sure all great skis. Lots of them!

Yellow, green, red and blue :)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Keeping the Head lineup straight is reasonable easy. Yep, four SuperShape models. Of course then you have the i.Race SuperShape, the i.Race rebels, the i.Race Pro Rebels. Then I have have dozens of people ask me to explain the differences between the four SuperShape models. Then we have a FIS SL, a non FIS SL, a ski like the i.Race. It gets confusing for many, and many shops do not have them all on the wall. Then we have the multitude of posts every year on "what length Rally should I buy?" {or Magnum, or Titan, or i.Race}. Which confuses things. HaHa. For women, discussing the Joy line {other than the SJ} gets confusing without knowing the waist of the various models.

I have a family member who's become affiliated with Fischer, and commented that "I'll see if I can get you a pair of Curv's". Guessing 175cm Curv GT's will arrive.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I went to Skirack in Burlington last week, and the skinniest ski on their wall was a Navigator 85. Maybe comparisons like this don't even matter. People should be buyng these skis, but apparently other than ski instructors, nobody is. I wonder how many Curvs Fischer sells. Super shapes have been around a long time, but I wonder how many of those they sell too.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went to Skirack in Burlington last week, and the skinniest ski on their wall was a Navigator 85. Maybe comparisons like this don't even matter. People should be being these skis, but apparently other than ski instructors, nobody is. I wonder how many Curvs Fischer sells. Super shapes have been around a long time, but I wonder how many of those they sell too.

True enough. I primarily ski three places: Mt. Hood Meadows -- full of wide skis, Jackson Hole -- full of wide skis, and Sun Valley -- where I believe 90% of the narrow carvers imported to the U.S.A. are sold. They are all over the place at Sun Valley.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Valley -- where I believe 90% of the narrow carvers imported to the U.S.A. are sold.

Well THAT seems unlikely. ogwink

Hyperbole aside, it's interesting. I wonder if there is also a generational component to this. Sun Valley == older skiers, narrow skis == older skiers, Sun Valley == narrow skis. Possibly? I've never been there, though considering an MTB trip for the summer.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Hyperbole aside, it's interesting. I wonder if there is also a generational component to this. Sun Valley == older skiers, narrow skis == older skiers, Sun Valley == narrow skis. Possibly? I've never been there, though considering an MTB trip for the summer.
You think it's more? ;)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Generational to a point, although the race "side" of the mountain is filled with kids on weekends, going about a hundred miles an hour, laying down perfect carved tracks. It is a joy to behold.

MTB trip to the SV area? Go, in September, anytime after Labor Day week. Beautiful leaves and scenery, with cool starts to the day. Empty.

Skiing also. You don't go to SV counting on powder (but we all hope, right?!) but I definitely HAVE had the two best corn weeks of my life there in March. Endless fall lines of groomed or bumped corn. Again, empty by mid-March.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hyperbole aside, it's interesting. I wonder if there is also a generational component to this. Sun Valley == older skiers, narrow skis == older skiers, Sun Valley == narrow skis. Possibly?

After skiing Sun Valley few seasons ago, I remember saying to myself, bring the race skis next time. :cool:

Some decent off piste stuff but the 3,400 vertical of relentless groomers needed race skis.
And yes, I can do groomers. :D

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you do groomers...I don't think that was ever the question. ;)

We have had folks complained about us hanging out in the bumps all day. So just want to let folks around here know that we do wander out to the groomer on occasion. Lest they think we are one trick ponies. :D

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After skiing Sun Valley few seasons ago, I remember saying to myself, bring the race skis next time. :cool:

Some decent off piste stuff but the 3,400 vertical of relentless groomers needed race skis.
And yes, I can do groomers. :D

So... There is a generational component.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So... There is a generational component.

Nice back handed way of calling me old. :nono:
We all belong to one generation or another. Young or old.

IIRC, I was on a pair of Kendo the first day (88 mm). Took out a pair of race ski from the 2nd day onward. So It seems like I grew old and the skis went skinny after we arrived. Must be something in the water. :rolleyes: :cool:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Nice back handed way of calling me old. :nono:
We all belong to one generation or another. Young or old.

IIRC, I was on a pair of Kendo the first day (88 mm). Took out a pair of race ski from the 2nd day onward. So It seems like I grew old and the skis went skinny after we arrived. Must be something in the water. :rolleyes: :cool:

I can relate. Looks like I will get some SV time in this winter. Thinking I should have something besides the 100's on that hill. :beercheer:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Loved my Cloud 11's at SV.. (not my tracks I just liked the cord)
12628527_10206939028825654_3202744888917745139_o.jpg

14650505_10209037232079424_4982350011801883724_n.jpg

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online