• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Skied Heavenly 10:30am to about 2:15pm getting in 9 runs on Canyon Express for about 9k feet. More cars in the parking lot than I expected though most seemed to be still stuck down at the base as I rode up. Glad I decided in getting up at dawn for the long 210 mile drive as epic first ski day of season. Even at midday lines were always less than 10 minutes, usually about 6. Gunbarrel downloading line at 3pm was short. After a post lunch increases, after 1pm lines soon dwindled as pre-season wimpyness rose. At 4 hour drive point had reached Ski Run Blvd while experiencing little traffic. Note fastest way from South Bay that avoids weekday commute traffic in Sacramento that has become impossible due to the growth of Elk Grove. Easiest cheap gas is in Placerville by turning right on Canal Street then right on Main Sreet that was $3/gal. Missouri Flat Road has new Walmart and Walgreens for any last minute supplies.:

I680
SR84 through Livermore
I580 through Tracy, Lathrop,
SR4 through Stockton
SR99
SR88 through Lockeford
SR124 through Ione
SR16
SR49 through Plymouth, EL Dorado
Pleasant Valley Road
Missouri Flat Road through Diamond Springs
US50 through Placerville
Pioneer Trail
Ski Run Blvd

SSSdave

Skier
Yesterday Tuesday 11/24 skied Heavenly 10:30am to about 2:15pm without a lunch break. After getting up the mountain that was 9 runs on 1k vertical Canyon Express. About 10:30am at base of Gunbarrel and Powderbowl Express, not only were all people masked up but a second lift attendant was actively moving up and down the roped space between lift lines asking those minor numbers that were wearing a mask below their noses to pull them up. There were signs at each lift stating policy. Oddly at the Canyon Express lift that was the primary lift skiers/boarders used once up the mountain there was only one attendant all day long and he was a bit overwhelmed mainly just involved in directing singles joining groups from 2 lines while a third line was not directed. He had to ask every group if they minded a single joining them and almost all said ok, sure. On that quad chair singles in the not directed third line sometimes on their own joined since their entry point was beyond the attendant. Three single groupings is not per policy on the quad chair however I personally think that is fine as long as masks are on above noses. Heavenly needs to re-rope the maze if they expect just one attendant, that could just be a weekday early season lack of employees issue. Wiser would be to put the singles line lookers right closer to the next load board so they can join on their own given a simple sign explaining how that works.

At 11am most of those in maze lines had their masks up above their nose but by mid day and into the afternoon increasing numbers did not. During my first two rides, a couple times with a voice loud enough that all in the maze could hear "Mask up people including over your noses." Each time that caused most not in compliance to do so with a lot of others nodding heads in agreement though a few ignored that until reaching the attendant who then requested they do so. Such often had their masked down below their chins and were talking to others in their group. Was surprised to see there were more skiers older than 40 being resistant than young adults. Breezes were light all day and temperature rose into low 40F's by noon making mask wearing in line after whatever effort skiing down slopes an unpleasant humid experience. Accordingly increasing numbers of people upon reaching the maze left their mask down below noses that makes masks useless. By 1pm it was rather bad. Wearing a mask so on warm spring days will be impossible so something is going to need to change. On a 10 point scale I'd rate my usual urban street walking dance aerobic workouts a 1, while going to supermarkets with a P100 mask 3, to supermarkets with a common surgical mask 4 or 5, and yesterday's skiing a 7. So somewhat more dangerous than what I've experienced the last few months.

I wore one of those lightweight pale blue standard surgical masks with ear elastic band loops that was below helmet and goggles. My first run of the season down Ridge Run was a cruise non-stop while wearing the mask and arrived back at lift fine with mask on. After a second run down nicely groomed Ridge Run, did 6 runs down ungroomed partially moguled High Five and bumped up Double Down. The bump runs had me breathing hard enough I preferred to push the mask down below my chin and that is obviously how I will ski such runs this year in order to get enough oxygen. By afternoon something was making my ears sore so need to figure out how to wear the mask without the ear loops.

For you advanced mogul capable skies noting the below Google Earth 3D images, there will be plenty challenging for a season start until our next storm that won't be anytime soon according to latest forecasts. Did slide lightly over a few rocks so will need a very minor bit of work on Santa Ana's. Anyone without good control ought be very careful as increasing rocks will be rising to the surface including loose rocks that can be difficult to see ahead. On the second image below, there were lots of rocks on looker's right below 9350 feet so move through that section slow. At 9100 on that image, the trail splits with the less steep route out of image left while one needs to traverse way right to 9050 towards lift to reach Double Down that is right above the lift maze. On Double down avoid skier's right by staying between lift tower 6,5,4 and shaded lines left side where there is deeper snow without obstacles.

CanyonExpress1.jpg

CanyonExpress2.jpg

CanyonExpress3.jpg

CanyonExpress4.jpg

DoubleDown1.jpg

DoubleDown2.jpg

First bump run of the season skied non-stop from top of lift all the way down to a bit below tower 4. Most of time stopped just above the maze as shown in order to re-position my mask to get in line. Although wearing the mask in the line after strenuous exertion was uncomfortable, that needs to be accepted as part of the game lest our fun become banned.

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Met @oldfashoned and @Mendieta at Alpine today. Snow was soft, but felt like it has been rained on a while back. Several off-piste areas were skiable and there were lots of skiers going for it. The ungroomed runs alrady had big moguls from yesterday's "soft-open". No long lines today either though. Don't think we waited more than a few minutes ever. And on Yellow it was mostly no wait at all. Unfortunately- mostly cloudy (with some breaks like in this photo) and flat light with wind in bursts - was the only negative.

