• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another glorious day in winter park. Spring skiing at its best, this afternoon in the 40’s, snow is great girls skiing in bikini tops, guys in shorts, snowboards in their fun outfits.

I buy 2 of these at once at Mary Jane, I know from experience 1 won’t getter done. I crush those beer cans against my head, and if you don’t believe me I’ll post a video.

49B0E47E-57EB-40C6-8547-C4830F442732.jpeg

This is real ski lift operator, the ones that climb the poles and are always dirty. You can see him in pic below at the top, stuck on this lift what seemed 45 minutes but this guy got it going. It’s cool, I worked on my sun tan.

92B24B22-F16F-405D-9593-47711152D47A.jpeg

Shots top of panaramic, awesome

6F753448-CBD0-4795-BA0B-D7BB839C18C0.jpeg

EA3112B1-74D4-4712-A871-E5C669C83056.jpeg
516FF839-4BDA-494F-BB9D-2CBCE7AB151C.jpeg

Last edited:

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My last day of the season, and what a great ender at Mary Jane. I woke up this morning hoping Sleeper was groomed, and the snow gods graced me with Sleeper and Derailer. There was smoke coming off my ski edges today. Challenger lift rocks, no lines!!

23E2A9FA-3FA5-471B-B298-F2D87BA21380.jpeg

ABC09282-5F38-4FAC-B96A-EB8843F10F3C.jpeg

When I ski bummed here in the early 80’s, this was out of bounds, we used to ski “the chutes” down to the road and hitch back up to challenger lift. Not sure why it is closed, I guess avalanche? We never worried about that in the 80’s, we are lucky, the snow gods watched over us.

C69FE2D6-FE14-4205-824C-D43C4D9F400D.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I don't see the can imprint, @Tex. I, too, like the Voodoo Ranger. The Imperial version is killer, too.

Yesterday and today were DH at Cooper. Glorious weather: warm, sunny and little wind.

This morning's view from the start:
IMG_20210402_091642457_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210402_063303072.jpg
My skis for the day.

The morning ride up.
IMG_20210402_090549225.jpg
Yesterday I shot video so got two runs in. The first was fast, the second (during the last run of the day) not so much. I redeemed myself today with 3 times within 4 tenths of each other. My middle name is consistent.

IMG_20210402_095326657_HDR.jpg
Boy that mountain is Massive!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, those poor harmless bumps on Derailer. Horrifying. Stop the brutal grooming!
Grooming black runs is no easy task, the groomers that do this work don’t get enough credit. Carving on black groomed don’t get much better.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Grooming black runs is no easy task, the groomers that do this work don’t get enough credit. Carving on black groomed don’t get much better.
They can groom the crap out of the Winter Park side all they like. The Jane is a special place for bumps. Only the Jane trail and Sleeper are to be groomed. Bad juju on Alterra for grooming Derailer. It's a bump run and should stay that way. Always.

Edit: and way to really screw up Frenchman by running a cat track through it. Great idea to funnel a bunch of people to the Jane that can't ski bumps. Boo.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
They can groom the crap out of the Winter Park side all they like. The Jane is a special place for bumps. Only the Jane trail and Sleeper are to be groomed. Bad juju on Alterra for grooming Derailer. It's a bump run and should stay that way. Always.

Edit: and way to really screw up Frenchman by running a cat track through it. Great idea to funnel a bunch of people to the Jane that can't ski bumps. Boo.

You gotta wonder where these kinds of decisions are coming from. The fastest way to screw up the best bumps on the planet is to allow a bunch of bad bumpers onto those runs.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
You gotta wonder where these kinds of decisions are coming from. The fastest way to screw up the best bumps on the planet is to allow a bunch of bad bumpers onto those runs.

Most skiers hate moguls. That is fact. That is why Vail got so popular. They even groom one or two runs on each bowl. The best bump runs are the ones that have at least one bump free option down that way all the bad skiers and boarders are not screwing up the bumps.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Most skiers hate moguls. That is fact. That is why Vail got so popular. They even groom one or two runs on each bowl. The best bump runs are the ones that have at least one bump free option down that way all the bad skiers and boarders are not screwing up the bumps.

Actually what we often see happen is that if there's an obvious "escape valve", bad bumpers will venture in and out of the mogul field, cutting horrible traverse lines across the slope. At MJ, you have beautiful perfect bump lines from edge to edge down the slopes with no outlet. Just the way it should be... ;)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Saturday the course was really firm and smooth. Whereas times on Friday were into the 58s, we started in the 55s. Timing of turns was radically different and exciting. I was one of the 55s in the opening training run and 4th overall in both race runs, 2nd and first in class. All in all a good day. I was within 1 second in the first race and 1.2 in the second. Not as close as I'd like to be, but not bad for 63 y.o. racing 30 and 40 y.o.

Today we had a 'surprise' forerunner. Can you tell who? Of course you can. I put her name in the title. :rolleyes:

She was 'roaring' with the RMM's president's 2 y.o. daughter in the finish, I'm told.

We are grateful for Franz Fuxburger arranging for her to forerun the races.

IMG_20210404_102120659_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210404_102125744_HDR.jpg
Pre-run stretching.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Oh, and I was chief cat herder at the start.

IMG_20210404_175209987.jpg
I neglected to get a photo on the mountain but dressed back up for the record.

Sarah had a 'steal your face' sticker on her helmet from her dad's shop. I had a 'steal your face' pin a friend gave me a while back. Long live the Dead.

IMG_20210404_175721744.jpg

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was well worth the trip from Boston - been skiing here at Breck since Friday. Saturday was hot - no cloud cover and the sun was working its magic all over the mountain. Had some delightful cream cheese runs in Whales Tale & Vertigo and off of Peak 6 - Amen was sublime. In the afternoon enjoyed Windows 2. Today, with the partly cloudy skies, it took until 11 am for the alpine to soften, but in the meantime we enjoyed several groomers and Amen before heading up Imperial to do Imperial bowl, whales tail, vertigo. After lunch tiger woods didn’t disappoint and Windows 2 then Windows 5 were a delight. Finished the day on Peak 10 with several runs in the Burn and trees between corsair and spit fire then some zoomers down Centennial, Double Jack, and Crystal. Finished today with about 29.4K of vertical and had I known I was that close to 30K, I would have squeezed in another run. Monday will spend some time with @Doug Briggs before catching an evening flight back to Boston.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
We're looking at doing a trip to Breck this month (during late April) or early May. But I'm having trouble figuring out what lifts are closing when, what shuttle service exists this late, and how late the breck connect gondola runs. I would call Breck, but that would be a fruitless exercise given past experience with Vail call centers.

Has any of this been announced? Anyone have a good link to this information?

Found this for shuttles, but it doesn't elaborate on when "Winter" ends. https://www.breckfreeride.com/routes-schedules
I couldn't find on the Breck website any spring/late season operation details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online