• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Where are the best places at Heavenly to avoid heavy winds that are coming tues/wed?

Preferably on the Nevada side? I assume Mott's, but I am also going to have my wife and/or kids with me at some point. And Mott's is not on their menu.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where are the best places at Heavenly to avoid heavy winds that are coming tues/wed?

Preferably on the Nevada side? I assume Mott's, but I am also going to have my wife and/or kids with me at some point. And Mott's is not on their menu.
Stagecoach is pretty protected, maybe Olympic

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Note I haven't skied heavenly this year, but
if it is that windy that its uncomfortable they're going to shut down all the upper lifts. then with no new snow for weeks, your terrain choices are limited anyway.
So there isn't really much need to discuss a strategy because if conditions turn out as you say, you wont have multiple options to choose between.

On NV side, the Outlaw Galaxy area was expanded specifically to give more storm /high wind terrain, but that doesn't appear to be open.

But yes, olympic to stagecoach is the typical play. and you poke over to northbowl to check it out.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Note I haven't skied heavenly this year, but
if it is that windy that its uncomfortable they're going to shut down all the upper lifts. then with no new snow for weeks, your terrain choices are limited anyway.
So there isn't really much need to discuss a strategy because if conditions turn out as you say, you wont have multiple options to choose between.

On NV side, the Outlaw Galaxy area was expanded specifically to give more storm /high wind terrain, but that doesn't appear to be open.

But yes, olympic to stagecoach is the typical play. and you poke over to northbowl to check it out.
I hadn't thought of Galaxy. It has been a few years since I've skied heavenly and that was a powder day and my family wasn't with me. That will be perfect for them under the anticipated conditions.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I hadn't thought of Galaxy. It has been a few years since I've skied heavenly and that was a powder day and my family wasn't with me. That will be perfect for them under the anticipated conditions.
Reminder that Galaxy has not been open AFAIK so far this season. Not sure why as they should have had enough snow. My only day at Heavenly this season was Thursday, 1/7 and to add on to what @John Webb said "Best to skip weekends (or come early/leave early) and now Fridays to avoid lines.". For me, even with all scheduled lifts running, Dipper and Sky had longer lines more of the day than I liked on the first Thursday of 2021.

While I rode and skied both Mott and North Bowl three times each, they are more difficult than usual and will probably be closed on Tuesday. The entrance to main part of North Bowl run (below base of Olympic chair) is not recommended as it's very rocky. You need to go into the trees to the left and them come out onto run. Mott also require good knowledge of usual entries and is more of a don't fall zone than usual. If winds are 50 mph at Lake level and 100 mph over the top (as BA predicts), Stagecoach may be only lift possibly running on NV side on Tues.

Just before the top of North Bowl chair is very wind-exposed (they have a shack there to monitor how it's affecting chairs) and if it's windy enough early to keep Comet and Dipper from opening, they usually do not open Mott, unless winds come up after 10 AM. If winds are as high as predicted, Olympic is not likely to be running and snow could get stripped from a lot of NV side. Don't forget about Boulder chair as it could be more protected from NE winds than Stagecoach, although it's not high-speed and only services one (advanced) beginner run.

For more pictures and report from 1/7, see post at Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - South Lake Tahoe skiing, CA (and some NV) 1/6-8/2021 (firsttracksonline.com) Following picture is entrance to North Bowl on that day where they are re-directing you into trees. 0962NorthBowlEntranceCRR.JPG

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Reminder that Galaxy has not been open AFAIK so far this season. Not sure why as they should have had enough snow. Will add more with an edit.
Didn't they update Galaxy chair from the super slow 15min ride to a newer faster chair a few seasons ago?
When it was that slow chair, that area was always empty.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reminder that Galaxy has not been open AFAIK so far this season. Not sure why as they should have had enough snow. Will add more with an edit.
Theres info on lift blog, I remember they recycled in a "new lift" from another resorts upgrade 2019, after the old one died. its still a fixed grip, but now its a super speedy 14min (lol). But they did dump in cash to put in this replacement, so it is a reinvestment.

yea galaxy has always been an odd lift out, long ride with not a huge amount of vert, so not many guests use it so doesn't really pay for itself. In a costcutting season, it'd be a easy decision not to open it.
Only really visited by those looking for last stashes or mellow sight seeing as it goes over a nice little pond. (or during storm days as was part of the plan as its relatively protected).

I remember its only real draw was back in the day it was used for valentines blind dating event, as it was long enough for you to have a speed date over some pretty terrain, and the speeddate event wouldnt interfere with regular ops as nobody goes there anyway unless they took a wrong turn.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Galaxy1.jpg

Galaxy terrain...my favorite dense tree choice after cold storms after most of the mountain fresh snow has been tracked out. Certain to be too thin currently. Above is a crop from a Heavenly map I created that may sell with similar others in ski shops.

Given this current unseasonably balmy week, lower elevation runs even on relatively shady north facing runs are likely to be rather thin. Thus not a time for non-locals to bother skiing. A major pattern change begins tomorrow with storms at least a week out. My physical condition suffered this last month due to a holiday diet and generally lazy attitude towards exercise while temperatures have been cool. However with snows coming, began jogging and working out a couple days ago and boy did my lungs need it. No more ice cream, sweets, and potato chips for awhile too haha.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What might the chances be for open lifts at squalpine with 60+ mph wind gusts as forecast for Monday/Tuesday?

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Skied for a couple of hours in the afternoon today at Diamond Peak (1pm-3pm).

Getting really thin here now. On the Upper mountain, only Crystal Ridge & Flume are worth skiing. Lower mountain runs in much better condition and all the open runs are still good. No crowds today afternoon - straight to chair almost every time. But by the time I was on the show, the corn was smashed and pushed into lumps all over.

Also a high number of squatters today. I don't think I completed a single lap without having to take evasive manoeuvers.

Hottest day so if the season for me so far. T-shirt would have been enough. Classic Juneuary. :roflmao:

As usual, great views. This one is from Lakeview chair from the base-
PXL_20210117_223711464-01.jpeg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Reminder that Galaxy has not been open AFAIK so far this season. Not sure why as they should have had enough snow. My only day at Heavenly this season was Thursday, 1/7 and to add on to what @John Webb said "Best to skip weekends (or come early/leave early) and now Fridays to avoid lines.". For me, even with all scheduled lifts running, Dipper and Sky had longer lines more of the day than I liked on the first Thursday of 2021.

While I rode and skied both Mott and North Bowl three times each, they are more difficult than usual and will probably be closed on Tuesday. The entrance to main part of North Bowl run (below base of Olympic chair) is not recommended as it's very rocky. You need to go into the trees to the left and them come out onto run. Mott also require good knowledge of usual entries and is more of a don't fall zone than usual. If winds are 50 mph at Lake level and 100 mph over the top (as BA predicts), Stagecoach may be only lift possibly running on NV side on Tues.

Just before the top of North Bowl chair is very wind-exposed (they have a shack there to monitor how it's affecting chairs) and if it's windy enough early to keep Comet and Dipper from opening, they usually do not open Mott, unless winds come up after 10 AM. If winds are as high as predicted, Olympic is not likely to be running and snow could get stripped from a lot of NV side. Don't forget about Boulder chair as it could be more protected from NE winds than Stagecoach, although it's not high-speed and only services one (advanced) beginner run.

For more pictures and report from 1/7, see post at Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - South Lake Tahoe skiing, CA (and some NV) 1/6-8/2021 (firsttracksonline.com) Following picture is entrance to North Bowl on that day where they are re-directing you into trees. View attachment 121156
Yep. Going up North bowl chair today it took one glance to say no way for now. Still a nice day of groomer skiing with the family today. Surprisingly, the lower runs like Boulder and Stagecoach had the best snow.

It was dust on crust everywhere, but the crust wasn't too hard and the dust wasn't too deep. The higher and steeper slopes were piled up in some places and scraped off in others. The lower were just nice grippy fast skiing moderate angles. Fun for my first day since February 2020 :-(.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yea Boulder and stagecoach are strategic in the lift network, so probably were built up with snowblowing, and grooming/farming snow down those paths to ensure its good for the whole season.

olympic to stagecoach was/is the downhill course, so IIRC under the snow, the terrain is pretty smooth, and conducive to keeping snow and having a good run

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Friday and Sunday at Heavenly and I agree with @skibob and @raytseng. The Nevada side was definitely the place to be. The snow on Olympic was great. The lines did not feel like holiday traffic. The Boulder parking lot was easy in and out. Keep in mind the lift at Boulder is slow, but without ski school happening it wasn’t bad.

I give major props to Heavenly for tightening up their covid protocols. I was there opening week and it was 100 times better. Staff were all over the lines reminding people to “cover up your nose so we don’t close.” The traffic control at Dipper was also great.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Really nice day at Sierra today. My usual 8:30am-1:30pm "day".

Windy in the parking lot only. No issues on the mountain. Zero crowd. Straight to chair almost the entire time I was there today. Much cooler than yesterday. Felt like winter again and all layers needed. Snow didn't corn till past noon.

Groomers only for me, again. The only thin cover section was the top of upper Powderhorn. This is an area that gets wind scoured usually. Ungroomed bumps runs also looking rough, with shrubs and trees sticking out everywhere. Hopefully the storm cycle starting Friday and into next week confirms and we get some good coverage back. Maybe even a few powder days.

Got to try out a "unicorn" mount on my helmet with the GoPro Max. The extension bar is in the blind spot of the 360 camera and gets automatically removed on the overlapping stitch.
Screenshot_20210118-135354-01.jpeg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Smells like winter folks. With a winter storm cycle due across Tahoe next week, am thinking it would be nice if maybe one or two (for sake of virus) of you lurking ski .. board gals we can all trust each other with, have a place (share your cost) up at South Lake Tahoe/Kingsbury would enjoy my hanging out with you some over next week during the cycle where I'd be driving to Heavenly. Then storm skiing Nevada side through the week would be most fun as the prime directive. In a snap can even sleep in backbed of my Forester given a legal parking spot, as am nicely set up as I've done for decades dipsersed camping anywhere in the state, all seasons. If you ski good fun, join me at least some. If you can ski trees awesome. If you can storm ski in low wind storms in trees we'll get married haha. :Cristmassnow: He's never snored, like a quiet happy puppy, classic rock person and yes can d, and am clean like fresh spring lupine. PM

Last edited:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really nice day at Sierra today. My usual 8:30am-1:30pm "day".

Windy in the parking lot only. No issues on the mountain. Zero crowd. Straight to chair almost the entire time I was there today. Much cooler than yesterday. Felt like winter again and all layers needed. Snow didn't corn till past noon.

Groomers only for me, again.

Exactly my experience at Heavenly today. I was surprised how light the lines were. Even at noon Sky and Canyon only had 1-2 minute lines and Stagecoach was 3-4 minutes. My friend reported much longer lines at North Star this weekend, and the Epic app showed the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online