Bill's son Bill, my daughter, and Leo
PXL_20201125_194926291-01.jpeg

Bill was done with groomers after the group pic :D
PXL_20201125_195028542-01.jpeg

Last edited:

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
I cringe whenever I see anyone leaning skis against their vehicle, and have warned friends about leaning them against mine. Sometimes even without a little wind or someone slamming a door, both skis and vehicle can end up with damage.
So my 12 year son & I built this to hold our skis and poles for this week's outing at Mammoth. I'm a bit particular about paint work and scratches.

Attachments

• skis - Copy.jpg
    skis - Copy.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 22

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Best day of the season at Squaw today!

Those who are afraid, pessimistic or greedily protective of their turf won't like this post. Because it was fantastic skiing today. Forget La Nina drought - the coverage was good and the entire mountain was white. Forget covid vectors - everyone kept their distance, wore masks appropriately and behaved. Forget WROD issues - there was untracked powder and off piste terrain. The only disturbing thing was that so few people showed up to enjoy the skiing. Too many people scared away by all the negative chatter?

Four inches of powder over a rock free base made for incredible conditions - by any measure and at any time of the season. Bluebird skies and weather that allowed the conditions to persist made for a perfect environment. Everybody from lifties to patrol to the other skiers seemed genuinely stoked to be there. The season is off to a great start! I can't remember a better day before Thanksgiving ever.

Tomorrow will bring firmer snow, more crowds and a sore body. But I plan to enjoy it to the fullest.

Eric

Excellent! Ski it like you stole it!! Definitely need to get it while we still can. Won't be skiing until next week (hopefully) due to sick pets, but planning on starting at Sugar Bowl, with Squalpine as back up.

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
Skied Alpine for a few hours today. We got there after they had just opened TLC. 45 minutes later they opened Yellow chair.

Alpine is skiing great for what they have open. We had a lot of fun.

Also, everyone was wearing a mask. It was really great to see. Compared to my two experiences at Boreal this year seeing everyone wear masks was a very welcome sight. Thank you Alpine for enforcing mask wearing!

Here's a few pics from today:

Alpine_Meadows_001.png Alpine_Meadows_002.png Alpine_Meadows_003.png Alpine_Meadows_004.png Alpine_Meadows_006.png Alpine_Meadows_007.png Alpine_Meadows_008.png Alpine_Meadows_009.png Alpine_Meadows_0010.png

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Strange weather today for Tahoe.

We didn't go to Sierra, but from their posts saw that they wete on wind hold from 8am itself and around 9:45am they closed for the day.

Alpine was cold, cloudy and windy at 9am. With only Roundhouse spinning, the line got long. It was still moving quicky, but the hike to the top of the line of you didn't come down from right above it was a pain - as seen in Phil's pic earlier here.

We did get to meet and ski a couple of quick runs with @Philpug & @Tricia

PXL_20201126_175426152-01.jpeg

We left Alpine just around when they started spinning TLC. Drove over to Squaw and it was bluebird. :rolleyes: (from @ProLeisure 's Alpine pics, looks like it cleared up there too).

Squaw had Exhibition (mid station), Red Dog, Far East, and Squaw Creek spinning. The best snow was the upper 1/3rd of the runs off Squaw Creek/Red Dog top. Once you got lower, it was scraped off stuff. No long lines anywhere, which was nice. Far East was straight to chair even.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Strange weather today for Tahoe.

We didn't go to Sierra, but from their posts saw that they wete on wind hold from 8am itself and around 9:45am they closed for the day.

Alpine was cold, cloudy and windy at 9am. With only Roundhouse spinning, the line got long. It was still moving quicky, but the hike to the top of the line of you didn't come down from right above it was a pain - as seen in Phil's pic earlier here.

We did get to meet and ski a couple of quick runs with @Philpug & @Tricia

View attachment 116042

We left Alpine just around when they started spinning TLC. Drove over to Squaw and it was bluebird. :rolleyes: (from @ProLeisure 's Alpine pics, looks like it cleared up there too).

Squaw had Exhibition (mid station), Red Dog, Far East, and Squaw Creek spinning. The best snow was the upper 1/3rd of the runs off Squaw Creek/Red Dog top. Once you got lower, it was scraped off stuff. No long lines anywhere, which was nice. Far East was straight to chair even.

Maybe we should have gone with you.
We did a lap off TLC but opted to head home and take Gypsy for a walk before stuffing ourselves.
It was great to meet up with you. Will definitey get more turns in with you when things shake out and more terrain opens.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Northstar opened comstock today, great day for skiing though things were super cold at the top of the mountain
Glad they're opeing more terrain. It was super cold everywhere today.
Hearing how cold it is everywhere is promising to me because it's prime snowmaking weather.
I bet we see more terrian opening everywhere soon.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aaaaand Sugarbowl just cancelled opening Lincoln chair earlier this morning. "Mechanical issues"
Sounds like they expect it to be running by tomorrow .......

SSSdave

Skier
Kirkwood opens next Friday December 4. Epic website info shows pass holders will be able to reserve early season week dates beginning Wednesday December 2 at 12pm PST. Expect to try and get a reservation for that day as the snow ought be nicely unmutilated with less a crowd versus Saturday. They've had lots of time to groom whatever opens nicely smooth and with freeze thaw cycles that ought make for some smooth runs for edging fun. Will work on Santa Ana edges and base tomorrow. Nothing up on their site about conditions or lift opening however I'll guess 5,11,1 with 6 limited Zaks and Janek maybe Sentinel given the snowfall at nearby CDEC Caples sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid